huskamute

hugo31

Hi all

Was looking for a bit of advice with my 7 month old husky x malamute Hugo! He is having a few aggression problems, he is a very loving and a happy dog but when it come to getting something off of him that he is not suppose to have ie a sock for example. He shows real signs of aggression showing his teeth growling and the odd snap if you try to take it.

If anyone has any advice on it. Would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Macy does this as well at times. What I do is stay calm with shoulders down and relaxed, tell her to "drop it" in a calm, but firm tone, and to back her up away from the object until she's in a relaxed stage. Hope this helps, but I'm sure others will chime in as well...:)

oh so R U trying to say that he's being possessive? I think this is one of the side effects of dominance. I believe you have already read about doggie dominance theory, so I won't waste your time by re-telling you about that theory, but what do you think about your alpha role in the pack? Is he respecting you or are you respecting him? All you have to do is make sure he knows you're his boss and his bad habits will disappear one by one. Specifically for possessive behavior tho u have to remain calm and firm. Show him that you're not afraid and you want that item he's holding RIGHT NOW. This will be much easier to fix if you're above him in the pack order, obviously.

Thank you for your advice. This is the only problem with him, I've done everything by the book with training up to now. Yeah he has become very possessive in the last few weeks. Seems to be with certain things normally things he's not aloud. I can take things like bones and toys off of him with no fuss, but if there is something that he wants to claim he either hides in a corner with it or takes it to his crate and Thers no getting it until he is distracted by something else. He is a great dog apart from this. He is a big boy at 30kg at only 7month and would love to get ot sorted .

Thank you for your advice. This is the only problem with him, I've done everything by the book with training up to now. Yeah he has become very possessive in the last few weeks. Seems to be with certain things normally things he's not aloud. I can take things like bones and toys off of him with no fuss, but if there is something that he wants to claim he either hides in a corner with it or takes it to his crate and Thers no getting it until he is distracted by something else. He is a great dog apart from this. He is a big boy at 30kg at only 7month and would love to get ot sorted .

just be firm and consistent :) never show any signs of fear, and he'll be better soon :up: never expect instant effect tho and keep an eye on this thread someone else might have better answers ;)

like every one is sayin be firm , let him no he has done wrong and dont let him get away with anything like that to him it is a game and he is testing you to see how dominment you are when he nos ur boss and when he nos that what he is doin is wrong he will stop ... dont wait til he is destracted to get whatever he has got do ererythin you can to get it but dont let him think your doin it for a laugh or a game or he will keep doing it after gettin whatever it is he has got away from him, take it away and walk away make him come to you , then mabie try playing with somthin he is allowed so he nos what he can and carnt play with

i dont personally belive he is testing you i just think hes found something that to him is great fun n he doesnt want to give it up

i would try like sarah said - trading - get something like a high value treat to swap for - when he is about to drop the sock say drop - then give him the treat n praise him for dropping the sock for you :) (just make sure u pic the sock up as ur giving him the treat lol)

my opion i woudnt give him a high value treat reasons being he will get to know everytime he does that and gets the sock hes guna get a treat he may drop it wen u ask but he will expect a treat so he will keep doin it, he will asociate gettin somthing eg socks that you dont want him to have with a very nice treat when he drops it , you can teach him outher ways to drop and leave things with out useing your socks lol

This is definitely something you want to quash right away. But you know your dog, so if you are truly fearful of injury this might not be the approach for you.

So long as you can safely approach him, then attitude is 9/10ths of your battle. When I have a possessive dog, I project the attitude of "oh, what have you got there? That's nice, I'd like to have that!" And I approach. If he tries to pick it up and leave, I block him. If he abandons it, I take the object. If he stays and hovers protectively, I invade his space and start slowly taking over ground until I have my hand on the object.

The goal is not to take it from him, but to make him give it up. If he tries to pull it away, I won't get into a tug of war, but I'll body-block to keep him from escaping with it. If he growls, I either ignore it or tell him "no," but not sharply or aggressively - I don't want to ramp him up and instigate a bite! It depends on the dog.

Every dog I've done this with will ultimately back off, though sometimes it can take a few minutes of patience, just kneeling there, one hand on the object while they have their mouth on it - not pulling, but not willing to give it up. I proceed to push on their body and slowly shoulder them out of the way.

Once he's released it, he's likely to make another lunge to reclaim it. I leave it where it is on the ground and make the dog back out of what's now my space. I'll only stand in front or on the object to block the lunge - if you hover protectively over it, it is a sign of weakness, not confident ownership of the object.

Once the dog has given up and abandoned it, I'll pick up the object. I'll then reward the dog. I will provide him with an object that he is allowed to have. If he knows he will still get something (maybe something better!), he's not likely to be as possessive of an object in the future because when he yields to you, good things happen.

It's harder when he goes to his kennel with it, because that's his space, and he has nowhere to back away and yield to you. You are at a much greater risk of a bite trying to take something from him in there.

2 options: 1) keep the kennel door closed until you can safely recover objects from him - he only gets to go in while he's sleeping. 2) dump him out of the crate and close it.

When we first brought Kobi home and I was unsure of his body language/reactions, I put my foot on his bone a few times to gauge his reaction, I just stayed calm and read him.

He let me take it away but definitely wouldn't have if I hadn't been calm and straightforward with him. That gave me confidence which is good cos more than once on walks I've had my hand down his throat retrieving flotsam.

my opion i woudnt give him a high value treat reasons being he will get to know everytime he does that and gets the sock hes guna get a treat he may drop it wen u ask but he will expect a treat so he will keep doin it, he will asociate gettin somthing eg socks that you dont want him to have with a very nice treat when he drops it , you can teach him outher ways to drop and leave things with out useing your socks lol

its training him to drop on command - and u slowly phase out the treats like u do with ANY trick - its worked for Blaze who used to be a BIG sock stealer

yes u should use the drop command on other things other then just socks - its a good command to teach but i dont think he will keep stealing socks just to get a treat - i know dogs are clever but they arent trying to take over lol :)

its training him to drop on command - and u slowly phase out the treats like u do with ANY trick - its worked for Blaze who used to be a BIG sock stealer

yes u should use the drop command on other things other then just socks - its a good command to teach but i dont think he will keep stealing socks just to get a treat - i know dogs are clever but they arent trying to take over lol :)

And if he does then you've got a dog who will bring you socks on command!