"The Grey" - WTF?

BlueWolf

What I just read just blew my mind. The Grey is a movie about airplane crash survivors trying to survive in the wilderness while being hunted by a pack of wolves. It was already known they did not portrait the wolves in their most nice way, but apparently it's far worse than that. Apart from the most worst possible moment to release this, look what kind of news has recently been put online about it? Here are some excerpts:

A new Liam Neeson action thriller opening Friday is receiving howls of protest from wolf advocates. They say "The Grey" wrongly portrays wolves as massive, bloodthirsty beasts. And some wildlife groups are organizing a boycott.

When a plane crash strands a scruffy bunch of guys in the wilds of Alaska, they find themselves going mano a mano against some very mean looking wolves.

"I sat in a theater and the trailer came on and ... I was just, oh, I just felt sick when I saw it," says Wendy Keefover of WildEarth Guardians, a group that's trying to get the gray wolf back on the Endangered Species List.

Wolf advocates don't just object to the film itself.
The cast of "The Grey" reportedly got into character by dining on a wolf that had been trapped in Canada

Liam Neeson has been quoted as calling the meat "gamey."

This made me seriously go WTF?? Am I reading this correctly?? :jawdrop:

Apparently yes:

“I do a bit of trapping, so they came off my trap line,” says the 67-year-old McDiarmid, adding wolf skins fetch upwards of $100 each in the fur trade. He adds he’s never tried wolf meat himself.

“Well I guess if I was like in the movie, in the bush and starving. Otherwise I don’t think it would be high on my list.”

[There are] reports surfacing that the
director Joe Carnahan contacted a trapper for four wolves, two of which were eaten by the actors, and two more used on the set

Reading this really makes me sick in my stomachs! I can't believe what I'm #&$ reading here :mad: So they basically trapped four wolves (they keep saying it wasn't them who did it - but it where them who 'ordered' them), ate two and used the other two as decoration for the film.

There are protests of wolf advocates going on right now, including petitions probably. There is also a Facebook group about it to boycot The Grey.

I just wanted to share this with the rest members of the forum after to make you aware of this film and its story behind it. This is absolutely sickening me...

The page that made me aware of this + many more links can be find here.

How reliable are the sources, though? I can't click the link cause I'm extremely low on data. But if it's one of those gossip ones, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. Releasing a movie about wolves being vicious after wolves have been taken off the endangered list is just asking for rumors and trouble.

Don't get me wrong. I don't plan to even watch it. Just consider the source.

That being said, if it's a reliable source, I'm beyond words.

How reliable are the sources, though? I can't click the link cause I'm extremely low on data. But if it's one of those gossip ones, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. Releasing a movie about wolves being vicious after wolves have been taken off the endangered list is just asking for rumors and trouble.

Don't get me wrong. I don't plan to even watch it. Just consider the source.

That being said, if it's a reliable source, I'm beyond words.

One of the actors has been interviewed and has said it himself.

Well I will download it altho I dont know if I will really be able to watch it. Eating a wolf just sounds...stupid would you go and eat your dog ? no its just not something you eat even if you hunt it. I absolutly adore wolves and I hope these are just rumors because thats disgusting..

See what you have to remember is the main rule of media. ANY publicity is good publicity. Look at something like the da vinci code and the attention that got through negative controversial publicity. My take, yeah he's said it but its more likley to be a publicity stunt to get it in the media and get attention. And he has done just that. How many people do you think will watch it "just to see if its as bad as they think". Wrong or not, controversy sells.

When did this come out?? Since the nearest theatre is over 100 miles from me, I watch most of my movies on http://www.free-tv-video-online.me and it hasn't made it there yet.

Marc Dunc, take the link out if it's too inappropriate ... //al

There has to be some reality - in between movies that make it seems as if every wolf is a friendly family pet and those which portray them as the ultimate land carnivore - there has to be reality somewhere outside Nat Geo!

I've seen a few reliable sources stating those things. Before I even knew those things, just the plot of the movie made me feel sick! Wolves were just taken off the endangered species list out west last year and hunters and ranchers are going crazy hunting them and many of them think it's fun to gut shoot the wolves and let them die a slow death. I've read posts where hunters were bragging about it. Plus Montana has extended their wolf hunting season at least once and may even open it during the breeding and puppy season to "fill a quota" instead of just having a season. Wyoming is even worse! They want to be able to kill wolves by any means (trapping, shooting, smoking them out of their dens) and to be able to kill them any time of the year.

