Is the Siberian really for me?

Luna was 10 months old when we get her & was originally called Hollie (soooo didn't suit her!) Took about two weeks for her to respond to her new name.

It's worth looking up a few threads on crate training as doing it properly is worth its weight in gold!!

The only other thing I'd mention, and I'm sure you know this already, but try not to leave your husky for more than 4 hours at a time. Huskies really don't like being left on their own & we've spent a fortune in time & money getting Luna settled & happy. Even now we can't really leave her in the evening at the weekends so our night's out have been drastically reduced.

In a nutshell Huskies are high maintenance but sooooo worth it!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have done this ... My Bindi was called Benji for example...and our old GSD was called George and we renamed him Jake..had/have no problems with it

Of course you can change their name! When we got ours, his name was GM (short for General Motors). We were NOT going to call our dog that, so we changed his name to Wyatt. He was 6 years old at the time. He learned it quickly with no issue!

This is awesome!!!

I'm almost positive I'm going to do it!! I've been searching for days and, like I said would prefer a rescue, and just found a BEAUTY 5-years-old about 1.5 hours away!

Sorry I don't usually use this many exclamation points in my type but I'm really excited!!!

wow john look's like you've thought alot about this, it's SO important to make sure that a sibe is the right dog for you, soooo many sibes end up being rehomed because people didn't do enough research before hand etc, however, welcome to the forum mate, you'll find yourself addicted quickly!

Do you guys trust your Sibes in the car?

I would really love to be able to take him on rides with me and leave him in the truck while i run in to a drug store or something, with something like this:

[ATTACH=full]39076[/ATTACH]

My two go EVERYWHERE in the van with us, we've got 3 seats in the front including the drivers seat and they literally sit in the front looking out of the window the whole journey...they love it...I don't leave them in the car on their own though, wouldn't risk it around where I live

My two go EVERYWHERE in the van with us, we've got 3 seats in the front including the drivers seat and they literally sit in the front looking out of the window the whole journey...they love it...I don't leave them in the car on their own though, wouldn't risk it around where I live

Because you don't trust them, or don't trust others, or both?

Because you don't trust them, or don't trust others, or both?

mostly i don't trust others, but atm neither of them are trust worthy of being on their own unless they KNOW I'm there as I've only had my seceond sibe 9 weeks, although she's 5 my first sibe is only 15 months old so annoys the newer one which then sometimes starts a big fight so, but yeah it's mostly because i wouldn't trust the people around where i live

Do you guys trust your Sibes in the car?

(I've read a lot of negative experiences online recently; seat chewing, etc..)

See my post above. Both of mine travel well and love coming with! One of mine is great in the car when left alone, the other has to wear a muzzle if left alone for even a few minutes, even with his brother in the car. He's chewed through seatbelts in no time flat, and those are expensive to fix - in my Jeep they're 387$ each. We still have one we need to replace.

Each dog is individual - you don't really know what you're going to get until you have it. As a breed they are a very high risk for boredom destruction and some get bored faster than others. Wyatt had never shown any destructive tendencies at all, but Scout is a stereotypical troublemaker!

I left Bindi in the car once after running, I went to get a cup of coffee from my mate....and she was not happy with me doing that and she tore the headrest of the car apart in about 10 secs. flat I do have a guard in the car if she could have gotten to the rest of the care I think she would have ripped the car apart. So now I know and will not leave them in the car on their own....

Where in jersey are you? I'm in cherry hill... Found a couple breeders that arent super far away... If you change you mind on adopting.

South Jersey-

I'll get back to you if/when I change my mind, but I'm really stuck on adopting a rescue right now. There's too many without a home for me to feel great about buying a new one. Thanks though!

Hi and welcome.

You are in the right place to ask all your husky questions!

Having a spread sheet made up makes me really wonder what I have spent, With desexing, vacc, microchipping, buying dogs etc..:eek:

I do think adopting or even rescuing one is a good idea, but just got to make sure you find the right one for you, buying a puppy does have its advantages!

We have had our sibe bitch since she was 14 weeks (brought from the breeder) and she has a beautiful re-call, highly trained and very respectful and NOT destructive. While we have a 4 year old rescue and he is untrained, has 0 re-call (so can never be let off lead unless it's a dog park), I don't trust him in the car unless he's tied to it some way!!

