Puppy Food - Protein % - Freaking Out Here

CourtJester

I have been researching about Sibes for a while now as I am due to get my pup in 4 weeks one thing I have not decided on is the food he will eat as a puppy. I know theres massive contreversy about protein % and the fact too much gives growth problems and so on.

I haver been looking at the following food.

http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/orijen_puppy_large.html

My pup will get approx 3-4 hours a day walking about / hiking as I live in a good area nice and open.

If anyone can suggest a better puppy food I would be highly greatful.

I have been researching about Sibes for a while now as I am due to get my pup in 4 weeks one thing I have not decided on is the food he will eat as a puppy. I know theres massive contreversy about protein % and the fact too much gives growth problems and so on.

I haver been looking at the following food.

http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/orijen_puppy_large.html

My pup will get approx 3-4 hours a day walking about / hiking as I live in a good area nice and open.

If anyone can suggest a better puppy food I would be highly greatful.

As a rule, puppies are not supposed to be out and about until they get their second round of jabs (else they can fall ill to Parvo...which is deadly.) Nor, are they supposed to go on long walks/exercise for very long cause this will cause juvinile arthritis, maybe hip dysplasia, and other joint problems.

I've never owned a puppy, but typically the rule is 5-10 minutes of walking (added) for every month of growth AFTER their 2nd round of shots.

Hope this helps...

I've only heard good things about Orijen foods - good, high quality. Just be sure not to over feed your pup and I'm sure she/he will do well :). I don't know if it's the same for pups, but adult huskies will usually need less than the recommended amount. I'm sure people that have had pups will chime in with more specific info!

Best of luck with your new puppy! :)

Agree with all of the above.

As for food quantities....what it says on the bag will more than likely be way too much for a pup. But....every pup is totally different. At over a year old our male sibe eats only 100g of food more a day than our very small 5 month old female. Sometimes it can be a bit of trial and error. Trying an amount, seeing how it settles...increasing if you think they need it.

Runny poop will be your first indicator that they're getting too much food.

Good luckk with your new arrival!

I agree with all of the above it's a good food but huskies don't need as much - overfeeding can give them the runs so start with a small amount and gradually increase if you don't think she's getting enough.

pups may look like they can go for miles and miles but you damage the ligaments and joints - enjoy the puppyhood - it goes by so quickly she'll soon be able to go on hikes with you :)

Ohhh and welcome to the pack - please post up some pics when you get her :)

As a rule, puppies are not supposed to be out and about until they get their second round of jabs (else they can fall ill to Parvo...which is deadly.) Nor, are they supposed to go on long walks/exercise for very long cause this will cause juvinile arthritis, maybe hip dysplasia, and other joint problems.

I've never owned a puppy, but typically the rule is 5-10 minutes of walking (added) for every month of growth AFTER their 2nd round of shots.

Hope this helps...

What's your view on vaccinations then, do you get them yearly or do you opt not too. As I am aware there's research to backup for and against assessments of vaccinations doing more harm than goo or vice versa more good than harm.

We feed ACANA dog food- which is Orijen's sister brand- both made by Champion pet foods. BEST food we have ever used. :) Grimm loves it so much he rubs his face in it! LOL. [Acana Pacifica] I STRONGLY support the choice to use Chamion foods. ALSO if you are un-able to get it in your area- go to Petfooddirect.com they deliver and will even give you a discount for setting up an auto ship schedule! :) Been a LIFESAVER being a military family.

Have you owned a dog previous? Are you loaded? and if you are going to buy one of the most expensive brands why dont you get one that is formulated just for huskies. We all go through the same leo, If the dogs like it and it has no adverse affects ie at the back end and you can afford it then its fine. Mine wont eat certain brands, I have just changed mine, again, as I was given some of a breeder, it is for greyhounds called alpha, the dogs love it! its half the price of yours. Since theyve been on it the no 2s have become more fimer like when on raw.

Pups need exercise, food and rest, little and often and building the amount up as and when the pup grows, with the food I would be more concerned about the wheet% and fillers and not the proteen. The amount of food you give can vary from pup to pup but never feed more than the suggested daily amount of kibble, Once older you need to decide if you are going to run the dog on a regular basis, if not there is no need for a working dog food which have a higher fat, oil and proteen levels, should you still have concerns.

Get your inocs every 12 months, no questions, worm every 3. The reason parvo and distempa is at a low is because there is more responsible owners now getting their dogs shots every 12 months plus if you dont you can not put him in kennals or vets dog classes and you are puting all our dogs at risk.

My pup is 11 weeks old, he is my third husky and I still find new answers to how to bring him up.

Some one else will offer you another way or advice, it is up to you to use what you feel is right and you think will work for both you and your pup. All we can do is tell you what works for us and its all different.

Welcome to the site

I would recommend feeding a raw prey model diet, very simple to do and will provide him with everything he needs and more importantly wont expose him to some of the nasty stuff in commercial foods.

In regards to the walking as others have suggested stick to 5 minutes per month of age, so once hes had his jabs 15 minutes will be about right. Take things easy to begin with as its the early years that can cause problems further down the line if you attempt to do too much, like you said more play time in doors is just as tiring for a young pup.

The vaccinations question will get a few different opinions, personally theres no evidence to support the use of annual boosters hence why mine have had their puppy jabs and their booster at 18 months but that is it.

Hope this helps.

We used orijen puppy typically for his first meal of the day the rest of the time he was given raw chicken wings from the age of about 10 weeks with Vlad and he has grown to be a big strong boy.As others have said orijen is a good food and they dont need to eat as much as other kibbles ,still very expensive but goes alot further..

What's your view on vaccinations then, do you get them yearly or do you opt not too. As I am aware there's research to backup for and against assessments of vaccinations doing more harm than goo or vice versa more good than harm.

Suka gets his vaccinations every year, but he only gets certain ones every other year (like his rabies one, I believe) because some of them can last longer than a year. He's had no adverse affects, and the dogs that I did know that didn't get their shots (besides their puppy shots) died young.

What I recommend, is that after your dog gets his first round of 'adult' vaccinations...a year later when its time again, get your vet to do an 'antibodies' count to see if he really needs his shots or not again the next year...or if he only needs certain types.

Have you owned a dog previous? Are you loaded? and if you are going to buy one of the most expensive brands why dont you get one that is formulated just for huskies. We all go through the same leo, If the dogs like it and it has no adverse affects ie at the back end and you can afford it then its fine. Mine wont eat certain brands, I have just changed mine, again, as I was given some of a breeder, it is for greyhounds called alpha, the dogs love it! its...

Am I loaded ... dunno depends on your view suppose...but I don't think 50 quids expensive for a 12.5 kg bag I spend that on one meal for me and the wife. I have owned a German Shepard and napoleon mastiff previous.

I live in the UK and to be honest finding a decent dog foods hard enough, if you know of a husky formulated food I'm all ears ^_^

where are you based? if in the UK i highly recommend 'Quest' dog food, it is formulated for huskies and is suitable for all life stages. It's very good quality so you dont need to feed as much, when my dogs were on it a bag lasted a month for 3 dogs! I only changed because they gained weight on it so i changed to a lower protein food.

where are you based? if in the UK i highly recommend 'Quest' dog food, it is formulated for huskies and is suitable for all life stages. It's very good quality so you dont need to feed as much, when my dogs were on it a bag lasted a month for 3 dogs! I only changed because they gained weight on it so i changed to a lower protein food.

I'm in Hull, east riding yorkshire. i'll take a look at that food thanks for info ^^