Is the Siberian really for me?

Hello everyone!

My name is John, I'm 23, I graduated college recently May 2011, and I REALLY want a Siberian!!

I'm here to:

1. Get advice on crate training

2. Figure out how to manage ALL THAT FUR

3. Make sure a Siberian is really for me

4. Find a reputable breeder locally, and to find my dream Gray Siberian to name Wolf!

Here's a little spreadsheet I've put together so far:

Any and all help with those 4 topics listed above is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!!

post-7001-13586020329302_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi john and welcome..well you came to the right place for help and advice.

number 3 is the most important point on your list ..have a good look thru forum im sure you will find lots of good and bad points of being owned by a sibe. and feel free to ask questions..thats what its all about ..looking searching and asking but most important listening and really deciding if a sibe is right for you..dont be fooled by the looks like so many others .. they can be a lot of work or can be easy.. if you put the time and knowledge in.

there is far to many sibes in welfare because to many people do not do the home work first..but sounds like your starting off in the right direction though.

.sadly i cant see your spreadsheet ..

Don't forget to add in any boarding you might need throughout the year. Pet insurance? Emergency vet bill fund? Funds to visit other HO friends and/or attend meets and camps.

Those are all things that come up when you least expect it or are things you may want to consider.

Shame we can't deduct our huskies expenses from our income tax. I'd never show an income if that was allowed.

Don't forget to add in any boarding you might need throughout the year. Pet insurance? Emergency vet bill fund? Funds to visit other HO friends and/or attend meets and camps.

Those are all things that come up when you least expect it or are things you may want to consider.

Shame we can't deduct our huskies expenses from our income tax. I'd never show an income if that was allowed.

WHAT !!!!!! are you telling me my girls are not TAX DEDUCTABLE !!!! :wtf:

:lovebone:Well, just off the top of my head, a rescue is much less of an initial investment at purchase, and the return on love is ten-fold, and mostly you often don't have to deal with puppy stuff, but not always. I think you are short on food and vet dollars, vaccines can vary and depending where you live there are sometimes low cost vet clinics at pet stores and/or humane societies. Do the grooming yourself...a good brush and time is really all it takes. Huskies are really very clean until they roll in the mud, and many on here bathe their huskies often, but of our 3, only one has had a bath cause she stunk so bad and was so very dusty when we brought her home. Toys are whatever the dog decides...a cardboard box, stick, or piece of found wood might be far more to the dog's liking than $100 worth of store bought accessories. Leashes, collars, etc...well, puppies grow so there's a downfall, that you'll be replacing it every 4 months or so, until adulthood, and then trying what works best for you, so you may end up with a collection, but then you'll have it for the 2nd husky that you inevitably will get cause everyone will tell you that two are always better than one. Much of it is not "written in stone" or even on a spreadsheet, but good for you for trying to plan. You did not include the digital camera and video camera....and the paper to print photos and the internet access to share them with us. Waiting patiently for photos! I have a beautiful gray and white little girl that is sprinkled with black and caramel colors....2 years old, she came to us as an owner surrender...well worth the 12 hour drive!!!:bananadance1::click::lovebone::lovebone::lovebone::bananadance1:

If yours are, I am moving to the UK!

well the tax man never checks my receipts when i put in a claim every year..:lolman:

even when i got audited they never checked that all my fuel was for work purpose..hmmm i wonder now.. !!!!

anyway you wouldn't move to the UK ..the houses are to small ..:lolman:

tell me more !! what equipment etc could be tax deductable ??

I dont' know about equipment, but all vet expenses for my OH's lab/rottie cross are deductible through his business as the dog goes to work daily with him and is considered a guard dog.

Sooo............work it right and you might be able to!

tell me more !! what equipment etc could be tax deductable ??

My own company sponsors the equipment scooter, lines, X-Backs etc and here I can then deduct a percentage of the costs, the only thing I need to do is put some stickers on the scooter with my company name..Do not know how or if this would work in the UK.

Thanks to all!

here is a direct link to it:

http://oi42.tinypic.com/xpx153.jpg

just looked at your spreadsheet.... but i wish the cost was that low .:lolman: and that easy to work out.. its a good start but i think as soon as you decide if a sibe is for you... then the cost side of it will go out of the window... co's if your anything like the rest of us ...cost wont matter... the love they give the fun you will have ..will out way any cost !! i can save you money from the start..... forget the paying for grooming . do it your self.. you and your poss dog will love it and will help you bond..

Hi John, welcome and good job on doing your research.

We've had 2 rescue boys and no regrets.

I think everyone has pretty much covered it all, it is a good idea to have a savings account for unforeseen extras.

Kobi's kibble doesn't cost much but his treats do and he eats through kongs like sweets! They are all different though so its hard to say where you might see expenses skyrocket.

The little scamps are worth every penny though :D

Welcome, John!

Here is a good link that describes what to expect with a husky, and please look around the forum and use the search to find posts on dealing with puppies (or perhaps more accurately, land piranha).

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/siberian-husky

This one is also a good thread to read to be sure a husky is for you:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/thinking-of-getting-your-1st-husky-read-this.6842/

For dealing with the hair - the easy answer is learn to love it! Regular brushing is recommended to keep it to a minimum, but expect the need to sweep/vacuum to increase exponentially! You can bring them to a groomer's twice a year when they start their major coat blowout, or just brush them daily yourself during that period. Here's a good video showing the amount of hair that can come off during seasonal shedding (as well as other potential things to expect! shedding at 4:30):

tRG5LDBcgUE

For costs I agree with @Austenville - you need either insurance or an emergency fund in place for unexpected vet bills, which can add up quick.

I estimate that one dog can cost up to 1000$/year (CAN) to keep. Not to scare you off, but I had a bad year last year, and with 2 huskies, my costs were:

1700$ in food/regular vet bills/supplies

375$ unexpected vet bill (stitches)

378$ unexpected bill to replace seatbelts my husky chewed up

1,100$ unexpected vet bill to save my mother's cat that my other husky attacked.

Total: 3,553$ for two dogs.

That's extreme, but the reason why insurance/emergency fund is critical.

What are the chances of changing his name if I were to get a rescue?

I'd feel much better adopting a dog than buying a new one, but I reallyyy want to name him Wolf.

Hmmm probably depends on dog, never thought of changing names I have to admit. Mind you they seem to respond to anything if food is involved.

I am biased concerning rescue versus pup but I'm also not brave enough to raise a pup lol

What are the chances of changing his name if I were to get a rescue?

I'd feel much better adopting a dog than buying a new one, but I reallyyy want to name him Wolf.

Of course you can change their name! When we got ours, his name was GM (short for General Motors). We were NOT going to call our dog that, so we changed his name to Wyatt. He was 6 years old at the time. He learned it quickly with no issue!