Dog put down due to severe matted hair (trigger: disturbing image)

Mollys_mum

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2095451/Cruel-couple-facing-jail-appalling-neglect-sheepdog-trapped-ball-matted-hair.html

This is not something I would normally post on here owing to its graphic content, but I am at a loss as to why this poor dog had to be put to sleep. I feel really, really upset. :cry1:Can someone please explain?

It's because the dog had other numerous diseases and tumours inside of him, as well as parasites. I would have put the poor thing to sleep as well, as it was probably psychologically damaged by the experience and wasn't deemed adoptable.

Thank you all; I feel a bit better about this.

I still don't understand why this poor dog was so matted that it couldn't walk though.:confused:

I don't think it said he couldn't walk...just that he couldn't really go to the toilet because of all the fur.

What a horrible horrible story. :( Sad to say but Im glad he is in a better place now. The matting that severe can cause the fur from the legs to attach to the fur on the stomach or even thr front legs and so on- making it hard to move. One of my many grooming experiences I had a sweet cocker spaniel I had to shave to the skin due to extreme neglect- her tail fur was matted to the side of her leg- which made a horrible mess for her when she had to go to the bathroom. Because of the matted fur in her sanitary area she had a really bad case of urine burn and rot. On of her back legs was matted to the fur in her armpit- which after some shaving- revealed FISHING LINE completely wrapped around her two front legs. I was working along side a vet tech, we were able to shave her down completely, clean all of her wounds and the part that really got me- was even though she was terrified- after all of that- she wagged her little nub tail and licked us. She was so grateful- people who allow their animals to get into this condition... well... there really are no words I could express to justify how I feel.

What a horrible horrible story. :( Sad to say but Im glad he is in a better place now. The matting that severe can cause the fur from the legs to attach to the fur on the stomach or even thr front legs and so on- making it hard to move. One of my many grooming experiences I had a sweet cocker spaniel I had to shave to the skin due to extreme neglect- her tail fur was matted to the side of her leg- which made a horrible mess for her when she had to go to the bathroom. Because of the matted fur in her sanitary area she had a really bad case of urine burn and rot. On of her back legs was matted to the fur in her armpit- which after some shaving- revealed FISHING LINE completely wrapped around her two front legs. I was working along side a vet tech, we were able to shave her down completely, clean all of her wounds and the part that really got me- was even though she was terrified- after all of that- she wagged her little nub tail and licked us. She was so grateful- people who allow their animals to get into this condition... well... there really are no words I could express to justify how I feel.

:(

:jawdrop:

You can see in the clipped photos of him that one eye is staying totally dilated, so there's definitely issues there. Probably with the eye issues, mouth tumors, mental trauma and who knows what else they just didn't think his quality of life would be salvageable enough for him to be adopted. I can't believe those people could let their dog ever get in that state. They couldn't afford it so they stopped paying to have him done. At the very least trim out the mats with some scissors before they get too big!!!

These kind of people are ignorant, disgusting, and a few other choice words that aren't permitted in this forum.

I cannot believe this has actually happened. I am speechless.

I cannot understand why on earth would you do that to your own dog?? How can you see your dog going through this everyday and not do anything? They said it only started a year ago, but I don't believe that 14 stone of mats accumulated in just that time. The poor dog must have been like that for much longer than that.

A hair cutting machine is not expensive at all, if you can't take your dog to the groomer you can do at least that.

Oh I know it took longer than a year- thats like when owners bring their matted dog to me and say- we had him groomed a couple months ago- but it has matts so ba it cries when you move it- or its nails are like 2 inches long... OR there are maggots in the dead flesh of a would- you couldnt even see prior to shaving. I had to quit Petsmart because I had, "Too much of a opinion," when a dog came in like that. [id tell the owner- I had their name, phone number and address and if I didnt see them back in a month I was calling the ASPCA... lol] It worked most of the time... I however, LOVED petco. :) My manager supported me in ANYTHING I had to say.

If one wishes to know how an individual see themselves, examine closely how that individual treats an animal or a plant. Pets are an extension of the person, they are an intimate part of their life. If they do this to an innocent, what horrible distorted self sensibility must live within their own souls? the depths of human depravity often go beyond the ability of the mind to conceive, terribly tragic and profundly sad. :cry1:You are correct, Floyd now is in the loving arms of the One who made him wonderfully and now Floyd knows this completely and truly is loved and free. May we all have the privilege of seeing him bounding through the Elysian Fields when our time comes to cross the rainbow bridge.