Do your huskies seem to know when they meet other huskies?

kper

I've never taken any of my dogs to puppy classes & we don't have any dog parks where I live so can't comment on either.

Are your dogs aggressive or are they scared? Aggression is harder to deal with, being scared is easy.

If they are scared, just sit down with them & get someone to come over to you slowly with another dog (all the time talk to your dog & reassure it). It will probably take a while for the dog to get used to other dogs but as long as you stick with it & keep the dog calm, it will soon see that meeting others is a plus ;)

I met a woman in the park with a very scared GSD ( 7months old), hated men. I had my 3 with me & started talking to the woman about the pup. I ended up walking around the park with them (hers trotting along happily with mine) until we were faced by a man walking across the grass.

She expected the dog to go nuts, I advised her to be calm & I asked the man if he'd mind coming over slowly & saying hello to the dog (I warned him he was scared so not to get too close). He did & the dog was fine, even wagged it's tail. I told her to continue doing that when in the park then gradually go into the centre of town & sit down & let people walk by.

I've seen them both in the park recently, dog off lead, running around happily & not scared any more :)

Good luck :)

People like you are fine people and hard to find I tell ya. My husky is aggressive and my GSD scared....I will take them out separately on walks and try what you suggested with my GSD...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People like you are fine people and hard to find I tell ya. My husky is aggressive and my GSD scared....I will take them out separately on walks and try what you suggested with my GSD...

Just try and walk them with confidence, as I said, dogs can pick up from the owners feelings & react accordingly. If you are calm it should transfer to your dog. If the dog is aggressive, try muzzling it in public. It won't like it & will learn that aggression leads to muzzle - another trick ;) A friend has a huge GSD male & it used to be aggressive towards people as well.

I took my friendly (but dominant) Border Collie to see them. We left the dogs in the kitchen & heard growling. It was MINE! Then heard a tussle. Left them to it. 10 mins later, my worried mate went into the kitchen to make sure my dog was ok.

He walked in to find my dog sat staring up at him, tail wagging. His dog was hiding in the corner having literally crapped itself under the table. His wouldn't come near mine for a while lol

He changed temperament after that & became quite friendly to other dogs. It's twice the size of my BC :lolman:.

It must have learnt that size doesn't necessarily make you boss ;) It was still aggressive towards people so he bought a muzzle. If it growled the muzzle went on & stayed on for 10mins, then taken off. He soon learnt he didn't like the muzzle & if he wasn't aggressive, no muzzle.

Yeah, we have a few around here. The first pic is a small dog park about 20mins away from me and the second one is a huge dog park (~14acres) with a pond in it about 30mins away. My girls will play with all different breeds, but they do have to at least greet every husky they see!

we dont have dog parks which is a real shame as it would be so good for all the dogs in the area if their was..... so jelous lol