Any interest?

D Libby

Hello fellow husky owners,

I am curious to see if there would be any interest in 100ft dog leads if I was to start producing them. I have looked online and found that there is not many producing these.....I am wondering if there is any demand. If there is, I can start putting these together along with prices. If not, then nothing lost :) Thanks everyone

P.S - My sibe loves hers....I can bring her to an open field and let her run her engergy out without worrying about losing her.

I voted yes. I have a 50 foot lead right now, and love it. 100 feet would be a bit too long for our normal play area, however, I would love to take her to a big field and let her go on a longer one! :) Eventually I was going to get another 50 footer, as like you said, the 100 foot leads I've found are hard to come by, at least in my neck of the woods.

I worry about the retractable ones breaking under the unrelenting assault they take from Husky's-our boy broke one by stripping the gears in the braking mechanism when he was just 4 months old-don't know if the bigger ones will hold up or not-what is your opinions about this? Can they stand up to being yanked taught violently?

I worry about the retractable ones breaking under the unrelenting assault they take from Husky's-our boy broke one by stripping the gears in the braking mechanism when he was just 4 months old-don't know if the bigger ones will hold up or not-what is your opinions about this? Can they stand up to being yanked taught violently?

I have a battle-tested 16ft Comfort 3 Flexi-leash. I didn't take any chances and got the large, which is rated to 110lbs. It was expensive, but I've had it for at least 6 years now. For a long time I was paranoid about it breaking, but it's stood up to some heavy abuse and taken repeated 65-lb body slams to the end of the line. Because of how long I've had it, I'm to the point where I use the button to stop the leash before the dogs get to the end, just because I have visions of it giving way if they hit the end ot he line one time too many. I don't know how they're secured in there, but it must be pretty damned well! The gears are incredible and it grabs strong enough that the line never slips through the gears, so I don't think it's really possible for them to strip because they always grip solid.

http://www.flexiusa.com/shop/product_detail.php?productId=628&categoryId=322

You can buy them at most pet stores, and it also comes in a 25ft lead, which is what I would get next.

I've seen them at our farm store where we can take our pup shopping with us, and they had large, but I was just nervous about them because of the immense power and that sudden jerk when they get to the end just makes me cringe it would snap, but that 110 lb rating should stand up to a 61 lb Husky-thank you!

we have 100ft leads for our two....not retractable, off ebay for 12 pound each yay.

gonna need new ones soon, but i check them everytime i roll them up to check for damage. only thing is cause we have two they tend to get tangled up after every walk, so spend a good half hour splitting them up. lol

I have two 100ft leads.

the dogs do get tangled and you do get jerked when they get to the end I use my walking belt.

Oh and wear gloves lol you get lead burns

but, it is a safe useful thing to have,

and when mine are worn yes I would buy another

im not a fan of flexi leads but i have a couple of 50ft leads and when i take diva out on the big open field ive tied them together so she can have a good run around x

I would LOVE one of those! :up: not going to buy it before I make sure it's strong enough tho :confused: my baby boy can easily break a chain----obviously made of STEEL----when he was 15 kilograms (18 months old). NOW when he's over 20 kilos... Possibly 25... I can't imagine putting him on a flexi lead stretching 100 feet away because once he snapped the leash and ran free I'd be dead before I'm able to catch him :S:

so yea if u made one that is proven strong enough for a husky I'd buy it in an instant :D (if I have the money, that is .___.)

Thanks for the responses and info guys. These would not be retractable. I am looking for the "best" most cost effective way to go about doing this.

Webbing is nice....but is it practical? You wont be walking your dog on this leash....you will be letting it run as far as the 100 feet will take it.......

With that in mind, I think rope at about 3/8" is a good alternative for a few reasons:

1. 100ft is a lot of material, you want to be able to coil it in as fast as possible without having a big bundled mess.

2. Twisting. Rope can work its self out of many twists on itself because of being round....webbing will bind.

3. Rope can come in many strengths depending on the braid...climbing rope can withstand a 100ft freefall with human weight.

4. Rope has some stretch to it to help with running jerks.

I had made my lead out of 3/8 rope. I have found that you may get one original "jerk" with the dog. This is because....there is 100ft to work with there.....if the dog is on a dead run to the end of the lead and they stop suddenly.....they will most of the time just head back or sideways, this really cuts down on the pulling.

I will stand in one stationary position or the center point of the area. Nali can run around as much as she wants over the rope...under the rope...and she will not tangle with the rope....most tangles come from the operators trying to "fix" the rope.

I am going to get a video posted later of her using her lead.

Just bought a 100Ft lead off ebay( 2 Ply 1"inch - 25mm .Polypropylene Webbing) and have only used it once so far, but found the "weight" of it when totaly out was the main unweildy thing about it. Ok so Pepper is still only a pup at 5 months but I would guess it would still feel "heavy" when shes an adult from my side of things.

Rope - I think is a good idea/solution, as you say it will sort itself out whereas 25mm webbing lead gets in all sorts of twists and tangles.

Here are some videos I took today of the rope in action....just a crude mock up to test the rope. Im trying to get variables before deciding on a price.... Rope clamps can be used with such as in the video but can have covers...no covers......or the line can be spliced....but that is more work intensive and the rope will cost more.

Here are some videos I took today of the rope in action....just a crude mock up to test the rope. Im trying to get variables before deciding on a price.... Rope clamps can be used with such as in the video but can have covers...no covers......or the line can be spliced....but that is more work intensive and the rope will cost more.

Those rope clamps will hold up to the strain of a 1,000lb horse with no issues - the snaps themselves give before the clamps will. I think that they will be more than sufficient for this purpose.

Those are actually pretty sweet-looking ropes!

• 1 month later...