Auburn couple accused of starving horse charged with animal cruelty

aronoiiel

Now there is a graphic depiction of a severely malnutrition horse so don't click if you have a weak tummy for it. I am curious though for any pet owner you would think if your animal doesn't eat that it has a medical problem and needs to see a vet right? I understand our huskies are a stubborn lot and Kiana can go days without food but doesn't it take months upon months for a horse to get to this point? I just don't get how they can say it's a wrong fact when the end result is that they neglected the care of the horse. I just don't get people sometimes :(

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Auburn-couple-accused-of-starving-horse-charged-with-animal-cruelty-138613544.html

Sadly, this is nothing new. Basically, it sounds like neglect through ignorance. A horse needs to be dewormed 3 to 4 times a year depending on where they live. First time owners who can't be bothered to research proper horse care wouldn't know that. Frequently their feet are neglected to, as they need to be trimmed every 6 to 10 weeks.

Just 3 years ago I kept my horse at a private property. They had just got a new horse that summer, and by January it was - well, not as thin as that boy - but all ribs and hip bones. He was eating well and all the rest of the horses were fat and happy, and I asked the owners what gives. The very first thing I asked them was when he was last dewormed. They said he was dewormed before they got him in July (which means he was probably last done in the spring). I told them that they needed to get him dewormed after the first hard frost in October/November, or else this happens when they go all winter full of parasites. I also told them to contact the other 3 boarders and let us all know what day they were deworming him - because our horses would have to be dewormed again within a week of that horse so they didn't all get reinfected.

But seriously, it doesn't concern you when a 1000 lb animal loses over 200 lbs?!! Maybe try calling a vet?! Even a consult would get that response. "Has he been dewormed? When were his teeth last done?" Most weight loss is attributed to either of these problems, which are simple fixes. If both are taken care of, then you'd have to move on to blood work and look at other factors and possibly more serious conditions.

But yeah, ignorance kills. All. The. Time.