Backyard Questions

Kellyanne

Does anyone know how to get your husky to stop digging. We used to have a nice backyard when it was just Alexis. The only thing Alexis would do is sleep under the banana tree or lay in the flowerbeds. Since we have gotten Hannah or backyard is now basically muddy holes. Does anyone have any solutions. Everyday I have to mop my wood floors and thank god don't have carpet anymore. But I don't know what to do. Spend money on new sod? Cement it all in? Artificial grass? Need help!!!

Thanks guys![ATTACH]39587[/ATTACH]

post-6991-13586021175543_thumb.jpg

you try scooping the poop into the holes and then re burring them? I have heard that works great just might have to do it alot. Does she try to dig out of the fence? If its on the preimiter i have also heard to attach some chicken wire to the bottom of the fence and bury that a foot in the dirt and when they go to dig at it they dont like the metal against their paws and they will stop.

Yeah let us know if that works. Fortuantly Droid doesnt dig holes but my damn room mates pitbull lab mix does and it drives me insane... If i trip in one more hole i am going to go ape shit on him and tell him he needs to be out there with his dog and he needs to watch her and figure it out because she is destroying our yard too, so i went out there today and did the poop thing and i guess i will see how that works also.

oh gosh. we spent so much money grassing our backyard, fencing it so that the grass would settle in but nothing worked. Our backyard looks like a barren wanna be park.

they dig up the sprinkler system. we built a small sand box for them but they don't seem to like the dirt in there.

but i would suggest a sandbox with the right kind of dirt. and reprimanding when they dig in the incorrect area.

best to you!

I think Alexis would like the sand but Hannah being white loves the Georgia clay. I might be better off mulching the backyard I think. Mine dig up the termite stations so when my termite guy comes he has to bury it again and I swear Hannah does it to help him know where it is.

Make her a sandbox that she's allowed to dig in. When you catch her digging, reprimand and stop her, then call her over to the sandbox. If she digs in the sandbox praise her.

That's the only permanent solution I've been able to come up with (although I haven't tried the burying of poop!).

Same thing here. Hannah knows she is not supposed to dig so she does it when we are not home. I have never seen her actually dig anything just see her come in the house dirty. So there is no chance for my to tell her no! I would also love to know if anyone has tried mulch before I spend the money!

Thanks

Same thing here. Hannah knows she is not supposed to dig so she does it when we are not home. I have never seen her actually dig anything just see her come in the house dirty. So there is no chance for my to tell her no! I would also love to know if anyone has tried mulch before I spend the money!

Thanks

You have to have the "allowed" area to dig established first anyway. Then you have to spend some time in the yard with them - ideally when they are first turned out and active, and spend a long time out there - doing yardwork, etc. She will dig at some point. Then you can stop her, bring her to the "allowed" area, encourage digging ("what's this?" and pawing at the ground myself helped with that) then praise like hell when they get it. Better to control the behaviour and face the uphill battle of trying to "cure" it.

If your weather is hot, a wading pool to let them cool down helps immensely too, since often they dig to create a cool (or in the winter warmer) spot to lie down.