Dolphins and Manitees are in trouble

Elyse

http://news.yahoo.com/humans-taste-dolphins-manatees-rise-042607971.html;_ylt=Ar.JBpbq81Xa0dY2LSVI5vJ4hMgF;_ylu=X3oDMTRiZjF1dnR1BG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBTY2llbmNlU0YgQW5pbWFsUGV0c1NTRgRwa2cDMzY2NWY5NjktY2IyYy0zODZjLWFmNTctZDE3MDUzMDM2YzA0BHBvcwMxNARzZWMDdG9wX3N0b3J5BHZlcgNkZTAxOWY4MC00N2Q1LTExZTEtOWI3Zi1hZjZmMjYwNWExZTk-;_ylg=X3oDMTI5ZXFsbjJlBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANzY2llbmNlfGFuaW1hbCAtIHBldHMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnMEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

"

The Earth's human population is only going to get bigger. I was simply referring to the fact that they might want to consider colonizing other planets (in the far future, of course!) so we don't go to war over severe food and water shortages. A world nuclear war will spell disaster for the human race and any animals (if there are any left!) and plants...and would make the Earth unlivable for thousands of years.

Of course, I think the colonization of other planets will only happen once we (the human race) gets are head out of the sand and realize the true issues...and that money is no use if everyone's dead."

[Edited statement as I was informed it sounded like eugenics...which is NOT what I meant!]

That is a pretty big sweeping statement to make; are you seriously advocating a decrease in population and therefore a return to eugenics?

I didn't mean it that way...I just reread it and it sounds horrible now. :(

I'll elaborate on what I meant:

The Earth's human population is only going to get bigger. I was simply referring to the fact that they might want to consider colonizing other planets (in the far future, of course!) so we don't go to war over severe food and water shortages. A world nuclear war will spell disaster for the human race and any animals (if there are any left!) and plants...and would make the Earth unlivable for thousands of years.

Of course, I think the colonization of other planets will only happen once we (the human race) gets are head out of the sand and realize the true issues...and that money is no use if everyone's dead.

I didn't mean it that way...I just reread it and it sounds horrible now. :(

I'll elaborate on what I meant:

Of course, I think the colonization of other planets will only happen once we (the human race) gets are head out of the sand and realize the true issues...and that money is no use if everyone's dead.

Well i'm all for reducing the human population! Theres a few not-to-be-named celebreties i'd happily throw in the pit! Lol!

(kidding btw...)l

Quote: 'The Earth's human population is only going to get bigger.' Who says? You're at uni - question your lecturers! I disagree. And yes, I'm a graduate in this area of study.

"A world nuclear war will spell disaster for the human race"... the threat of nuculear war for the last 50 years has actually helped to prevent ww3. We have lived on the brink of anniliation for some 50 years now. It's called the cold war. There is now a new threat to democracy, but that is another story...

Quote: 'The Earth's human population is only going to get bigger.' Who says? You're at uni - question your lecturers! I disagree. And yes, I'm a graduate in this area of study.

"A world nuclear war will spell disaster for the human race"... the threat of nuculear war for the last 50 years has actually helped to prevent ww3. We have lived on the brink of anniliation for some 50 years now. It's called the cold war. There is now a new threat to democracy, but that is another story...

Well...people are still having kids and huge families, and our medical advancement in the more 'developed' world has enabled us to live to an average of 75ish years. Unless a catastrophic event were to take place, or if another 'hitler-like' figure were to appear and start another war...then yes: I think the population will continue to grow. Might be a slower growth, or it might be a quick one.

How do you disagree? I'm curious, as I'm wondering how our population would stabilize and cease to grow.

I know what a cold war is, but what if some power hungry dicator decides its enough and decides to launch his missiles at a country. Then that country would go to war with the other, and then their allies would probably go in and help. NATO would get involved, which essentially means the whole world....or at least the 'major powers'. Granted, it would take somebody stupid or power-mad to start a nuclear war...but we've seen stupidity and poor decisions from world leaders in the past.

To be honest, I don't know much about politics...so I'm hardly an expert on the subject...

Well...people are still having kids and huge families, and our medical advancement in the more 'developed' world has enabled us to live to an average of 75ish years. Unless a catastrophic event were to take place, or if another 'hitler-like' figure were to appear and start another war...then yes: I think the population will continue to grow. Might be a slower growth, or it might be a quick one.

How do you disagree? I'm curious, as I'm wondering how our population would stabilize and cease to grow.

I know what a cold war is, but what if some power hungry dicator decides its enough and decides to launch his missiles at a country. Then that country would go to war with the other, and then their allies would probably go in and help. NATO would get involved, which essentially means the whole world....or at least the 'major powers'. Granted, it would take somebody stupid or power-mad to start a nuclear war...but we've seen stupidity and poor decisions from world leaders in the past.

To be honest, I don't know much about politics...so I'm hardly an expert on the subject...

SolitaryHowl, Thank you for this post, WE GET IT!!!

I'm not entirely sure if that's sarcastic or not.

Anyways, can we please get back to the original topic about the dolphins and manitees?

Read the article, great! I couldn't eating a manatee, after swimming with them quite often at Seminola Springs in Florida. Lived there for several years. What a beautiful, docile animal they are. Have no fear whatsoever of man. That is the scary part!

Read the article, great! I couldn't eating a manatee, after swimming with them quite often at Seminola Springs in Florida. Lived there for several years. What a beautiful, docile animal they are. Have no fear whatsoever of man. That is the scary part!

I've never swam with either manatees or dolphins...but I've always wanted to!

And I find it odd that conservationists protect whales and not dolphins and other warmblooded marine animals.

I've never swam with either manatees or dolphins...but I've always wanted to!

And I find it odd that conservationists protect whales and not dolphins and other warmblooded marine animals.

Do you think it is because so many wales have been hunted down almost to extinction?