Getting a new Husky ! :)

jayk19

Hi i have a Male Husky how is 7 months old name draco!

and im going to dublin today to collect a female Husky ! and i think im sticking with the name blue cause of her eyes !!

the question i wanna ask is blue is 2 months old female and draco is 7 months can the be together when i go to bed or do they have to be in seperate rooms for now until they are used to one another :) thanks Justin !

draco is much bigger now ofcourse !! :)

upload pics soon :) !

and im going to dublin today to collect a female Husky ! and i think im sticking with the name blue cause of her eyes !!

the question i wanna ask is blue is 2 months old female and draco is 7 months can the be together when i go to bed or do they have to be in seperate rooms for now until they are used to one another :) thanks Justin !

Helloooo. Congrats on your new addition. We were worried too when we got our little one so we always crated her from day 1. That way she had his company, and they got used to each other, but she was safe. You'll probably have a plan in mind but when you bring her home, thats when you'll really figure it out.

Teeko adored Keeta from the second she walked through the door so completely separating them was thrown out the window! She still uses her crate and loves it but thats only because she is a bare faced counter surfer!

hello. I am going to be the one to point out the obvious.

You have a male, you are getting a female.

the female will go into her first season anytime after maybe 8 months ish or could be sooner

what are you going to do?

Are you going to get the boy neutered?

they can and will mate through stairgates and crates btw

just something to think about and soon before she goes into season.

I think you need a larger amount of patience here. Your baby boy is about to hit teenage stage (read: the period when they test the boundaries more) and now you're about to collect a little puppy! xD just to remind you: there WILL be days when you're not having a good mood and the dogs ruin it even more. Just remain patient, consistent, and... on top of all... PATIENT >_<

now the plus sides. Two dogs are definitely better than one. They now can tire each other out which means less Separation Anxiety and less hyper activeness. However, you need to do some research on how to properly introduce two dogs and how to manage a fight--including how to tell a husky fight apart from a real fight. Without enough knowledge about dog-to-dog interaction you will............. need to do some research .___. x) alright seriously now >_< please do not leave those two unattended especially because one of 'em is much bigger in size. They might accidentally injure one another, and no one wants that x_x last but not least, please pay attention to Louise's post. It is a very important point that you need to think about :) another last thing I wanna add: CONGRATULATIONS on having your new dog :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks For the Help Everyone :) they are both getting along Great! First Day or 2 was alot of jealousy lol! but i gave draco as much attention as i did blue ! i am abit in aware mode all the time because when she goes into season in about 3/4 months time, Eventually i will be breeding Them so when i got blues 2nd injection a few weeks ago i Asked the Vet when can i breed her ( i was thinking arounf the 2nd season/ 18 months old until shes a full grown adult) but he said to let them go natural when shes 7/8 months old this is nearly a year Younger then wat i thought !!! i need advice iv'e been looking up alot about breeding online and stuff !

Anyway Heres a Picture of the 2 of them :)

428149_10150572802535598_615225597_9474527_17711.jpg

Thanks For the Help Everyone :) they are both getting along Great! First Day or 2 was alot of jealousy lol! but i gave draco as much attention as i did blue ! i am abit in aware mode all the time because when she goes into season in about 3/4 months time, Eventually i will be breeding Them so when i got blues 2nd injection a few weeks ago i Asked the Vet when can i breed her ( i was thinking arounf the 2nd season/ 18 months old until shes a full grown adult) but he said to let them go natural when shes 7/8 months old this is nearly a year Younger then wat i thought !!! i need advice iv'e been looking up alot about breeding online and stuff !

Anyway Heres a Picture of the 2 of them :)

428149_10150572802535598_615225597_9474527_17711.jpg

they are a pair of cutie pies congratulations! Oh and your vet is IMO very wrong. No 8-months-old should be pregnant. Bitches should be at the very least two years old :)

i know ! i thought so to ! :) thank you !

now forgive me for making myself sound annoying, but I believe you've done plenty of researches about breeding? Oh and you know everything about those health tests and showing/working right :)

Eventually i will be breeding Them so when i got blues 2nd injection a few weeks ago i Asked the Vet when can i breed her ( i was thinking arounf the 2nd season/ 18 months old until shes a full grown adult) but he said to let them go natural when shes 7/8 months old this is nearly a year Younger then wat i thought !!! i need advice iv'e been looking up alot about breeding online and stuff !

Before you give any thought to breeding, there are a few things you need to ask yourself and a few things you should be aware of. May seem a bit blunt, but it's the breed that has to come first.

1. Both dogs should have their hips tested, certified, and scored before breeding. This can't be done until they are each at least two years of age. Bringing pups into the world without this critical test and certification, you run the risk of passing on genetic issues. Huskies are a breed noted for genetic hip problems.

2. Both dogs should have their eyes checked and certified by a vet opthamologist. Sibes are subject to genetic eye disease. Having both parent's eyes certified for health is critical before breeding.

3. There are so many Huskies that end up in shelters and rescue houses. In fact, the problem is extremely serious. Breeding more Huskies adds to the problem. This is a breed that is beautiful beyond belief, but also it's a breed that most new owners are not prepared for.

4. Be prepared. Giving birth puts the female at risk. There are issues during the pregnancy, and at birth. If one of the pups becomes breach, and surgery is needed to give birth, better have a wallet full of cash. Most often, this type of surgery is done on an emergency basis, and there's not a lot of time to waste. So you need to be able to know if and when surgery is required, not only to save the life of the pups, but of the mother.

5. Your vet needs to go back to school. Honestly, I would give serious consideration to changing vets. Any vet that would advise to let them go natural at 7/8 months, is really telling you to risk the health of your female, and the health of the puppies.

6. Ask yourself this question: If anyone that has a pup from this litter, is no longer able or willing to care for this pup, am I willing and able to take the dog back and care for it? This means, one, two, or all the pups. If not, then you simply should not breed.

7. Ask yourself this series of questions: Why do I want to breed? Is it because I want a pup from the litter? Is it because I want to make a bit of cash? Is it because I want to better the breed? If your answer favors the human side, my advice is not to. If it favors the side of the Siberian Husky breed, then my advice is maybe.

8. Are both parents KC registered?

9. Do you want to be a reputable breeder of quality Siberian Huskies, or do you not care, and being an unreputable backyard breeder of questionable quality Siberian Huskies is fine?

10. What do you know regarding the pedigree of each dog? Are there any genetic issues, underlying or not, within the pedigree that could impact the pups? What do you know regarding genetic markers, dominant and recessive genes? Are you familiar with the breed standard? Are both parents inline with that breed standard?

This is not game time. Breeding is very serious stuff, and should not be taken lightly. The breeder we acquired Zoya from, spends several thousand dollars when bringing a litter into the world. This includes prenatal care, food, supplements, vet bills, meds, welting supplies, post-natal care, and the list goes on.

Am I trying to discourage you from breeding? No, not at all. What I am doing is trying to discourage you from breeding irresponsibly. Go about it the right way, and be proud of yourself and the pups.