Pet dog chases mountain lion up a tree

aronoiiel

"Mountain lions have been known to eat things larger than Cody, according to the experts, but they say for some reason they tend to run from pet dogs."

Simple answer - in the mountain lion's world, where there is one dog/wolf, there are usually more. This is another predator, and even one dog who stands and fights can injure a cat, and to a predator injury is starvation.

Not to mention - cougar hunters commonly employ trained dogs to hunt with. These dogs are loud and aggressive, and the cougar's only escape is the safety of a tree. The hunter follows along behind and shoots it from its perch.

They hunt large prey through stalk and ambush. They won't tangle with an adult anything if they can't get the drop on it!

Still worth a try, if you can find a savvy kitty - especially under circumstances where you can work on keeping kitty safe from Diesel if things should go wrong... Tux certainly was quickly convinced that he didn't want to mess with Ty, who obviously understands English and was willing to bounce off Tux in a mock attack (when I'd told Tux I wouldn't let the cat attack him!), just to show that he could get away with attacking a dog! :rofl:

Poor cat, seems that the only injury he received was to his pride :rolleyes: I wonder how an African female lion would react in a similar situation ..... but then again the Rhodesian Ridgeback was bred to hunt lions too and they are fearless.

LOL! Probably "oh hello little snack-sized shepherd! How about you walk on over here and get in my mouth?"

I didn't know that about ridgebacks! Very cool!

Poor cat, seems that the only injury he received was to his pride :rolleyes: I wonder how an African female lion would react in a similar situation ..... but then again the Rhodesian Ridgeback was bred to hunt lions too and they are fearless.

LOL to true. I love the Ridgebacks they are amazing dogs :)

:jawdrop: wow! I know we humans breed all kind of dog breeds to hunt all kind of animals, but... Lions?! That's new :confused: Alright, Ridgebacks are in my fav breed list now :P