Runny poo, what to do?

Lavs

If I could just get some opinions,

I've asked some very knowledgeable people on this site and they've given me some advice that I'm trying now...but just in case....

Is loose stools common for husky pups? I've tried a million things to fix her, gradual food change (ranged from a mid-high quality food to a mid-grade), pumpkin, rice, she's been dewormed 6 times and the vet said she's super healthy and the only thing they are doing now is pushing some seriously expensive vet food for gastro upsets on me that, upon reading the ingredients, might as well be a grocery store brand. She's playful and happy, very loving and not at all seeming to be sad or sick. I check her constantly to make sure she is not dehydrated and she shows no signs. She's a lean mean running machine but her BM's are like pudding and it's always in the back of my mind if there's something I could do to help it.

post-6979-13586020047416_thumb.jpg

post-6979-13586020050401_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how old is she. iv'e had problems with mine on and off since she was a pup. recently she has has bad bouts of dihorrea but we (the vet and i) have come to think she has a very sensitive stomach and to start with she is on boiled chicken and rice for 1 week - nothing else so her stomach can calm down and some paste (for diahorrea ) that she licks out my hand or you can put it in her food for 3 days from the vet, it costs about 8 pound but it,s worth it. then after the week her stools should be back to normal and then we have to put ours on food for sensitive stomachs as even though she has been on different types of dog food she still gets upset stomach. especially dried dog food.

How much (in cups) are you feeding her per day? And what brand of kibble are you feeding her?

(And, I noticed you're in Ontario, eh? That's cool!)

2.5 cups a day, half in the morn and half mid day, because i've found that if we feed her later in the day she just poops 100 times in the night keeps us up wayyy later than we'd like to be. Her breeder said her daddy had runny poops for a while when he was a baby baby. she's only 3 months old so I wonder if she will grow out of it like her dad did?

That sounds like a lot for. 3 month pup...buuutt I work in grams for our kibble, I really don't know what it equates to in cups. So, I could be wrong.

Have you tried cutting her food right, right back to very little for 24 hours then gradually increasing it? Also...have a look at the treats she gets. We bought one type of treat...tubos I think....and it instantly gave ours the runs. Cut everything but the kibble and reintroduce one at a time if you think it could be a treat. :-)

What brand of kibble are you feeding her? Usually the stomach of Sibes don't 'agree' very well with kibbles that have lots of grain or other fillers.

she started on pro plan chicken and rice at the breeder and i had intended to keep her on it. then when the poo issue started i gradually switched her to blue buffalo lamb and oatmeal formula, onwhich she had a good solid one first thing in the morn, then as the day progressed they'd get looser again, then someone recommended that i put her on a "normal" cheaper dog food, I himmed and hawed about it for a day and said why not give it a shot? at this point i just want to help her have a good poo! This has not helped so far and I'm gonna cut it out and go back to pure blue buffalo...at least for a bit and see if she gets normal. if not.....:S:

she started on pro plan chicken and rice at the breeder and i had intended to keep her on it. then when the poo issue started i gradually switched her to blue buffalo lamb and oatmeal formula, onwhich she had a good solid one first thing in the morn, then as the day progressed they'd get looser again, then someone recommended that i put her on a "normal" cheaper dog food, I himmed and hawed about it for a day and said why not give it a shot? at this point i just want to help her have a good poo! This has not helped so far and I'm gonna cut it out and go back to pure blue buffalo...at least for a bit and see if she gets normal. if not.....:S:

It sounds like you've been switching foods too often! Stick with one (preferably not a cheap brand!) for a while and see if they go away.

I'd recommend Taste of the Wild - my boy's on it and it doesn't have grains in it (potatoes and eggs, though). Not sure if they have a puppy formula, though...

We have a similar problem with ice. He's on wainwrights salmon and potato mixed with a little rice now and he's not perfect but way better than before. Was bloating up and then exploding when he first arrived, yuk. Treats have to be restricted to minimum with him and absolutely no human food either as that sets him off.

