Dog starts house fire

aronoiiel

VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - Fire investigators say a dog inadvertently turned on a stove and started a fire that destroyed a house in Vancouver, Wash., early Saturday.

Capt. David James told the Columbian newspaper that investigators believe the dog jumped up looking for food on the stove and turned the stove on, causing items on the stove to catch fire.

Firefighters arrived just before 1 a.m. to find heavy smoke and fire coming from the one-story home. James says the blaze damaged most of the house and its contents.

The dog did not survive.

James says the renter had left the dog alone in the house for the first time.

Very sad for this person but let it be a warning to anyone with an animal that has free roam. ANYTHING even the things you don't think possible can happen. I leave my dogs free while I'm out BUT I have baby gates protecting them from all areas but the living room. Even so I unplug my heater (which has an auto shut off when knocked over) and triple check everything. You can always do everything in your power but the hardest tragedies in life are the random unfathomable things :(