Why the Siberian?

SA DA KA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1, its a breed ive always loved and wanted a dog i could work i.e bikejoring or scootering

2, i got diva in 2011

3, we had her as a pup at 8 weeks old

1) What made you choose the Siberian Husky as your choice of dog?

I've always loved them. I don't know why or what set me off, but I've loved them for as long as I can remember. I remember being about 8 when I first learned about malamutes - I'd walked past someone outside the school gate who had a big malamute bitch with him and I asked him if it was a husky. He spent a few minutes talking to me about the differences between huskies and malamutes :) I like other breeds too, but nothing comes close to my feelings for huskies.

2) What year did you get your Siberian?

The back end of 2010 (sort of - I know she's a cross but..) - Kiska was born on 22nd October 2010, I chose her on 31st October, and picked her up on 17th December :)

3) Did you get your Siberian as a Pup or a Rescue?

I got her as a puppy - it was Kiska or no dog at all; my aunt called me on 22nd October to tell me that her friend's husky was giving birth and asked if I would want one of the puppies as a 21st Birthday present. I went nuts and spent the next few days convincing my parents to let me have one. It would have defeated the object if I'd then turned around and said "Now you've said I CAN have a puppy, I don't want one of those I want a pure husky or a rescue". Do not regret my decision one bit, I came away with the most perfect dog in the world :doglick::heartbeat:

P.s. If I could have one of the pups in the photo you posted I would totally snap up the one in the 3rd picture along, second row. Has my favourite colour and markings for a husky :wub:

1) What made you choose the Siberian Husky as your choice of dog? I first became attracted to the breed when I was about 7 years old, and that's when I literally started my research. Wasn't able to get my first til about 12 years later.. what a long wait, lol!

2) What year did you get your Siberian? My first Siberian, Taz, I got in 2005. I got Echo in 2011.

3) Did you get your Siberian as a Pup or a Rescue? Both were rescues :D

1) What made you choose the Siberian Husky as your choice of dog? I first became attracted to the breed when I was about 7 years old, and that's when I literally started my research. Wasn't able to get my first til about 12 years later.. what a long wait, lol!

2) What year did you get your Siberian? My first Siberian, Taz, I got in 2005. I got Echo in 2011.

3) Did you get your Siberian as a Pup or a Rescue? Both were rescues :D

Big Husky Hugs to you for Rescuing!!!:lovebone:

1. Husband wanted one.

2. January 2008

3. I call Wyatt a rescue. My husband found him on a kijiji-type site as "free to good home." We arrived to find a 6 year-old husky with frostbitten ears whose ribs you could count through his ragged winter coat. I still didn't want him, but I couldn't leave him there after I saw him.

I love there intelligence but also love their stubborn-ness and the fact they can be difficult to train.

I have researched them for 6 years before getting my first.

start of 2010

Got Zarly as a 14 week old, Joey at 10 weeks old (Rehomed), Marakai was a rescue, Buddy was a foster (rehomed) and we have a Samoyed who's (rounded it off to 2 but traced his history and they are saying he's not even two yet) and he's a rescue.

Smokey was originally a foster dog. Going to stay with us until his owner could get set up and find a place where animals were allowed

Weird and long story. I've told it before but might as well tell it again. My husband went to get our cat neutered and this guy was desperately looking for a place to have Smokey stay. His landlord was upset that he had Smokey. Smokey was on his last leg at the shelter. So my husband brought him home.

Rescue/Rehome...

Love you for asking this question...:)

I love there intelligence but also love their stubborn-ness and the fact they can be difficult to train.

I have researched them for 6 years before getting my first.

start of 2010

Got Zarly as a 14 week old, Joey at 10 weeks old (Rehomed), Marakai was a rescue, Buddy was a foster (rehomed) and we have a Samoyed who's (rounded it off to 2 but traced his history and they are saying he's not even two yet) and he's a rescue.

We definitely agree with answer one, and good for you for doing rescues, we also rescued two. A big Husky Hug to you:grouphug:

Husky Lovers in Vermont

Smokey was originally a foster dog. Going to stay with us until his owner could get set up and find a place where animals were allowed

Weird and long story. I've told it before but might as well tell it again. My husband went to get our cat neutered and this guy was desperately looking for a place to have Smokey stay. His landlord was upset that he had Smokey. Smokey was on his last leg at the shelter. So my husband brought him home.

Rescue/Rehome...

Love you for asking this question...:)

We want to thank you and your husband for doing such a noble act of kindness. We are in the process of opening a Non-Profit Husky Rescue called Siberian Iris Husky Rescue Center of Vermont, for there are no Siberian Rescue in Vermont.:doglick::doglick::doglick:

1) my OH has always loved huskys and his uncle has 8 so he's always been around them, me? I just always wanted a dog of any kind (after finding this site I think I might be more addicted now than he is lol)

2) we got Nanook in 2010

3) we had her from a pup at 7 weeks from a breeder - would consider a rescue now as I feel we are more experienced.

