Mushroom pickers lost hope, considered eating dog

aronoiiel

After reading this a question popped up. . .what would you do? To me I dont think I'd ever consider my dog's as emergency rations. Even after a week you would thing the dog would be able to catch food and you would be able to survive together? Is that to much of a movie verse thinking? I'm curious what would YOU do?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Mushroom-pickers-lost-hope-considered-eating-dog-138779304.html

Oh hell no! I couldn't eat my dog. I'm really unsure what would happen if i ever became stranded, being vegan. I wouldn't allow myself to starve though, that would be silly.

I think we'd find though with our huskaroos that if we let any of them off and they were hungry enough, they'd definitely go off hunting.......... but getting the food off them would be another thing! lol

I don't see this. I'm an old school camper - tent, sleeping bag and matches for years. Unless it's buried under snow, there are few areas in the lower US where you can't find enough to eat to stay alive. Okay, it may not be great, but roots and bark can get to be pretty tasty when you haven't eaten a good meal for a few days.

... and I've only successfully made fire one time without matches, but it is possible - just take your shoestring (or the cord in the bottom of your jacket) and make a bow from there on it's a piece of cake.

... dry wood, stop looking down - anything on the ground is wet, break stuff off the trees at eye level and it'll be dry (it's called squaw wood!).

If they were seriously thinking about eating their dog then they had some major problems!!! Mostly from the neck up!

Of course they did the thing that most people who get in trouble here on the desert do, they went in thinking they were wandering around the local shopping mall (( er, well in one sense they were - if they'd taken common sense measures! )) If you don't know the "lay of the land" before you go in - DON'T GO IN!!!!!

Stupid people!!!!!

If this group of "nut jobs" that were mushrooming, you would think they would have a few survival skills. There are many things in the woods that you could survive on before even thinking about eating your dogs. We understand it is acceptable in some cultures, but most of the world they are our beloved companions. They must not have watched "Alive". It is people, not dogs.:plane::lolman:

...really?

Like its been said before, there are many things you can eat to survive a week (or more!) in the woods. A local botany book does wonders, as it usually tells you what local flora are safe to eat and are somewhat nutritious. They also could have rooted around for bugs - check under rocks and such! They may not taste like a juicy seasoned steak, but it's better than nothing!

I'd never consider eating Suka, my dog, or any other dog.

And it IS possible to make fire with sticks...you just need a LOT of patience, you need man-power, and you need to rub them very fast against some small pieces of tinder. With the rocks, it has to be a certain kind of rocks...flint...you strike them together and it creates a spark...use that spark over a pile of small tinders to start a fire. Then, gradually put smaller sticks and then, eventually, work up to the bigger branches.

I don't understand these people...why wouldn't they know basic survival skills if they went in the woods often!?

I remember seeing something like that on I Shouldn't Be Alive. Just the thought makes me sick. That would be the equivalent of eating a person I'm close to. Just NOT an option. Some would argue that once you go into starvation mode, adrenaline kicks in and chemicals do funny stuff to the brain. But I still know I wouldn't. I'd sooner eat the ground I was walking on.

It's very easy to think "No, I will NEVER do X or Y". However, that's very easy thinking as currently you're in a comfortable situations with food probably only a few steps away from you right now.

Yes, I too say I will never eat any animal I'm close too, I would be out of my mind to do that. And that's probably 'that' that makes people consider eating their own animals, being out of their mind and unable to make rational decisions. I can only imagine what it would feel like if you hadn't eaten anything after a week. You won't be thinking properly and thoughts of food would probably grow into you you would normally not even dare to think of. It's actually quite scary to think of...