Calling all 'silver surfers' and beyond...a question about old money.

Mollys_mum

Sorry to put this into the steam room but I didn't know where else to put it!:oops:

I have a possible rant about about an article in the 'Daily Fail/Wail' that was in this morning's news and would like to write to the 'offending' MP in question by pointing out that he is comparing the former boss of Tesco's wages in his first ever job (pre - decimalisation) to that of Job seekers allowance at today's rate.

Can anyone on here, who is old enough, remember how much a loaf of bread was in the 1950s, 60s or until 1970? I've looked on Google but can't find out what I need.

For anyone interested in the aforementioned piece, it is here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104027/Stacking-shelves-better-dreaming-stardom-X-Factor-says-Iain-Duncan-Smith.html

I agree with you Iain is wrong IMO with this statement "the unemployed continue to receive their normal Jobseeker’s Allowance as well as expenses" I would give them nothing if they did not work.

One good thing I did see in this if it puts the lazy sods back in work I would make it compulsory " around 50 per cent of those taking part have either taken up permanent posts or have stopped claiming benefits"

:mad:

I agree with you Iain is wrong IMO with this statement "the unemployed continue to receive their normal Jobseeker’s Allowance as well as expenses" I would give them nothing if they did not work.

One good thing I did see in this if it puts the lazy sods back in work I would make it compulsory " around 50 per cent of those taking part have either taken up permanent posts or have stopped claiming benefits"

:mad:

I'm making dinner (and bleeding pancakes at the moment) but I'll answer this later on, Dunc.:D

Personally get a bit outraged by the 'benefits society' we currently live in. I fully accept that some people both need and deserve benefits and I wish these people the best of luck but there are too many around here who scam benefits and sit on their lazy behinds day in day out. Even more annoying...is that some of these are now the recipients of a brand new home, complete with solar panels, 2011 cars sitting in the driveway..as part of a regeneration scheme so the place looks like less of a doss hole.

The people...in general...who have it hardest are those who work and work but earn just too much to be elligible for any support and their finances are so tight that they're permanently stretched and trying to make ends meet.

I sound like a right cow ha...but I really can't be doing with the scammers and the lazybones. If you need and deserve benefits then i'm glad the support is out there.

Am sure you will :confused:

I've been a Teacher and a GCSE Examiner for a core subject for many years. I am now unemployed this year. I have not been unemployed for 20 years before 2011. Should I fit into your scheme of work? Am I lazy? Should I be working for 'poundland' etc?

Please enlighten me.:rolleyes:

What about people with a terminal illness such as cancer who have a few months or more to live. The Government are asking them to do voluntary work or have there benefit cut :jawdrop: They are going to far I think. Crack down on the scroungers, but not the needy:arghh:...........Ron

Money

Aol Money

Terminally ill forced to take unpaid work?

Text Size A A A

650 Comments

pa-12095144.jpgFor some long-term sick and disabled people, the future is unpaid - and unlimited - work. That's the stark reality for some if plans by the Department for Work and Pensions come to fruition.

And if you don't work, you could kiss goodbye to your benefits. The move, unsurprisingly, has taken much flak from mental health groups.

Justification?

The line-up includes those, the Guardian reports, with terminal cancer, but have more than six months to live, accident and stroke victims and those with mental health issues.

Matt Taylor, Mind spokesperson, told AOL Money he was concerned that people with mental health problems would "need substantial amount of support to return to employment for a whole variety of reasons, stemming from complicated medical factors. We're concerned that being pushed back into work could be damaging for their mental health."

Some individuals involved in the Wrag (work-related activity group) could be forced to do unlimited work experience for charities, high-street shops and public bodies. This contrasts with the eight-week limit for non-disabled jobseekers on a government work experience programme, plus the six-month limit on unpaid work for the community action programme, a program designed to help the very long-term unemployed.

Unpaid, no time limit

The DWP claims the changes will be 'supportive'. Currently there are around 300,000 Wrag claimants. However there significnat concerns about whether staff in job centres and other agencies will have the expertise to deal with work opportunities for the terminally ill. There will also be profound concern about assessment techniques.

Compulsory work could also put pressure on some people's already-fragile state of health, made worse by the threat of their sole source of income being removed. However, for some, the chance to work again could be an opportunity and restore self-respect, the DWP is likely to argue

Sorry Molly's Mum...no intention to offend.

According to the Google Gods....in 1960 a loaf of bread cost 5p (and the Beatles formed ha!)

Many thanks. I tried looking on G yesterday but could only find a comprehensive list for typical values in the USA. Oh, and an old Sheffield forum.

Whilst I agree with everyone else here about the need for the system to be fairer (people working who have cancer and such is an absolute disgrace:mad:),

my intention was not to critisise the article per se, but rather to question why our 'esteemed' Minister of State used Leahy as a comparison. I want to research this a bit more, but I reckon Leahy would have left school and started his first job prior to decimalisation. A rough estimate of monetry values then and now, lead me to guess that he would have had to have been paid a wage then that would equate to about £5.00 (its worth in 2012) now. :confused:

My son has a degree in animal science, he's worked as labourer, park ranger and in a plant nursery, all placements from the government.

He applies for jobs all over the country and averages 20-30 applications a week He rarely gets responses, and has had one interview. I imagine you'll say he's doing something wrong. He may well be. He applies for jobs in his field and shop or labouring jobs.

He has a condition called Crohns. It started when he was in his final year at uni. It's taken 2 yrs to diagnose and 4 years on he's only just, in the last 3 months, started getting it under control. He has to add this to his application forms. He has regular hospital visits and has ended up in emergency on a couple of occasions. He has never, when in work placement, taken a day off sick. But i can only imagine prospective employers read he has this condition and dismiss his applications.

There are people who are happy in their situation and don't want to work, they're happy living on limited means without a future. My son isnt one of them.

My son has a degree in animal science, he's worked as labourer, park ranger and in a plant nursery, all placements from the government.

He applies for jobs all over the country and averages 20-30 applications a week He rarely gets responses, and has had one interview. I imagine you'll say he's doing something wrong. He may well be. He applies for jobs in his field and shop or labouring jobs.

He has a condition called Crohns. It started when he was in his final year at uni. It's taken 2 yrs to diagnose and 4 years on he's only just, in the last 3 months, started getting it under control. He has to add this to his application forms. He has regular hospital visits and has ended up in emergency on a couple of occasions. He has never, when in work placement, taken a day off sick. But i can only imagine prospective employers read he has this condition and dismiss his applications.

There are people who are happy in their situation and don't want to work, they're happy living on limited means without a future. My son isnt one of them.

Offtopic....can't see as on my phone, are you UKk based? If yes has your son registered with environmentjob.co.uk. Huge range of jobs that would more than likely cover your sons area. Also shows volunteer opportunities as with any animal based job...experience is key and usually more important than qualifications. Finding wwork in the animal sector is bloomin hard...and one of the reasons I went into teaching (my first degree was Wildlife Conservation). Even getting some experience in admin type stuff would really help him as animal charities generally need someone who can do it all!

Hope he finds something soon! The wages are pap...the hours even worse...but its all about the love! Good luck!

P.s. Sorry...totally hijacked!