1) What made you choose the Siberian Husky as your choice of dog? I have always wanted a dog (the scrattiest mongrel on the block would've made me happy). The OH has always wanted huskies. So many months of research...met some at a rescue centre (sadly no good for us) and then it was, decision made! First dog was to be a husky and I got to choose the breed of the second. But you know....once you get a husky, nothing else is good enough. So 2 huskies it is!

2) What year did you get your Siberian? Teeko 2010, keeta, 2011

3) Did you get your Siberian as a Pup or a Rescue? Both puppies. Slightly scarred from bad rescue experience with a family dog a few years ago but after reading so many amazing success stories here I do think i'd be more inclined towards a rescue in the future.

1. I have loved Huskies since I was a kid. For their beauty, intelligence, fun personalities and the amazing ability to pull a sled for hours on end. I'm also fascinated with the sport of mushing. I studied and researched the breed off and on for many years. I finally decided to actually get one when we bought a house that had a very large fenced in yard.

2. We got our first Husky, Elke, in 1993. She passed in June 2008. Just 3 months shy of 15 yrs. We then got Zoya in Sept. 2008. Eisa joined us in April 2011.

3. First 2, Elke & Zoya, as 8 week old pups. Eisa was a rescue from a local shelter.

1) What made you choose the Siberian Husky as your choice of dog?Our home was burglarized 17 1/2 years ago. It was pretty scary for the entire family. We decided we wanted a 'big' dog to deter such things as we lived at the end of a dirt road along the river. We were reading pet ads when we ran across one for Siberian pups. My OH asked, 'Aren't those the ones with the blue eyes?' and without a second thought, we went and picked one out. I only knew I wanted a male and Bo (my avatar) was the only male in the litter. We brought him home without knowing a thing about the breed. Thankfully, he was a patient husky and taught me everything I needed to know. He was that 'once in a lifetime' soul mate for me. Among the many things he taught me was that there was no other breed that could compare. We didn't get into each other's lives with the proper research that should be done, but he was the best teacher I could have ever had. We got him at 8 weeks old and he lived until March of 2010, passing as a result of a stroke at the tender age of 15 years and 4 months.

My second husky was purchased from a reputable breeder (Sutsibe on the forum). I met her after I learned she raised huskies and I wanted to do an article on them for the newspaper I work at. After loosing Bo, I needed a 'husky-fix' and called her up. She graciously allowed me to come meet her pack (whom I immediately fell in love with!). A few months later, she called to say that she was having a litter. I swore off ever having another, but before the pups were born, I knew I had to have one. She is the best! This July she'll be two years old and she too is teaching me something new about huskies each and every day.

Bo in 1995

Ryn in 2010

Both were pups.

1. My boyfriend fell in love with huskies after studying the Iditarod in middle school. I, however, never even considered owning one. Not that I didn't like them. If you asked me what breed I wanted, I wouldn't have even thought of a husky! I had never seen one in person and only saw them in the cartoon Balto when I was younger. We decided to get a dog and Steve said a siberian or no dog. lol. I then quickly started researching the breed and thought it would probably be a very bad fit. First we live in FL where it's hot, we have two cats, and our yard is fenced with 4ft chain link (something a husky could easily go over!).

2. But obviously we got one anyway at the beginning of 2010 and then a second later in the year.

3. We got both as puppies since we have cats and didn't want to risk it with a rescue. Siku's breeder is the typical BYB and breeds way too much. I really hate the lady and wish we hadn't given her a dime. After calling her up saying Siku almost died on day two of us having her due to being full of worms and the lady taking no responsibility for it, I haven't spoken to her since. After that we searched for a reputable breeder and got Elara. I love her breeder! lol. We're really good friends now.

Oh and my mom does all breed rescue and I've made her take in two huskies. lol. I found a home really quickly for the first (he was such a sweet boy), but it took about 2 months to find the second one a home and I think that may have ended my mom doing husky rescue. Raiya, the last rescue, had all the typical husky traits. Very stubborn, very strong, would jump fences and dig under them, and the worst part, kind of wanted to eat my mom's smaller dogs! Oops! I'm sure I'll find another sweet one and talk her into rescuing it. ;)

1) I have always loved huskies. I don't know why, I don't even know that anyone told me about this breed. Might sound odd and irrational, but the word "siberian husky" just popped up to my head and I have always wanted to own one since then O_O

2) Last year. Diamond is still counted as my new dog :)

3) Rescued at 13 months old

3) Did you get your Siberian as a Pup or a Rescue?[ATTACH=full]39087[/ATTACH]

1. I've always loved huskies ever since I was a kid. Them and Mal's I think, because they were the closest to a "Wolf" I was ever going to get. My uncle got a Mal half-breed - he had blue eyes - and when I saw how big Sye was, I realized Mals were just too much dog for me, so husky it was. Then my now ex got into liking dogs and huskies and found out about the Seppala as she was going to do sled racing and wanted something "unique". I met and got my first Seppala the same year (2008) and I doubt I'll ever look back.

