may have to seriously consider a career change :-(

Tams Teeko and Keeta

This is not a rant, so nobody panic i'm not about to get into trouble...but I really think I may have to consider a change of career...but need to be on the same money.

My ulcer seems to be back. It was really bad last june...i recovered over the summer holidays, had a rough Autumn term at school but it really has been getting loads better.

Now I think the stress has become subliminal! The ulcer seems to be back! I think my job may be making me ill and I don't quite know where to go from here!

Step 1 is to try really hard to get a lit agent but earning as an author...unlikely. I love parts of my job but I genuinely think the stress of keeping up with the paperwork is beginning to cause real issues. Don't know what to do. :-(

it's not always the kids that cause stress, I find the kids are ok but adults and paperwork definately do cause stress. Hope you can find a solution.

Definitely not the kids! The kids...especially my class this year...are absolutely amazing! I could literally spend hours talking to them and going to watch 2 of them in theatre shows...which I haven't actually done before.

I'm keeping up with the paperwork...i think it must always be in the back of my mind and I think it must be causing stress. Can't think of anything else! We're doing okay moneywise...the dogs are brilliantly..the OH is fantastic. The only thing that ever causes me worry is work. As soon as holiday break ends...i struggle to sleep and now...stomach pains are back. :-(

Ps: I am aware i'm ranting...apologies!

Talking from experience and believe me its not easy - but you have to make time for yourself, and then you an the family!

I took over as our head of assessment 4 years ago thinking that things were running smoothly, until we hit our first OfSTED 2 months after i'd taken on the role! I got slated as things weren't being done thier way! I spent the next 4 months implementing numerous new strategies, record keeping procedures, etc and basically slept about 2 hours a night. I thought my job was more important!!! The stress of it all nearly drove me over the edge.

My motto now is: what isn't done by the time I leave work at 5pm ( I get there at 7:30 am) stays undone! Wether it be marking, planning, etc! Some people don't like the way I work, but you have to a work / life balance!

Talking from experience and believe me its not easy - but you have to make time for yourself, and then you an the family!

I took over as our head of assessment 4 years ago thinking that things were running smoothly, until we hit our first OfSTED 2 months after i'd taken on the role! I got slated as things weren't being done thier way! I spent the next 4 months implementing numerous new strategies, record keeping procedures, etc and basically slept about 2 hours a night. I thought my job was more important!!! The stress of it all nearly drove me over the edge.

My motto now is: what isn't done by the time I leave work at 5pm ( I get there at 7:30 am) stays undone! Wether it be marking, planning, etc! Some people don't like the way I work, but you have to a work / life balance!

I agree your health is so much more important as is your family life.

Good luck to you hon. times are tough here in the states and I got laid off a few months back. I am considering going back to school for my PhD or possibly vet school. Guess that's a big career change considering I was working as a biologist for the last 4 years...

Big hugs to you. I hope you find some balance with your work and your life! :)

To be honest I think alot of teachers are feeling the same. I've been teaching for 10 years and I feel that every year there are more and more demands placed upon us.

Like yourself I love the students and they keep me going. It's so difficult to do find a balance between your work and life, and I totally agree with Alex, sometimes you just have to have a cut off point for your own sanity. I hope you're feeling better soon.:)

Louise

Hope you make the right decision for yourself. I work in education in a council dept and used to work term time only. I found that as soon as the holidays came round, I would be ill - bad colds etc. Like I didn't have time to be ill in work time lol.

Paperwork a nightmare.

Look after yourself...

Weird thing is that I don't feel as wound up or as stressed as I have since talking to my Head. I leave by 5:30pm every day to get home for my dogs and I rarely work on an evening because I have 2 huskies that require my time!

But...I'm guessing it must be constantly on the back of my mind as my sleep pattern totally messes up as soon as I'm back at school and now this.

Been to the walk in and got some omeprazole today...should help...but been told that I really have to see my GP and get more tests done. Booooo! (This is probably more stressful than work! I'm petrified of doctors!)

To be honest I think alot of teachers are feeling the same. I've been teaching for 10 years and I feel that every year there are more and more demands placed upon us.

Like yourself I love the students and they keep me going. It's so difficult to do find a balance between your work and life, and I totally agree with Alex, sometimes you just have to have a cut off point for your own sanity. I hope you're feeling better soon.:)

Louise

Oooohhh yes I am ALWAYS ill in the holidays. I actually jokingly told a parent last term that I'd get ill on the 19th of December....sadly I was right on cue and muddled through Toy Day in a hazeof tissues and snot! lol!

I hope you're feeling better soon :) health is more important than anything, tho.. It is not wrong if you decide to do a career change. I don't have any jobs just yet but I'm a student and I deal with "paperworks" every single day x_x it IS stressful >_< the friends and teachers are the only reason why I got up every morning.

Oh and Tam... You KNOW it is alright to rant ;) everyone needs a place to vent sometimes and that is why the steam room section was created :D don't apologize for ranting. We'll be glad if you're done ranting and feel a bit better anyways :up: