Some advice please

Gemski

My current situation is tearing me apart for a number of reasons. My bf has ended our relationship, I don't want to get into the ins and outs, but we own a house together, Kodi and a number of other pets.

Please be assured that if I had any idea whatsoever that this was going to happen, I would not have agreed to buy a dog, I am devastated that it's come to this and absolutely heart broken with what to do, can hardly type for the tears :(

We've talked briefly about Kodi and he seems to think we can 'share' him. But I really don't know if this is going to work, and I don't think it's fair on Kodi. I cannot keep him by myself as I work 10 hour shifts, which includes nightshifts. He cannot keep him by himself as he has a permanent back problem. Together, it worked. Our parents have been helpful and would continue to be, but cannot commit to the assistance I would need.

The thought of rehoming him fills me with absolute dread, fear, guilt, sadness, anger, all the negative emotions. But it may have to come to this, more so for Kodi's quality of life. I have to yet contacted the breeder, as we still need to talk in depth about it, also they are expecting their first baby next month!

Has anyone been through this before? Or any advice would be greatly appreciated please x

oh no Gem I'm so sorry :( but you know... If in the end there is no choice but to give Kodi up, please don't feel so bad. You know you're doing this for his own good. You give him up because you're being unselfish and if you insisted to keep him no matter what it'd be unfair for him. If the breeder couldn't take him back, there is always a rescue to contact :) still, if the rescues are too full, post up a rehoming thread and see if anyone can have him :)

Is there a chance you might live near your parents, and if so, do they have a home with a yard (or might you find a place with a yard)? While 10 hours is a long time to leave a pup on his own, if there is an outdoor run where he can move around and yet be safe, and if someone can look in on him for a few minutes daily, it can be done. You'd also need to spend a fair amount of time with him, walking, playing and training before/after work, but there are many who do work long hours and still have Siberians successfully. Hang in there! :grouphug:

Hope you're okay. :-(

Thank you.

Is there a chance you might live near your parents, and if so, do they have a home with a yard (or might you find a place with a yard)? While 10 hours is a long time to leave a pup on his own, if there is an outdoor run where he can move around and yet be safe, and if someone can look in on him for a few minutes daily, it can be done. You'd also need to spend a fair amount of time with him, walking, playing and training before/after work, but there are many who do work long hours and still have Siberians successfully. Hang in there! :grouphug:

Yeah, I don't live far from my parents, they have a large garden, which is secure but not secure enough for him to be alone. They'd have to build a specific run and kennel for him, which, although they will do anything to help me, wouldn't be feasible as they are planning on selling the house within the next year. Also he is a very vocal pup, the area they live is very peaceful and he may generate some complaints :( Thank you for your suggestion, in an ideal world, it would be the perfect thing to do x

Yeah, I don't live far from my parents, they have a large garden, which is secure but not secure enough for him to be alone. They'd have to build a specific run and kennel for him, which, although they will do anything to help me, wouldn't be feasible as they are planning on selling the house within the next year. Also he is a very vocal pup, the area they live is very peaceful and he may generate some complaints :( Thank you for your suggestion, in an ideal world, it would be the perfect thing to do x

:(

My cousin had a very similar situation. They managed to share the dog and it have been great, since it helped them to maintain a good relation and today they are good friends.It has been one year now.

His parents helped a lot to make it work throught. I don't believe they could to without their help.

Thank you for the replies. After lengthy discussions it's been decided that Kodi will live with Andy. It's not going to be easy for him, but he'll cope better than I will be able to and it'll be a better situation for Kodi. It absolutely breaks my heart as he is my little baby and I have put all the time and effort in with him with his training etc.

Andy and I are civil and will hopefully remain friends, he has said I can see/have Kodi whenever I want.

This is such an awful situation and I never ever want to go through it again, don't think I will ever get another dog :(