2. I got Arizona in 2008, Orion and Shila in 2011.

3. Arizona and Rion were pups, Shila was nine months old. I'm already debating getting a third so I can have an excuse to get a sled, plus I need a dog to equal Orion for size, as Shila's sooo tiny compared to him. :P

I have always adored Siberians they are their very own dog I love how cheeky they are and how they have alot of energy without being bouncy hyper (like a lab). They are beautiful and friendly and almost always get along with everybody. They just have this way about them that makes my heart melt :P

2011 :P

As a pup

1.) I have read all about 3 different breeds of dogs. I found the Husky to match me perfectly and continued to do more research for the next 8 months and than decided on getting one.

2.)I got Bella in 2011 and Melinko in 2012.

3.) I got Bella at 8 weeks old from a breeder and Melinko at 6 weeks from a breeder.

What made you choose the Siberian Husky as your choice of dog?

My favourite animals in the world have always been the Siberian Tiger and Siberian Wolf :)

When I stopped work I spent months on the internet just looking at pictures of dogs and cats and watched any animal related programs on TV. Then one day I came across a website that said huskies are usually a pretty good breed for someone with allergies/asthma. That was it - I started looking and then persuaded my husband, and then my doctor that we should a least try it. I found Ozzy :heartbeat: and he stole my heart, a few months later we got our precious Micah :heartbeat:

2009 - a few months apart

Ozzy was an accidental pregnancy (supposedly) :( Father registered, and mother was a rescue

Micah was a re-home at four months old :(

They make my life complete :yahoo: I cannot imagine my life without them :)

1) I had a friend who had two huskies and when they were away working I looked after the two boys( ty & cuzzo, they were brothers from different litters but same parents, 5 an 6 years old) When they moved I missed them so decided to get my own.

2) I got Togo in June 2008 Loki an Safi in jan 2009 and Peppa in July 2010

3) Togo was 7 wks Loki an Saf 7&8 wks and Peppa 10wks

One: I have always been passionate about animals. Of every kind. Growing up- instead of watching saturday morning cartoons, I was watching animal planet ER vets and such! :) The Siberian had always been one of my favorite breeds. Im a fan of bigger dogs. Well During my first marriage We obtained two beautiful huskies. A Male and a female. They were stolen out of our backyard a year later. Two years before the divorce. I swore Id never replace them with another husky. 6 years down the road, I missed them like crazy. My Fiance' bought Grimm from a breeder in TN. [We had tried through rescues- but they wouldnt adopt to military families] Grimm is my love.

Two: 2011 :) He was 14 weeks.

Three: From a breeder in TN. I know I may get backlash for that, but Ill admit it. Reason being no rescues would adopt to a military family. Which- I understand why, but at the same time not all military households are irresponsible and ignorant. Grimm has been from TN to CA, Drove across the country with me to FL, flown to Mardid- and driven here to where we are in Spain now. He has been on 3 flights... It isnt cheap- but that in itself should prove enough we would never leave him behind. Tyrant is the hubby's dog- and he has traveled equally as much. They are our babies. :)

Three:

1) What made you choose the Siberian Husky as your choice of dog? Always loved wolves, and they have that look-I know its cliche, but they are both highly intelligent and represent "true wild" and a nature spirit untamed full of life and vigor, however, I would attest that to me, they look far better than a wolf. Don't know if I'm predisposed to prejudice because I'm so in love with them, but they represent pureness, vitality, love, compassion, innocent mischievousness, and live life to the fullest today attitude and what a joyful nature and spirit they have-I just:heartbeat: love them! :heartbeat: Now as I ponder this question, its a perfect match-me, a Scandinavian (

wife calls me a Yeti because I love the cold-always ran AC in winter here because it wasn't cold enough for me-that stopped when she move in :D) and a Siberian-both of us Northern Breeds:p !

2) What year did you get your Siberian? I got my first back in 1997 and my ex-wife took her away when we got divorced-felt like I lost a child :( didn't do my research too well with her, but I've been handling dogs since I was a teen and never have gone without one, so I thought I'd always be ready. Our current boy, Czar Demon Dragunov has been with us since he was 8 weeks old, got him from a breeder 45 min away. Felt kinda bad for not rescuing, but I've rescued Australian Cattle Dogs for about 23 years and THIS TIME, after thoroughly doing my legwork on researching this marvelous breed, I wanted to get a pup(this is my wife's first Husky-and first Dog! She always has been a cat person) To answer the second question, we got both as pups at different times, one in 1997 and Czar Demon in Jan 29th, 2011

3) Did you get your Siberian as a Pup or a Rescue? As a pup. We are the rescuing kind, and would rescue one when we are ready for another. Right now, we have lots of rescue cats who are indoor/outdoor (in at night, out during the day) as we live in the woods and they love it! Rescued them from Hurricane Ike when we went through that. Sorry for being too long:rolleyes: I'm very passionate about Sibes and rescues

1. She was in a rescue center I was volunteering at and she was so friendly, happy & bouncy I fell in love. I went home, found this forum, did a shedload of research & weighed up the pros & cons and then the following weekend I took my partner to meet her. We weren't specifically looking for a husky cross, it was her nature & personality that won our hearts.

2. July 2011

3. She's a rescue. Husky cross Labrador who was given up by a couple in their 70's, their reason? She got too big & bouncy!