Will he my Husky be WOOLY?

Ludovic Dubeau

When they are puppies usually they will have tufts around thier ears and usually have frills around thier ruffs, feathery tails, wavy hair down their backs and/or other things. The big thing to look for is the long hair behind and around the ears. I think they look chubby...er Heres some pics I found of wooly babies

HOFF6492Logo5704.jpg

1311706146_232699764_1-Pictures-of--Wooly-husky-pups-for-sale.jpg

EcNightmareF4-800.jpg

okk , so it seems he won't be a wooly then. Also, He is only 6 weeks, but is very independent already. Can I make him sleep alone in his den or should I make him sleep in a box next to my bed ? I had him sleep in the box last night and it went well, the only downside is that he pees in it. If he sleeps in his den (cardboard castle) well then he can have access to his training mat. He is getting his first shot this monday, and then I can start taking him out to go pee and poopy !

If you don't mind my asking, why did you get him at six weeks? Normally pups should still be with their moms until they're 8 weeks old.

I would get him a small crate - you don't need anything too big right now - but maybe take the top off for now since he's still so young and put that beside your bed along with a blanket for him to sleep on. Because he is so young you should be getting him up and take him outside every couple of hours or so (or less; more experienced people here might be able to tell you how often). You can carry him outside, set him down and let him go then carry him back inside.

Very cute puppy!

Nope, that's a normal coat. A wooly coat is not only longer than normal, the normal coarse guard hairs are missing, so it's much softer than normal, and it's not as water repellant. In fact, it tends to really soak up the water, and then stay damp! I kept a friend's wooly for her for a couple of years, and when she was out in my kennel, I couldn't keep her dry in wet weather - or easily get her dry after she was wet! Unfortunately, it made it difficult to keep her coat clean and from matting. It was like felt - just wanted to form a solid web of fabric, right next to her skin!

Hello and welcome to the site. Milo is a very cute. We took Vlad at 6 weeks and we did not have any problems with him. Toilet training u can start if u have a garden Puppies have a strong urge to go to the toilet after sleeping, playing, feeding and drinking. Most puppies need to go to the loo at least every 3-4 hours use the command 'go for a wee' Wait for 5-10 minutes in the garden with your puppy and if they go to the loo, praise them! Crate training is the best think what we done with our Vlad, crate is used to keep your dog confined when you are not able to supervise him (keeps your house safe to not be destroyed) :P

Thanks for all your answers !! yes, I know he is too young, I was very concerned after I got him because the breeder told me 6 weeks was perfectly fine. They were eating dry food and the mom wasn't taking care of them anymore(she had 9) but then this is where the breeder should have come in and helped her. Anyways I called my vet and told her about my concern, she said there shouldn't be any problems, usually it's between 6 to 8 weeks that puppies come home. I 'm training him to pee and poop on a pad since I live in a (huge) apartment. I'm afraid he will get sick If I get him outside before he gets his first shot on Monday. What if he pees or stands right next to other dog poop and gets something ? btw, he'S ETING ALOT. I give him 1 cup in the morning mixed with water, half a cup for lunch and half a cup for dinner, and I take away the water 3 hours before bed. v

You might not want to take him out to areas where other dogs have been, since you live in an apartment situation, and as young as he is, until he's had several vaccination series in him. The vaccines given to puppies are against several different diseases (differs from area to area, and vet to vet, but the most common and important are parvovirus and distemper), and it's not known precisely when they will actually take effect.

Puppies get antibodies from the first milk they get from their mothers; how much/strong that maternal effect is depends on how high the "titer" was in the mom's system. It won't wear off until they've been weaned completely for at least a week, and antibodies for different vaccines leave the puppy's system at different times. If the puppy was weaned at 6 weeks, then, there may be antibodies for both parvo and distemper still in their system for several weeks, which is why puppies are vaccinated several times, several weeks apart. So, if you have your new puppy vaccinated at 8 weeks, one of the constituents, say for parvo, may have left the system so that the vaccine can take effect for that particular virus, but if there are still maternal antibodies in the puppy's system for distemper, the vaccine won't give any protection against that disease, and as the maternal antibodies in his system wear off, there could be days (or longer, depending on when they wear off) where the puppy has no protection against distemper before the next vaccinations are due... It usually takes a couple of days for the vaccines to take effect after they're given, as well...