huskies and collars

naomiJayne

A person I work with has two huskies and of course knows everything there is too know about the breed. Well apparently huskies should NEVER wear collars because it damages their fur?

True/False?

I explained why I won't let Kira out of the house without a collar on (escaping that time without one on) but in the end I had to walk away as this particular person is of a higher status than me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She's your dog. :)

Qilaq wears a collar now and then - never notice any damage to her fur.

If she's in the house with me I take it off her but if she steps foot outside the door she has one on. She is microchipped but when she escaped it was that much more scary because I knew she didn't have a collar on.

mine ALWAYS wear a collar that has their tags on - and for walks i use a harness and a semi-slip

whenever i take their collars off n brush them - u cant tell they have had collars on - tho they do wear them loose maybe thats why

i can imagine wearing tight collars all the time might flatten the fur or damage it

the boys keep their collars on 24/7 unless being brushed or bathed

skyla has hers taken off when we go out n they are left in the house on their own cuz she eats them :/

The only time ours don't have collars on is when they are home alone and the doors are locked and at night.

If someone opens the door (ahem...OH's parents) without thinking (ahem) and lets my dogs out (aheeeeem....has happened before...will more than likely happen again!)....i want to know they are wearing their ID. They're both microchipped to. But microchips can be hard to find. They have to wear them for walks too incase they slip their harness.

Never noticed any problems but teeko used to have quite a heavy nylon one that he hated. He now wears a much lighter, softer leather one and it doesn't bother him a bit.

Oh and as for patronising irritation.....next time they whitter on about huskies and their infinite knowledge....sing ten green bottles in your head! They'll have done one before you get to 5! Hehe!

my guys wear flat collars which are fitted so they cant slip out of them, so they look fairly tight but you can get a couple of fingers underneath.

they do flatten the fur a little, but if you take the collars off and fluff them up you can see that the fur isnt damaged.

they wear the collars 24/7 unless im brushing or bathing them

Never had any issues with collars. I always have one on Echo, only as means of identification, because I always walk her in harness and if she managed to get out of it and took off, she at least has her collar with id tags (not to mention microchip!). The only time I take the collar off is when I am at work. Even though it's a quick release, I get paranoid about it getting caught on to something and her struggling and injuring herself. I also take it off at bedtime.

We have the semi slip collars and they wear them constantly. I've never noticed any damage to coats. I will say a previous partner who had two husky's which is where I got my passion for the breed,(missed them not the bloke) Never had collars on his except to take them out, but he used to let them off so they'd be over the fields collarless. They were very good boyz an in the 3 yrs I knew them never did a runner on me.

When Saf first got ill she became very aggressive towards Peppa an we had a couple of incidents involving teeth getting stuck in collars an took them off everyone. The girls have since calmed considerably and collars are back, my main concern is if they ever go over the fence, a tag can be seen instantly and calls made. Chips are great but you have to get them to a place they can be read, there in the dilema. Time

The story of me ending up in the nac in the garden will keep lol