Do your huskies seem to know when they meet other huskies?

kper

I ask this because I have been limited to the amount and variety of other dogs that Ahna has been able to socialize with. Up until this evening she has shown very little to no interest in other dogs except to maybe say hi.

Tonight we took our usual walk by the river. After our walk I was standing on the paved trail getting ready to load her up when I noticed another husky coming down the trail. I was actually excited because I would like nothing more than for Ahna to meet another husky. Unfortunately, this lady turned her husky towards the parking lot while making eye contact with me and headed for her vehicle. Obviously she didn't want the dogs to meet.

Well, Ahna caught sight of this other husky about the same time it saw her. Ahna barked a couple times and talked about 10 seconds followed by another couple barks while pulling on her leash. The other husky was on it's hind legs talking back while it's owner pulled it to her car.

Ahna has never acted this way towards another dog... especially one that was 35 to 40 yards away. She wasn't angry but was acting excited with her tail going. Her tail is never going with other dogs.

I obviously need to get her together with other huskies, if nothing more than to see how she responds.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi i noticed your post and have read through it and i had the exact same behaviour from my eldest husky before i got my other two huskys i only had izzy and when walking her she never bothered with other dogs and seemed to have a very nervous side towards staffs.... but i then got another husky and she seemed like another dog so giddy and happy it was like she knew it was a husky even to this day she still has no interest in other dogs she may look at them but that is about it but other huskys mals etc she is so different towards

yep! I believe huskies have this special liking towards dogs of the same breed. Diamond loves everyone, that's for sure but if Mike--the only other husky in this neighborhood--comes round he'll be jumping and talking and howling :eek: he'd start jumping up on me (normally he doesn't do this) and pawing my legs asking me if he can go and play with Mike x_x Mike on the other hand would also bark and pull and bark and PULL until he can give Dime some husky hugs LOL husky sure is a special breed xD

yep! I believe huskies have this special liking towards dogs of the same breed. Diamond loves everyone, that's for sure but if Mike--the only other husky in this neighborhood--comes round he'll be jumping and talking and howling :eek: he'd start jumping up on me (normally he doesn't do this) and pawing my legs asking me if he can go and play with Mike x_x Mike on the other hand would also bark and pull and bark and PULL until he can give Dime some husky hugs LOL husky sure is a special breed xD

mine are the same only interested in their own breed lol

lovely pictures do you have dog parks?

Yeah, we have a few around here. The first pic is a small dog park about 20mins away from me and the second one is a huge dog park (~14acres) with a pond in it about 30mins away. My girls will play with all different breeds, but they do have to at least greet every husky they see!

My two have never met another husky either :( They aren't interested in other dogs when we take them to the beach, but then again when other owners see us coming they make a huge detour around us :(

That's too bad but then again I head from other non-husky owners that the reasons they take a detour ranging from the usual "I thought they were wolf hybrid" to " we are scared because your 2 looks too confident." I can't even make up that last excuse up. In the end I do hope you will be able to meet another husky to socialize with.

That's too bad but then again I head from other non-husky owners that the reasons they take a detour ranging from the usual "I thought they were wolf hybrid" to " we are scared because your 2 looks too confident." I can't even make up that last excuse up. In the end I do hope you will be able to meet another husky to socialize with.

Thank you :)

In answer to the original quesiton?

YES they do.

Mine also know when we get all the stuff ready and get in the car, we are going to a husky meet!

Angel starts crying and storm gets all excited!

then they go nuts when we get out the car!

Echo has yet to meet other Huskies ... hope she will get to soon! Taz knew other Huskies very well and had his own pack at the dog park, haha. Here's a video my friend took, about 10 seconds in you see the pack of Huskies (Taz is the one who ends up running to the camera for his close up :P)

HVEouOxZ1go

I'm the odd one out :whistling:

Mine lives with 2 Border Collies & the g'friend has a Westie & Tibetan Terrier that she visits/walks/plays with. Mishka loves them all & will play with any dog she comes across on a walk.

I arranged to meet up with Sharon (Blue Bayou) & before we met, I jokingly said "I'm sure she thinks she's a BC".

"Wait until she meets my 3 Huskies, she'll know she's a Husky then!" was her reply.

When we met up, her 2 males were more interested in my BCs than Mishka & she wasn't paticularly bothered with the Huskies either, just more dogs to play with ;) She's adorable & I love her but she's a one in a million Sibe :lolman:

Diesel LOVES huskies! He'll play with them and wag his tail when he sees huskies, but with other dogs he'll bark and look unsure. Its weird.

He behaves well around other huskies aswell, but on his own he'll push his luck. Weird dog :whistling: lol

My two are the same they love huskies plays with them nicely but if there no other huskies around they will start throwing their weight around the other dogs. :(

I dunno. I am usually the one who takes detours around other dogs. There is a sweet husky that I always see in our neighborhood. She's probably like 11 years old and limber as can be. But I try to keep my dogs away as I am nervous about how they react toward other dogs.

That's the worst thing you can do. No offence but you should socialize your dogs (one by one if need be). They will pick up on your anxiety & react accordingly :confused:

If you could take them out, one at a time, to meet other dogs & try & be relaxed whilst still being ready (just in case) it'd make life so much easier for you all ;)

That's the worst thing you can do. No offence but you should socialize your dogs (one by one if need be). They will pick up on your anxiety & react accordingly :confused:

If you could take them out, one at a time, to meet other dogs & try & be relaxed whilst still being ready (just in case) it'd make life so much easier for you all ;)

I have tried puppy classes and dog parks. neither has worked for us. from what i understand having a scared or aggressive dog on leash is a bad thing to bring to another owner and their leashed dog. i do it out of respect and fear for the other owner. should i just let the dogs work it out if i were to go meet the other owner and their dog? am always afraid my dogs will hurt the other dogs or that i'll get yelled at by the owner. we are a pretty tight nit community of dog walkers here. i don't want a reputation as the one with the aggressive dog. maybe if i talk to them first? it's complicated for me...sorry i'm venting. i appreciate your suggestion.

the end

I've never taken any of my dogs to puppy classes & we don't have any dog parks where I live so can't comment on either.

Are your dogs aggressive or are they scared? Aggression is harder to deal with, being scared is easy.

If they are scared, just sit down with them & get someone to come over to you slowly with another dog (all the time talk to your dog & reassure it). It will probably take a while for the dog to get used to other dogs but as long as you stick with it & keep the dog calm, it will soon see that meeting others is a plus ;)

I met a woman in the park with a very scared GSD ( 7months old), hated men. I had my 3 with me & started talking to the woman about the pup. I ended up walking around the park with them (hers trotting along happily with mine) until we were faced by a man walking across the grass.

She expected the dog to go nuts, I advised her to be calm & I asked the man if he'd mind coming over slowly & saying hello to the dog (I warned him he was scared so not to get too close). He did & the dog was fine, even wagged it's tail. I told her to continue doing that when in the park then gradually go into the centre of town & sit down & let people walk by.

I've seen them both in the park recently, dog off lead, running around happily & not scared any more :)

Good luck :)