Another husky ?

drivera1

i dont have 2 huskies but i have 3 dogs all under the age of 2 years old, 2 dogs is definatly better than one they tire themselves out the only thing is i have to train mine all seperatly as they dont listen when all together doing training lol

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do get two that young, make sure they get a lot of time and training away from one another especially before they are 16 weeks old (that is when 80% of their brain grows and a lot of things stick in those few weeks). The problem with getting two litter mates or two puppies about the same age (like what you want to do) is that they will form an extreme bond to one another to the point where they have separation anxiety if they are apart. A girl on another forum got two puppies (sibe and another breed) at the same time and didn't realize you needed to separate them frequently when they were puppies and now they both will freak out if they are apart and won't eat! She said it was the biggest mistake she made.

And when we say fully trained, we're not exactly talking about training a 7 week old pup to sit and down. You'll realize soon enough that that nice obedient puppy will suddenly grow a mind of its own and become way more independent and not listen quite as well anymore! It's the teenage stage of huskies! Oh the lovely teenage stage! Where you want to yell and scream cause all of a sudden you're awesomely trained dog suddenly has selective hearing! lol. Oh some people do luck out (I actually think I did with Elara), but I bet a lot of husky owners will tell you horror stories of their husky during the teenage stage.

My advice is wait on getting a second puppy until the first is several months old. I waited until my first was 10 months. If you do get the second puppy now, be sure to train them in separate areas and give them time apart. Like have them sleep in different rooms from one another every now and then, take one out for a car ride and then the other later on, train them in separate rooms, etc. And remember the most important time is before 16 weeks! After that I don't think you have to worry as much. For example, they take sheepguarding puppies to live with the sheep before they are 16 weeks old, so they learn that sheep are the norm and not to chase them, act like one of their own. If a puppy isn't socialized with sheep before 16 weeks, they make terrible sheep guarding dogs, cause they never learned that they are supposed to be a "sheep."

By the way is there a Facebook I can "like" do can access this website faster or just to talk to experienced husky owners?

Point to your name in the top right and click on facebook integration. You will then be able to sign in with your facebook details :)

If you do get two that young, make sure they get a lot of time and training away from one another especially before they are 16 weeks old (that is when 80% of their brain grows and a lot of things stick in those few weeks). The problem with getting two litter mates or two puppies about the same age (like what you want to do) is that they will form an extreme bond to one another to the point where they have separation anxiety if they are apart. A girl on another forum got two puppies (sibe and another breed) at the same time and didn't realize you needed to separate them frequently when they were puppies and now they both will freak out if they are apart and won't eat! She said it was the biggest mistake she made.

This was probably the most helpful comment :) Thanks for your feedback.

If you were in my position would you get the other pup? I'm 21, I work 4 days a week for 10 hrs. My girlfriend is 18 goes to college and works for 3 days a week for 6 to 8 hrs( we still end up having a lot of time with Balto) . We take him everywhere we go. We alternate bring with him the whole week except for the weekends. We both are off those days. We love our Balto but we feel like something is missing. Like I said before he already loves socializing with people and other dogs. In fact we have him in a 6 week training class where a 5 month old sibe is also in. So what do you think?

And when we say fully trained, we're not exactly talking about training a 7 week old pup to sit and down. You'll realize soon enough that that nice obedient puppy will suddenly grow a mind of its own and become way more independent and not listen quite as well anymore! It's the teenage stage of huskies! Oh the lovely teenage stage! Where you want to yell and scream cause all of a sudden you're awesomely trained dog suddenly has selective hearing! lol. Oh some people do luck out (I actually think I did with Elara), but I bet a lot of husky owners will tell you horror stories of their husky during the teenage stage.

My advice is wait on getting a second puppy until the first is several months old. I waited until my first was 10 months. If you do get the second puppy now, be sure to train them in separate areas and give them time apart. Like have them sleep in different rooms from one another every now and then, take one out for a car ride and then the other later on, train them in separate rooms, etc. And remember the most important time is before 16 weeks! After that I don't think you have to worry as much. For example, they take sheepguarding puppies to live with the sheep before they are 16 weeks old, so they learn that sheep are the norm and not to chase them, act like one of their own. If a puppy isn't socialized with sheep before 16 weeks, they make terrible sheep guarding dogs, cause they never learned that they are supposed to be a "sheep."

419379_10150638893415552_533715551_11301944_1802928645_n.jpg

This is our boy Balto at 13 weeks

?1328061619This would be our female :) renaming her of course !

Hi, I've read your post and skimmed responses.. In answer to your first question. Two husky puppies are, as I'm quite sure you're aware, a handful. You only get out what you're prepared to put in. I speak from experience, I have a brother an sister from the same litter which I collected a week apart at 7 weeks and 8 weeks. At that time we already had a 9 month old male and have since added a female. Non of them are neutered. I wouldn't recommend spaying until after the first season if that's the avenue you wish to go down. Both our males are chemically castrated. It's a hormone that's inserted under the skin much like a micro chip and lasts 6 months, in the event one of them manages to outwit us and get to one of the girls whilst they're in season it would prevent an unwanted pregnancy. It also calms the males down somewhat and makes it less stressful for them while the girls are in season. I wouldn't advise spaying until after a first season. For the same reason pregnancy with a first season is not recommended because the female is not fully developed, at least that was the advice given by our vet.

Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll do very well at it. The fact you're asking questions indicates your sense of responsibility and most of all common sense. Although once you have one husky, they become an addiction, as I'm sure you're already aware lol