Shock Collars

Smokey

She escaped the other week , April fools day lol , she doesn't usually run out the house , n she came back when I called her

I don't intend 2 ever let her or the others offlead it's there for emergencies only , blaze isn't as easy 2 train as skyla as he isn't really interested in treats but he gets there with his training in time just takes abit longer than skyla does , I know I won't ever use a collar like this on them because I'd rather just put in hours n hours ov work with them for an emergency recall , rather then train them a recall 2 allow them offlead because they don't need 2 go offlead , hope that makes sense , I also have 100ft leads I use aswell so I recall them at different lengths , I have had skyla offlead before n she didn't leave my side lol . I just don't NEED 2 let them off

If I let bings offlead he will come when I call him , even off rabbits etc n if I drop his lead on walks he just stops till I pick it up again

It makes sense, everyone is different :)

I am not by any means saying you should let them off leash. But everyone is different and so are their dogs - what works for one will not work for all. There are dogs that have been raised to see many things outside of their handler as valuable, like other dogs, people, prey items etc. With these kinds of dogs, it doesn't matter what reward you have in your hand - they have too much value for anything else to care. Maybe they could be turned around strictly with using food or prey rewards from the owner, but it could take years of work to make them reliable. Many owners don't want to spend that time training a reliable recall.

Aside from that, I have no judgement whatsoever for people who choose to train a reliable recall using an e-collar as a method of preference. I don't know any other method that works as fast to the same level of reliability for such a huge range of dogs and owners. Low stim e-collar training like I use is incredibly effective while still humane and doesn't cause the dog pain. Of course, it's not for everyone. :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a video up on a husky group page on face book of Keira wearing a shock collar and I got nothing but abuse... people see the word "shock" and automatically assume you do nothing but treat the dog like dirt!

It's in human nature to judge, but it's taken to the next level in this category.

At least it is being discussed nicely here...

I just read a few comments, and one "they are designed to cause pain" ... how wrong can you be! ... My collar has a vibrate function which feels like massage when I do it on myself, this is all Keira needs to get her attention, and it only gets used once in a blue moon!

I go to a husky meet every sunday, all the dogs are on these so called pain causing shock collars... they dont look like they are in pain to me....

>>VIDEO<<

there are more humane ways to teach this surely?

I cannot recall Storm, not even on a 100ft lead.

Doesnt mean I will use a shock collar on him.

I also just wanted to add, everyone has different priorities for their dogs.

Some people don't care about having a dog that can recall or be off leash.

For me it is a priority to train not just for safety but because I like having a dog that recalls reliably. I don't want to have a dog that doesn't come when it's called. Some people don't care that their dogs don't recall or it's not a priority for them to train and that is fine - as long as their dog is never let off it's leash or never escapes and needs to be called in an emergency.

For me it is a priority to train not just for safety but because I like having a dog that recalls reliably. I don't want to have a dog that doesn't come when it's called. Some people don't care that their dogs don't recall or it's not a priority for them to train and that is fine - as long as their dog is never let off it's leash or never escapes and needs to be called in an emergency.

Its not that I havent tried and Im not being lazy and of course keeping storm safe is a priority.

but I cannot recall him, he will not listen, food, squeaky ball nothing.

and I will not use a e collar on him.

I wish I could recall him but I cant.

I am always super careful. our garden gate is locked so people cant open it and leave it open.

we have extra clips on the leads.

Bec, Keira wears a collar for the same reason, but regardless of the explanations I have given people don't budge from their seat of judgement

Its not that I havent tried and Im not being lazy and of course keeping storm safe is a priority.

but I cannot recall him, he will not listen, food, squeaky ball nothing.

and I will not use a e collar on him.

I wish I could recall him but I cant.

I am always super careful. our garden gate is locked so people cant open it and leave it open.

we have extra clips on the leads.

I didn't think you were being lazy - I am just saying everyone has different priorities.

I looked into e-collar training because I wanted to have a dog with a reliable recall. It's not the only way to train recall but I felt it was the best option for my dog.

If I was closer I'd show you how I use my collar and then you could decide after seeing how it works in person :)

Bec, Keira wears a collar for the same reason, but regardless of the explanations I have given people don't budge from their seat of judgement

Often I find the people that are most judgmental are people whose dogs have crap recall ;)

If they are used correctly and by someone who has had training/knowledge on how to use them correctly as a deterent to the dog rather than as pain I believe they are okay.

In the hands of someone who has not been educated or researched and uses them to cause pain I disagree.

Think they should only be sold by trainers as a last resort and the buyers have to attend class on how to use

It makes sense, everyone is different :)

I am not by any means saying you should let them off leash. But everyone is different and so are their dogs - what works for one will not work for all. There are dogs that have been raised to see many things outside of their handler as valuable, like other dogs, people, prey items etc. With these kinds of dogs, it doesn't matter what reward you have in your hand - they have too much value for anything else to care. Maybe they could be turned around strictly with using food or prey rewards from the owner, but it could take years of work to make them reliable. Many owners don't want to spend that time training a reliable recall.

Aside from that, I have no judgement whatsoever for people who choose to train a reliable recall using an e-collar as a method of preference. I don't know any other method that works as fast to the same level of reliability for such a huge range of dogs and owners. Low stim e-collar training like I use is incredibly effective while still humane and doesn't cause the dog pain. Of course, it's not for everyone. :)

Oh I agree completely , what works for one deffo won't work for another ,like with my 2 skyla will do anything for a treat but blaze will not , so some dogs will do great with a tool (used correctly) others won't and depending on our dogs will depend on what we need 2 use , I've had people sing the praises of the canny collar n say that this worked wonders for their dog when a harness didn't , but it never worked with blaze when a non pull harness did. It all comes down 2 the dog in the end

I don't let my girl off the lead , after all she is still a sibe ;-) however I let her drag a long line behind her , here is a vid ov me recall training her with the use off treats and praise only ,I've never used a shock collar and never will , because I don't have 2

Takes her a while at first because we had just got on the field n hadn't been for a while

cRgZayhZEcw

Yeah nice video but:Your dog is on lead:). My did the same on lead;). Try to get dogs somwhere where is few dogs,people etc.Give to them run free and try recall.We know now the results:).

