bulking up

tommyboi36

hi iv just come back from the vet and they said that reeno was abit skinny ... they said to just feed him more but i was wondering if there is any percific ways to get a husky to put on weight and type off foods or anything basicaly ... i weighed him at the vet and he is 21.15 kg and he is 1 year 8 months , is that ok ?

thanks in advance :)

How much they should weigh depends a lot on their height, build and the genes behind them. Just as two people of the same height might weigh very different amounts due to one being heavier boned/muscled - it can work the same with dogs. Many vets are also used to seeing dogs that are much too well-fed, and it's actually healthier for them to be a little on the leaner side than heavier. You can try feeding a little extra food, or see if the tripe will help, but it may be that it will just give him diarrhea. My youngest is almost 19 months, and is thin - if I feed him more, it goes straight through him; he's a teenager, and experience tells me that he will be thin for a while yet.

so i looked up BingBlaze's range and I see it on wikipedia.... its funny to me how different that range is from what i have been using - michael jennings 'the siberian husky' book..... which is correct? top end of 27 kgs vs. 34 kgs for dogs...

tbh i did look at the 34kg thing n had to double check n be like REALLY!? that heavy!? so could be wrong - like gigi says tho dependant on their height will determine their weigh i have a tall girl who weighs ALOT more then a female sibe should as shes bigger then ur average female sibe , hell shes bigger then ur average male sibe too llol

Mike Jennings knows his Siberians, but the dogs he's working with are more the show type (although is dogs can definitely perform well in harness!), which are often heavier boned than many other Siberians. The standard he refers to describes the perfect dog/bitch for breeding and showing - others will fall outside of that range.

Many of the sprint racing Siberians, as well as many that have come out of puppy mills, will often be much finer boned and may well be smaller - or (not generally with the sprint racing dogs) larger than the standard allows.

Kobi is over 2 years old and weighs 20kgs, he's not a big boy, he just seems very petite to me but he eats well, is active and mentally alert so like my kids (i've been told before one of my kids was underweight) i'm not particularly concerned. Like Sutsibe said they come in all shapes and sizes. I'd only worry if his ribs were sticking out and if he seemed to be generally unwell.

My old boy Akuma was 30kgs (he was 34 when we adopted him) but he was taller and broader than Kobi.

reading through that wiki listing, i don't really buy that the author's know what they are talking about....there's quite a bit of stuff in there that's fishy. like suggesting throwing a ball around to exercise your husky? really?

tires my boy out ;) lol tho nothing compares to a good walk for him

thanks everyone ... his dad was a big boy and his mum was a bit smaller i would of said his dad was a 30kg dog , will he grow into that in later years ? also what is trip lol ...

depends - he might take after his mother

tripe - its something from a cow i think - u can get it in pets at home in bags

thanks everyone ... his dad was a big boy and his mum was a bit smaller i would of said his dad was a 30kg dog , will he grow into that in later years ? also what is trip lol ...

I may not know my boy's parents but his prev owner knows both dog and bitch. Diamond's father is somewhat mally-like which means he's "too big to be a husky" even tho he IS a husky x_x still, my boy is a normal-sized dog. Long-coated, yep, but he's not mally-sized. A large-sized parent(s) doesn't always equal large-sized puppies :)