First time rehoming

Chris83

Ok everyone,

If everything goes as planned i shall be rehoming a lovely 2 year old spayed female on saturday who will be a playmate for my 11month neutered male.

i have never rehomed a dog before and would love your guys tips on making things go smoothly.

the initial interaction is on neutral ground i do cage kai if left alone and i have a sparkling new cage awaiting our newcomer.

love to hear your thoughts

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

expect some sort of fighting to happen - the new girl might try n be 'alpha' over kai which could end up a scrap - it might not but just be prepared incase

i would remove all toys at first aswell n be careful feeding them (maybe do that opposite ends of a room or in seperate rooms) to let them get used to each other first as they might end up getting possessive over food and toys aswell

OOHHH Chris you talked her into it :) not much help here though I'm afraid as mine where all puppies when I introduced them to the pack :) Sure there will be some tips for you from those that have rehomed... Just remember she'll take time to settle in and Kia will also need time to adjust Good luck and keep us informed..

See you soon with maybe two dogs :)

We never have issues introducing new dogs to our pack because ours are so used to playing with dogs at the dog park. They look at new members as playmates immediately. The only territorial issue was during feeding time. Usually one of us will feed and stand between the troublemakers. It deters any kind of food aggression or stealing and asserts our dominance as alpha.

Sometimes it can be helpful to introduce the dogs off your property and walk them in the house together if you think there might be a problem. That way they've met on neutral territory....we have not had to do this with current dogs, but long ago when we owned labs we did this.

I have two rehomes. When Ollie and Bo first met it was on a play date, then they didn't meet for a week. I did the following:

No toys

Feeding was outside at either end of the patio. Bo was fed first followed by Ollie, this helps Bo keep his alpha role as first in the house, but I can see that slowly changing. Ollie is a food bolter but not food aggressive so there was a chance he would try and eat Bo's who is the world's slowest eater. I hand fed Ollie to slow him down as well as get to bond with him. I then put ceramic planter blocks in this food bowl which slowed him down. Now they eat in the kitchen together and have their feeding positions. You may well find that crate feeding may help.

I gave no treats in the house to begin with but out on a walk at the off lead area I used them to teach recall. Ollie just followed what Bo was doing and learnt quickly as he is food orientated.

You may well find that your newbie has an upset tum on the first night due to the stress of change. Get some Prokolin in as it is worth its weight in gold. I had an upset tum with Bo, but not with Ollie, but then this could be down to the fact that Ollie has had multiple homes before he came to me at 9 months. Huskies are highly intelligent dogs, as we know, and change can be very upsetting for them. I would say it took Ollie much longer to settle as I think he was always expecting to be moved on again. I now have the problem that he has separation anxiety when he is separated from Bo when left home alone without him. He is ok with me but you can hear him howling at the top of his voice if Bo and I go out. What I am saying is if you can find out the history may help, but your dog's character will evolve over a period of weeks and months.

Try and find out if your newbie is crated trained already otherwise you are going to have to teach crate training.

To-date (5 months) neither of mine have had a fight but they love husky boxing. I have a word "enough" which I use when they are either getting to boisterous or I've had enough.

One thing that Bo did was to begin with he started to sleep in my room by the side of y bed and wouldn't let Ollie in the room as if to stamp his authority as the first dog. I didn't tell Bo off for this as it wasn't agressive just him stamping his position in the pack. Now he is quite happy to have him in as Ollie knows his place e.g. he let Bo say hello first to me when I come in and then he says hello (both of the together).

Hope this helps and congratulations on your rehome and well done for giving a forever home.

thanks for all the useful tips. i have another problem to overcome now i ordered some long lines and harness's for the dogs as i cant find anywhere secure to off leash but thwy havent come in time. all i have is standard size leads. could i use rope or the bungee type rope you get from bnq?

Hi Chris, well done on rescuing :D

Both times we've brought a new one in we've gone for a walk together before letting the new one in the house then the only thing we've done is fed them apart and until we were happy, kept the toys to a minimum. Bringing Miko in has been easier than bringing Blue in as Taiya has been far more accepting of "oh god, another one" and Miko and Blue slept together in the largest crate from night one.

As for walking, the initial walk we did was on short leads anyway - would you be okay for a day or two till the new ones turned up?

Good luck and remember .................. :click:

Ok everyone,

If everything goes as planned i shall be rehoming a lovely 2 year old spayed female on saturday who will be a playmate for my 11month neutered male.

i have never rehomed a dog before and would love your guys tips on making things go smoothly.

the initial interaction is on neutral ground i do cage kai if left alone and i have a sparkling new cage awaiting our newcomer.

love to hear your thoughts

Hi Chris i'm bringing a foster dog "Max" into my pack tomorrow :) i'm a first timer too. thanks for the thread it gives a good insight into what to expect ... good luck, and i'm sure they will be just fine :)

looks like you have had great advice as always from our brilliant members - nothing more for me to add really!!!!

EXCEPT ....................

Loads of welcome home pics if it all goes to plan!!

As for walking her with the pack at the weekend - see how she goes with you all first, she may be a little overwhelmed with moving, but if you think she is not nervous & seems to be settled on the Sunday, try it! We walked Kaviq with our 2 and the Husky Owners pack the next day but he was still a 10 month old big baby who wanted to play with everyone! Your newbie will let you know if she's ready or not ;)

so we made the trip to meet kiana and they instantly hit it off plenty of husky boxing to start with and then a nice long walk they soon settled down together and where walking side by side so it was back to the car for a drink kiana immendiately relinquished her spec at the water bowl to kai and then drank after him. With Kai in the car kiana said her good byes and promptly jumped into the car the journey home was quiet and settled to the point they where grooming each other. once we arrived home ot was straight outside for more boxing and chasing KUYT!!!!!!!!!! GOALLLLLLLL GET IN !! sorry back on topic after half an jour play it was time to come i doors i figured one step at a time is best so got them settled in every room untill we are at the point that they are lay flat out on the floor and im watching the match and writing this! Photo's to follow soon.

Sounds to me like you've had a brilliant start. A tired husky is a happy husky and less likely to cause trouble. Long may your peaceful life continue. For us after 5 months I can't remember a time when we didn't have two furkids. Just over 12 months ago we were a husky free, tumbleweed free household. Now we have two who are blowing their coats and are as thick as thieves. Forgot to tell you you you'll find they egg each other on to do things e.g. dig holes in the what was once a lawn that had stripes in it and now looks like the battle of the Somme!!!!