BTW, I read some reviews on the movie and apparently it is very graphic. Like one reviwer compared it to the Saw series.

I read one interview with the director (I think it was the director) and he really didn't understand why people would get upset over it. I think he truely thinks he made the wolves look bada** and like the heros or something and doesn't understand that people aren't going to think "Yay! Go wolves! Kill those guys!" they're more likely going to think "OMG! Wolves are extremely dangerous! Look at them tearing those guys to pieces!" Just not a good movie for wolves. :(

Al Jones, it's coming out tomorrow I believe.

I feel like I'm about to vomit... How heartless people can be??!! It's cruelty after cruelty WHERE is the law when we need it?! I hate, hate, HATE how people depict wolves that way >_< even a husky--a DOG that resembles a wolf--was often viewed as "vicious" and "dangerous" thanks to all these stupid movies/games =\

What I just read just blew my mind. The Grey is a movie about airplane crash survivors trying to survive in the wilderness while being hunted by a pack of wolves. It was already known they did not portrait the wolves in their most nice way, but apparently it's far worse than that. Apart from the most worst possible moment to release this, look what kind of news has recently been put online about it? Here are some excerpts:

A new Liam Neeson action thriller opening Friday is receiving howls of protest from wolf advocates. They say "The Grey" wrongly portrays wolves as massive, bloodthirsty beasts. And some wildlife groups are organizing a boycott.

When a plane crash strands a scruffy bunch of guys in the wilds of Alaska, they find themselves going mano a mano against some very mean looking wolves.

"I sat in a theater and the trailer came on and ... I was just, oh, I just felt sick when I saw it," says Wendy Keefover of WildEarth Guardians, a group that's trying to get the gray wolf back on the Endangered Species List.

Wolf advocates don't just object to the film itself.
The cast of "The Grey" reportedly got into character by dining on a wolf that had been trapped in Canada
Liam Neeson has been quoted as calling the meat "gamey."

This made me seriously go WTF?? Am I reading this correctly?? :jawdrop:

Apparently yes:

“I do a bit of trapping, so they came off my trap line,†says the 67-year-old McDiarmid, adding wolf skins fetch upwards of $100 each in the fur trade. He adds he’s never tried wolf meat himself.

“Well I guess if I was like in the movie, in the bush and starving. Otherwise I don’t think it would be high on my list.â€Â

[There are] reports surfacing that the
director Joe Carnahan contacted a trapper for four wolves, two of which were eaten by the actors, and two more used on the set

Reading this really makes me sick in my stomachs! I can't believe what I'm #&$ reading here :mad: So they basically trapped four wolves (they keep saying it wasn't them who did it - but it where them who 'ordered' them), ate two and used the other two as decoration for the film.

There are protests of wolf advocates going on right now, including petitions probably. There is also a Facebook group about it to boycot The Grey.

I just wanted to share this with the rest members of the forum after to make you aware of this film and its story behind it. This is absolutely sickening me...

The page that made me aware of this + many more links can be find here.

this is one of the most disturbing things ever ...as anyone with even 1 brain cell will know ...wolves DO NOT HUNT HUMAMS... we are supposed to be the intelligent form on the planet ...well draw your own conclusion ....

I agree with what Marc says...any publicity will do it the more controversial the better really for them....

I agree that if they did kill the 4 and eaten 2 of them that is just wrong......I for one will not be paying any money to watch this movie...

I'm still completely stumped. Last month the first wolf since 80 years finally reached California again, which was obvious great news to hear. Now they wanted to have the same wolf to walk on the red carpet at today's movie opening?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

http://www.jconline.com/article/20120127/OPINION03/120126023/Guest-column-Can-t-get-past-ethical-Grey-area

I'm still completely stumped. Last month the first wolf since 80 years finally reached California again, which was obvious great news to hear. Now they wanted to have the same wolf to walk on the red carpet at today's movie opening?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

http://www.jconline.com/article/20120127/OPINION03/120126023/Guest-column-Can-t-get-past-ethical-Grey-area

Are they going to eat that one too|? thats a stupid idea its a wild animal....so they are going to catch it and traumatize it all for a red carpet appearance