This is way i have used SC.I use only signal(BEEEPPPPP) not shock,dont need.The signal works perfectly,Leila running free always where is possible . As long you do not try you do not know how your dog will be happy running free:). I know this- 30 min free is better like 2 hours on laed.I can not imagine my dog on a leash keep 99% time of his life:).My fears was big on the beginning but now i know SC is absolutly good specially if i dont use shock only signal. But of course, education dog is individual matter:).

Yeah nice video but:Your dog is on lead:). My did the same on lead;). Try to get dogs somwhere where is few dogs,people etc.Give to them run free and try recall.We know now the results:).

This is way i have used SC.I use only signal(BEEEPPPPP) not shock,dont need.The signal works perfectly,Leila running free always where is possible . As longyou do not tryyou do not knowhow yourdogwill behappyrunningfree:). I know this- 30 min free is better like 2 hours on laed.I can notimagine mydog on a leashkeep99% timeof his life:).My fears was big on the beginning but now i know SC is absolutly good specially if i dont use shock only signal. Butof course,educationdog is individual matter:).

they make 100ft leads for good reasons. no need to let them off.

mine dont go off and they are definetly not unhappy.

plus this is a shock collar debate not a offlead debate.

I think this debate may never end plus if if we took about SC we need some examples how this work;)Off lead is the best one.

This is way i have used SC.I use only signal(BEEEPPPPP) not shock,dont need.The signal works perfectly,Leila running free always where is possible . As long you do not try you do not know how your dog will be happy running free:). I know this- 30 min free is better like 2 hours on laed.I can not imagine my dog on a leash keep 99% time of his life:).My fears was big on the beginning but now i know SC is absolutly good specially if i dont use shock only signal. But of course, education dog is individual matter:).

Doesn't matter , on lead or off that's how she behaves , u can't see but there are other dogs , people and seagulls on that field , like the title says 'training' meaning I am slowly gradually training her a recall with distractions around , this was only my 2nd training attempt at recall with her , now correct me if I'm wrong but for a 2nd training session on a 2 year old sibe 2 respond like that is imo pretty awesome

I don't NEED 2 let her off lead , I have no desire too , after all like Lou says there are leads long enough 2 allow them freedom without loosing them ,imo with a husky no matter how trained they are there is always a risk

Doesn't matter , on lead or off that's how she behaves , u can't see but there are other dogs , people and seagulls on that field , like the title says 'training' meaning I am slowly gradually training her a recall with distractions around , this was only my 2nd training attempt at recall with her , now correct me if I'm wrong but for a 2nd training session on a 2 year old sibe 2 respond like that is imo pretty awesome

I don't NEED 2 let her off lead , I have no desire too , after all like Lou says there are leads long enough 2 allow them freedom without loosing them ,imo with a husky no matter how trained they are there is always a risk

:ditto:

While it's a shock collar debate, I think the whole offlead thing links to it which is why it's being brought up.

In the end, if the dogs are happy - whether with or without the shock collar - it's all good. Having the dogs happy is the point, isn't it?

I do have to agree Nik that 231q (LOL - Shi evidently wanted to say hi?)

I have to agree that the training you've done with Skyla is awesome so far. Mucho impressed. :)

While it's a shock collar debate, I think the whole offlead thing links to it which is why it's being brought up.

In the end, if the dogs are happy - whether with or without the shock collar - it's all good. Having the dogs happy is the point, isn't it?

its the people who say a dog isnt happy unless its offlead which annoys me.

but yes that is the point. happy and SAFE.

its the people who say a dog isnt happy unless its offlead which annoys me.

but yes that is the point. happy and SAFE.

I don't think anyone here is saying that though? I think it's more so that people want safety nets in place if their dogs do get off lead.

Although, I also see it from the other side of the fence that people probably get annoyed when it's suggested their dogs can't or shouldn't be off lead.

I would disagree with them I have NEVER used a shock collar on my dogs, I am totally against shock collars, they might work but I disagree with them why I disagree them? Well when you click that button you send a shock to your dog's neck and when that dog feels that he/she knows that you did it, and it will break up the forever bond between you too. That's in why I don't use them and never will. Just my advice;) .

totally agree with this. i think they should be banned, i would not use it on my kids and would not use it on my dog. i think they are cruel. my kids would be terrified of me and so would my dog. has anyone put this collar round their own throat and tried it by the way.

As long you do not try you do not know how your dog will be happy running free:). I know this- 30 min free is better like 2 hours on laed.I can not imagine my dog on a leash keep 99% time of his life:).

I know my dogs are VERY happy on leash rather then being off , 100ft leads are a wonderful invention

They do not need 2 b offlead 2 have a good fun run around

Cwuw28518ak

I know my dogs are VERY happy on leash rather then being off , 100ft leads are a wonderful invention

They do not need 2 b offlead 2 have a good fun run around

Cwuw28518ak

yup i agree there, we run ours on 100ft lead i would rather do this than than having to shock her into coming back to me.

Skyla may we have different opinions:). If Your dog is happy on lead thats really good. Im happy too.Mine is not this is way she,hi is off always when possible and i dont do them anything wrong if use BEEEPPP:) when need.

I think many people use bad SC(power) but we use only signal.;).If I find in the future to buy something that can only sound I'll be happy:)