I have two with sensitive stomachs. One more than the other and it's only cleared up in the last 18 months. As has already been said. Chicken and boiled rice should clear it up. I realise it's a pain but you can do it in batches and store it in the fridge for 3 days. I keep mine in 8oz tupperware boxes. I tried dr burns, wellbeloved and canin before I found autarky worked for Loki. I can now confidently take him out knowing when he poos I'll be able to pick it up. I'm not sure you'd be able to get autarky in Canada but it would be worth looking. It's a working dog food ie; gun dogs here in the uk. I hope you find something that suits your puppy. I know how frustrating and worrying it can be. If it helps, Loki is a good 30kg now and was 3 in dec. His sister safi has liver disease and I make all her food for her which is basically potato rice and a little turkey, which as mentioned is stored in the fridge. She's flourishing off that. The key is to allow enough time on the chicken and rice for your puppy's gut to calm and heal before you attempt a new dried food. I know this much from my son having Crohns and how diet affects his gut even though he's on drugs to control it.

I hope I've not come across too heavy and hope you can find a solution and have no need to worry soon :)

Oh and as Emma said. Avoid treats unless it's cooked chicken. Keep away from anything containing gluten to.

It sounds like you've been switching foods too often! Stick with one (preferably not a cheap brand!) for a while and see if they go away.

I'd recommend Taste of the Wild - my boy's on it and it doesn't have grains in it (potatoes and eggs, though). Not sure if they have a puppy formula, though...

i know i feel bad for doin that but i just want her to be a better poo-er lol. my husky mix male is a garbage disposal and could eat anything from anywhere and be lovin life and pooin' just great. i would like to free-feed her too but my boy will eat it, the jerk (jk) plus she's such a greedy piglet she'd prob eat til she blew up.

I have two with sensitive stomachs. One more than the other and it's only cleared up in the last 18 months. As has already been said. Chicken and boiled rice should clear it up. I realise it's a pain but you can do it in batches and store it in the fridge for 3 days. I keep mine in 8oz tupperware boxes. I tried dr burns, wellbeloved and canin before I found autarky worked for Loki. I can now confidently take him out knowing when he poos I'll be able to pick it up. I'm not sure you'd be able to get autarky in Canada but it would be worth looking. It's a working dog food ie; gun dogs here in the uk. I hope you find something that suits your puppy. I know how frustrating and worrying it can be. If it helps, Loki is a good 30kg now and was 3 in dec. His sister safi has liver disease and I make all her food for her which is basically potato rice and a little turkey, which as mentioned is stored in the fridge. She's flourishing off that. The key is to allow enough time on the chicken and rice for your puppy's gut to calm and heal before you attempt a new dried food. I know this much from my son having Crohns and how diet affects his gut even though he's on drugs to control it.

I hope I've not come across too heavy and hope you can find a solution and have no need to worry soon :)

Oh and as Emma said. Avoid treats unless it's cooked chicken. Keep away from anything containing gluten to.

so a boneless skinless chicken piece and some minute rice good?? how much chicken and rice and for how long ya think? then how do you go about reintroducing kibble?

Husky's are known to have sensitive stomachs, especially when pups, but once you find a kibble that works, usually not the cheap stuff, but then they don't eat much either, then it will work out in the end (no pun intended :D) our pup had runny poos when he was young too, and I switched once to Diamond Naturals and that worked for him. I've also heard that chicken and rice works for that as well

I'm not entirely sure but looking at your pics she's fairly young. I think possibly 6 oz of both split into two meals to begin with (as shes used to two meals)and tweak it. Because its less bulky she may need more than you'd think and as for time, three weeks to a month. You should notice a rapid improvement but in order for her gut to calm keep it going for a while. Then start adding biscuits and reducing her chicken an rice. Choose a dried food that's either chicken an rice or salmon an potato. And stick to it. If she gets bored if it add a little boiled rice or plum tomato from time to time to spice it up.

