Jack says hello

shockinblue

Hello, my name is Lillian, and I brought home a husky 4 days ago. His name is Jack. He's very chill and very relaxed, and I'd like to know if anyone knows why. He was very playful and had the zoomies at the breeder's place. But here, he sits by the backyard door or hides behind our legs when we sit on the couch. Is this an effect of moving to the new home, or maybe he still has worms?

When he plays with our other dog, he's gallop after him and sometimes steal toys.

Any thoughts?

We can tell he's going to be very handsome when he grows up. But right now I can't really use treats to teach him commands because it doesn't motivate him. Positive reinforcement seems to work well- scratches and pats.

Well either how, I hope I can find answers and share the life of my husky with everyone.

hi and welcome

moving house is very stressful for pups he will still be settling in once he does he wil come out of his shell

oh btw way we need to see pics as we love to see eachothers pups lol

Sure, here's a picture of him that I took on his first day home. My intro post was written on my iPhone so I couldn't upload a picture.

Would you happen to have an idea of how long it'll take before he comes out of his shell? I'm probably just being nervous because he's only been home for a couple of days.

post-6924-13586018700234_thumb.jpg

aww hes gorgeous

it all depends on the dog really my girl diva took to our home really quickly within a week or 2 she was a nut case running around like a mad thing we already had one dogs when diva arrived im sure he will soon come out of his shell once he gets used to everyone there x

what a cutie!

Welcome to the pack :D

I wouldn't worry so much at the moment, give him time to settle - positive reinforcement is great :)

This bit worried me a bit:

or maybe he still has worms?

The breeder should have wormed pups and mum, he shouldn't have been given to you with worms :( is he up to date with his flea / worm treatment and vaccines now? Just want to make sure you have a healthy pup xx

Hello, my name is Lillian, and I brought home a husky 4 days ago. His name is Jack. He's very chill and very relaxed, and I'd like to know if anyone knows why. He was very playful and had the zoomies at the breeder's place. But here, he sits by the backyard door or hides behind our legs when we sit on the couch. Is this an effect of moving to the new home, or maybe he still has worms?

When he plays with our other dog, he's gallop after him and sometimes steal toys.

Any thoughts?

We can tell he's going to be very handsome when he grows up. But right now I can't really use treats to teach him commands because it doesn't motivate him. Positive reinforcement seems to work well- scratches and pats.

Well either how, I hope I can find answers and share the life of my husky with everyone.

when i got my second husky she took about two weeks to settle in i think its because it is a new enviroment, plus missing smells, mummy and brothers sisters etc shell settle in xx

The breeder should have wormed pups and mum, he shouldn't have been given to you with worms :( is he up to date with his flea / worm treatment and vaccines now? Just want to make sure you have a healthy pup xx

He was wormed with... strongid (?) and given the first set of shots. When I went to visit the vet, the receptionist gave me a little capsule to collect a poop sample just to make sure that all the worms were entirely gone. So I'm going to get results via phone call tomorrow, and then his boosters are due March 5. Thanks for worrying though. I'm just hoping he'll settle in soon - I'm just being a bit too excited - he's only been home for... 4 days.

Any thoughts?

A cute lil fella you have there-positive reinforcement, patience and that reassuring "cutesy" voice when speaking to him and he will adjust marvelously. Oh, and as others can attest here, they do break wind-be THANKFUL you can't smell that :P Little Jack will be fine-ours was wore out from the journey from the breeders and didn't do too much either-just give him toys, and play with him when you can and talk to him;) Let us know how he does-and :click::pictures::D

Any thoughts?

hi and welcome ...you,ve been given good advise ...:)

I just have another quick question. Since his first vet visit, he's been... farting (?) a bit here and there. My dad can smell it, and I really can't for a while because my nose is sort of blocked. Does anyone know why? My guess is because he got a thermometer shoved up his bum.

