Safi's figured out I hide her medication in her dinner lol

Povodny

The last couple of nights Safi has managed to pick her medication out of her dinner and leave it in the bowl. Not a problem as she just gets it in her breakfast and as she's more hungry in the morning she hasn't noticed it.. It's actually a huge big blue thing that must taste awful.

This morning, she picked last nights big blue thing out an spat it on the floor lol. So I took a piece of cheese and squashed it in the middle. Offered it and she managed to roll it round her mouth an spat it on the floor, cheeseless. I tried again, it landed on the floor and again, still the floor.. It's now pretty sticky so I took a slice of beef an wrapped it in that. It plonked onto the floor once more.. At this point I was in stitches, her face was a picture so I grabbed her mouth an shoved it down her throat, she gulped a bit, gave me her coldest stare and walked away.

And we get to do it all over again tonight lol

Isn't that just the most fun!! Diamond is used to pill popping, she was a wreck when we got her. But Dakota is the most untrusting dog ever! If he suspects us "poisoning" him with meds he will stay off his food and watches us with suspicious eyes.

I can picture those eyes lol

Aww bless her! Clever girl.

I use peanut butter the hid Roxy's! The crunchy kind, i found it's too sticky to separate the tablet from the treat, so if she wants the peanut butter she has no choice but to eat the tablet too!

Can I just add use peanut butter with caution? We found out the rather hard way that Diamond was allergic to peanuts while pill hiding. She was on 6 pills in the am, 3 in mid day, and 6 in the pm...a spoon full of peanut butter hid them all so well and went down just as easily until we had to rush her to the vet with swelling and itching...it was the single most scary thing we've been through in a long time.

Can I just add use peanut butter with caution? We found out the rather hard way that Diamond was allergic to peanuts while pill hiding. She was on 6 pills in the am, 3 in mid day, and 6 in the pm...a spoon full of peanut butter hid them all so well and went down just as easily until we had to rush her to the vet with swelling and itching...it was the single most scary thing we've been through in a long time.

Oh gosh! That does sound scary :(

Roxy isn't on any kind of medication, i only do it once a month for her worming tablet and she'll sometimes have it frozen in her kong. She's not had any kind of reaction to it. But it's a very good point for people that haven't tried it before or have to do it on a daily basis!

lol my girls always spit their medication out if i hide it in food so i have no choice put to put it in the back of their mouths hold their mouth shut and wait until they swallow have to rub the throat a bit sometimes as well to encourage the swallowing part and even then it doesn't always make them swallow it lol

Mine is HORRIBLE about pills - always suspicious and if anything seems dubious to him, he will just not eat anything without checking for pills first. Followed by spitting the pills out, while munching on the tasty treat.

:arghh:

Which is why we have resorted to crushing the pills and mixing the powder with pate (simply putting the pills in the pare won't work for him - he will "detect" them). Or mixing the powder with stew or broth, generally something semi-liquid so that he can't separate the powder from the actual food (which he has done before if we just put the powder in between two pieces of cheese).

I can tell you, whenever he is sick, it's a pain in the butt!!!