I'm no expert, the amounts I suggested will need to be tweaked but you'll know as you go. As an example, safi eats five times a day and her total weight in food consumed is 4lbs but she's 3 and weighs 21kg. Oh and you may notice she'll drink less because she's having moist food so don't worry if she doesn't :) hope I've not waffled too much

huskies have very sensitive stomachs. they are also bread to eat very little (considering their history of living in harsh conditions and their working dog ethic). try feeding less than the recommended amount. also, i wouldn't go for the expensive, high quality food yet. stick to one really good brand (i feed blue buffalo) and don't change up the diet. try not to feed too many treats yet either.

that's my two cents of experience. good luck to you and keep us posted about how your pup is doing! :)

huskies have very sensitive stomachs. they are also bread to eat very little (considering their history of living in harsh conditions and their working dog ethic). try feeding less than the recommended amount. also, i wouldn't go for the expensive, high quality food yet. stick to one really good brand (i feed blue buffalo) and don't change up the diet. try not to feed too many treats yet either.

that's my two cents of experience. good luck to you and keep us posted about how your pup is doing! :)

ya like i said in a pervious post i was under the impression the blue buffalo was a pretty decent food and it is free of corn and that stuff so i thought sure plus its reasonably priced for me reality i cant afford to spend 80+ bucks on a bag of food lets be real for a minute here. i mean obv if i have to do that at some point then thats hat i gotta do but for now i think that shd be fine... thanks for your help

I'm not entirely sure but looking at your pics she's fairly young. I think possibly 6 oz of both split into two meals to begin with (as shes used to two meals)and tweak it. Because its less bulky she may need more than you'd think and as for time, three weeks to a month. You should notice a rapid improvement but in order for her gut to calm keep it going for a while. Then start adding biscuits and reducing her chicken an rice. Choose a dried food that's either chicken an rice or salmon an potato. And stick to it. If she gets bored if it add a little boiled rice or plum tomato from time to time to spice it up.

I'm no expert, the amounts I suggested will need to be tweaked but you'll know as you go. As an example, safi eats five times a day and her total weight in food consumed is 4lbs but she's 3 and weighs 21kg. Oh and you may notice she'll drink less because she's having moist food so don't worry if she doesn't :) hope I've not waffled too much

I agree with the above, in addition, have you tried Diamond Naturals brand dry kibble? http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ and -----http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/-here's a very great site :http://www.allabouthuskies.com/food.html and -http://www.allabouthuskies.com/food-northerndiet.html---

I agree with the above, in addition, have you tried Diamond Naturals brand dry kibble? http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ and -----http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/-here's a very great site :http://www.allabouthuskies.com/food.html and -http://www.allabouthuskies.com/food-northerndiet.html---

both those sites are really informative i had no idea about up to 60% less than recommended feeding guidelines. thanks again to EVERYONE i feel wayyy less stressed about this now having talked to you all. OH btw, 3:30 this morn my Sonoma had a GREAT SOLID POO! I gave her some bananas (well not some, half one sliced finely)....everyday i learn something new about my husky lol

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!

both those sites are really informative i had no idea about up to 60% less than recommended feeding guidelines. thanks again to EVERYONE i feel wayyy less stressed about this now having talked to you all. OH btw, 3:30 this morn my Sonoma had a GREAT SOLID POO! I gave her some bananas (well not some, half one sliced finely)....everyday i learn something new about my husky lol

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!

Yaaaayyy for the solid poo!

haha thats what i said.

my whole day was becoming about poop. poopy diapers at work and poop puddles on my lawn. at least now i got piles! lol

:clap::woohoo:Piles are better than puddles-great news! Main thing is to stick to one dry kibble once you've found it and it'll help their tummy's too when they're that young due to their sensitivity at that age-thats great news Samantha! Also, here's an additional site with good info on our Husky's in regards to sensitive stomachs and feeding especially, I think you will like this one http://www.huskyresources.com/food.html