I'll be honest, for me the hair isn't a big thing, it's hair.. and since having my two desexed they loose it more often then when they weren't.

A lot will say to never let them off lead, I agree with this!! But with my bitch.. different story.

I'm fairly open minded, feed a high quality diet and you'll find yourself saving money in the long run, I feed 3 on 50$ a month! but it does help having butchers in the family!

:)

:up: Hi-welcome to the pack and well done on doing your research and trying to discern if a Sibe is right for you, instead of getting one and taking it to the pound like so many other do if its more trouble than they anticipated. First thing if you do get one is :get a crate-they are very handy and are intrumental with helping with potty training, but keep it stocked well with toys with which the new pup will be able to occupy itself with. Lots of toys also reinforces WHAT to chew on instead of slippers, socks, beds and so forth . The other thing is, is a pup has a small bladder, after eating or drinking, they have to go out 15-20 min later, and pick up the water bowl half hour before bedtime and couple hours for food before turning in-I hope this helps!;)

I didn't read all the replies, but just wanted to add two things:

1) It is very easy to change a rescued dog's name. They usually are found as strays and the shelter or rescue doesn't know the name, so they just make one up and the adopter usually changes it anyway.

2) A good way to find a reputable breeder is on the Siberian Husky Club of America's website. They have a breeders referral list on their site. Make sure the breeder gets the hips and eyes checked on the parent's and will take the puppy back at any point if need be to make sure they don't end up in shelters.

Oh! And you'll want to add in a crate and at least one vaccum a year (due to them wearing out!) LOL

Or maybe 2 or 3 crates, unless you get one of the police grade that are about $4,000 and appear indestructible. Regular crates, all depends on the husky. I have had 2 destroyed along with the indestructible rubber mat!!!:duh:

Welcome!! So great that you are doing the research first. Can't view the spreadsheet as i'm on my phone but guarantee that whatever you think the expenses are will probably double as everytime you walk past a pet store...butchers...you'll pop in to see if there's anything the dog might fancy! Or maybe they've been especially good and deserve a treat. Or perhaps the super durable extra tough toy you bought was clearly faulty as it lasted all of 5 minutes so you'd best buy a replacement...or....and the list goes on.

Basically, if you just want a dog...don't bother getting a husky.

If you wannt your entire life to change and to share everything in your life with a canine that will soon become part of your family and someone you talk to, snuggle up to...could never live without, forgive when they eat the flooring, laugh when they pull a funny face, and basically account for all of their irritating habits with 'yeh, but he/she's good for a husky'...then maybe carry on your research...a husky might be for you!

Good luck in your hunt but remember to take your time. If it doesn't feel right...there's a reason it doesn't feel right. :-D

South Jersey-

I'll get back to you if/when I change my mind, but I'm really stuck on adopting a rescue right now. There's too many without a home for me to feel great about buying a new one. Thanks though!

hello there! welcome to the pack and THANKYOU for choosing to rescue :D however, I think it is important to ask you about your experience in dog-ownership. Is this going to be your first dog? Or simply first husky? Rescue dogs often prefers a professional handler, because of their slight difference in daily needs and/or training. So, IMO, if this is going to be your very first dog, rescue is not really the best way to start. However, I'm not saying that it is impossible. Diamond--my very first husky and very first dog--is rescued from a neglectful and abusive home. And I must say: a rescue dog is TOTALLY different than a breeder's puppy. They have a big bunch of special needs, plus they take longer to come out of their shell and bond with you. Are you any good in leadership? Are you a strong-willed, consistent person? If no, you might want to try and change your personality a bit O_O I know shelter dogs don't have that much time, but please take your time and think about this carefully. Are you really ready for a rescue?

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm trying to scare you away, but the thing is I am one of those people who jumped to a decision without much research and ended-up having a tough first months with my husky (which is stressful for both him and my family). I am lucky to have such submissive dog that helps with the behavioral recovery process, but some people might not be as lucky as me =\ I'm just trying to prevent more people making the same mistake, all because I'm so happy to hear you've decided to rescue :) have fun with your future husky! :D