I believe thermometer doesn't have any effect... But idk, I don't know much about this ._. I do know that it would take a couple more days/weeks until he comes out of his shell, but it really depends. Diamond--my husky--took almost 2 months to start feeling comfortable with his new family but he has a bad puppy life so it's completely normal. Some other dogs I know only need 1-2 weeks to forget about their litter mates and enjoy the comfort of their new home :D I think it's based on the dog's personality :)

EDIT: welcome to the pack Lillian! Glad to have you here, and yep I can also tell that Jack is going to be such a handsome boy in a few months :wub: I mean... He already is! :D

he's a beauty.

he will soon settle in.

Have you changed his food from what the breeder was feeding? Given him any processed meats? things like that can cause the "fresh air syndrome".

btw :welcome5::welcome::welcome5:

At first the breeder fed them President's Choice puppy chow, then one of the puppies in the litter didn't take to it well so they all got switched over to Purina puppy chow. I got a bit too ahead and excited and ended up buying two bags of PC first. Then when I found out he got switched over to Purina the day I picked him up, I went out and got a bag of that. He's eating that now. Maybe it's more like how he's been eating. The other day he'd eat and walk away from his food, and then come back to it in a couple of seconds. It'd go on like that until he finished eating. But today and last night he's been wolfing down his food. So I guess that's a good sign.

Hi and WavingWelcome.gif - what a cutie!

The gas may be because of the puppy food - most of the Purina formulas have a fair amount of grains in them, and many huskies don't digest grains well - the result is... gas. A sudden change in foods, as sounds has happened, can also cause problems with the digestive system. I would suggest you consider upgrading him to a better quality food over the course of a week or so. There are a lot of threads in the Food & Diet section regarding different types/brands of foods, as well as raw feeding. Look for a food that has a lot of meat ingredients in the first 5 ingredients. Corn, wheat, brewers rice and soy tend to be particularly poor quality ingredients. Chicken, lamb and fish are all very common and good meat ingredients in the food, and should be named as such. If the food is, for example, based on chicken, the quality of the chicken, best to worst, would be chicken meal (it's the chicken minus the water in the raw product), chicken, and least of all, chicken by-products - which can include such parts as beaks, feet and feathers! Avoid a food that has ingredients that don't specify the source of the animal protein - for example, "Meat by-products" would be a really poor quality ingredient...

Hi and WavingWelcome.gif - what a cutie!

The gas may be because of the puppy food - most of the Purina formulas have a fair amount of grains in them, and many huskies don't digest grains well - the result is... gas. A sudden change in foods, as sounds has happened, can also cause problems with the digestive system. I would suggest you consider upgrading him to a better quality food over the course of a week or so. There are a lot of threads in the Food & Diet section regarding different types/brands of foods, as well as raw feeding. Look for a food that has a lot of meat ingredients in the first 5 ingredients. Corn, wheat, brewers rice and soy tend to be particularly poor quality ingredients. Chicken, lamb and fish are all very common and good meat ingredients in the food, and should be named as such. If the food is, for example, based on chicken, the quality of the chicken, best to worst, would be chicken meal (it's the chicken minus the water in the raw product), chicken, and least of all, chicken by-products - which can include such parts as beaks, feet and feathers! Avoid a food that has ingredients that don't specify the source of the animal protein - for example, "Meat by-products" would be a really poor quality ingredient...

Thanks, the breeder said he was doing well on Purina. So for now I'm just going to use up this bag and switch him slowly back over to the two bags of President's Choice. And then I have a bag of Taste of the Wild which I will try with him when he's older (10 months or so, before the year's over). I think I'll stick to these formulated puppy chows for the time being, but when he grows older and gets all that exercise, I'll switch him over to something much better. For the last two days he hasn't farted, so I'm going to assume it was just because he took in lots of air while eating.

Thanks, the breeder said he was doing well on Purina. So for now I'm just going to use up this bag and switch him slowly back over to the two bags of President's Choice. And then I have a bag of Taste of the Wild which I will try with him when he's older (10 months or so, before the year's over). I think I'll stick to these formulated puppy chows for the time being, but when he grows older and gets all that exercise, I'll switch him over to something much better. For the last two days he hasn't farted, so I'm going to assume it was just because he took in lots of air while eating.

If you run out sooner, the Taste of the Wild will be ok, even if he's younger - it's formulated for all life-stages, and many on the forum have fed it to their puppies with success, by what I hear... Good luck!