Unintended animals dying from wolf cull

Michelle Melsom

I read this article wolf culling angers me its not the wolves its industry.

Warning, there is a picture at the top of the page that may be disturbing to some. Its from a news paper so its not horrible but still :P

http://www.theprovince.com/technology/Cullateral damage Unintended animals dying from wolf cull angers Alberta/6200842/story.html

Read the whole article and am utterly disgusted. They think they know whats "best" for everything under the sky, but instead, end up (in the words of Steve Irwin) Mucking it up worse by their meddling into the affairs of nature. Why can't they just leave them alone-jeez!

this is what I hate from the governments. They are ALWAYS ignorant :( come on take a look at the reality the wolf cull is doing no good thing =\ and IMO, no biologist would put a poison on the middle of the snow and expect only wolves would be attracted to eat it. And plus, why are they getting rid of wolves like us getting rid of mosquitos?? Wolves are an endangered animal too! :(

this is what I hate from the governments. They are ALWAYS ignorant :( come on take a look at the reality the wolf cull is doing no good thing =\ and IMO, no biologist would put a poison on the middle of the snow and expect only wolves would be attracted to eat it. And plus, why are they getting rid of wolves like us getting rid of mosquitos?? Wolves are an endangered animal too! :(

The truth is that in many states in the US they already started hunting them again. That's right, in 1995 wolves where reintroduced in the Yellowstone Park and have slowly grown into multiple packs across the states and now they're hunting them again. You know why they reintroduced them in the first place? Because they where all pretty much extinct in the US before that by -guess what?- people hunting them. People never learn... :banghead:

I read this article wolf culling angers me its not the wolves its industry.

Warning, there is a picture at the top of the page that may be disturbing to some. Its from a news paper so its not horrible but still :P

http://www.theprovince.com/technology/Cullateral damage Unintended animals dying from wolf cull angers Alberta/6200842/story.html

hi michelle ..is there anything that could be done to stop this dreadful slaughter of the magnificent animals ...i cant bring myself to view the paper cutting ...its saddening to think that in this day and age there are people who are still living in the dark ages over the wolf ...people could learn to be better human beings themselves ..if they did ther research on these animals ...would a world wide petion have any influence ...

The truth is that in many states in the US they already started hunting them again. That's right, in 1995 wolves where reintroduced in the Yellowstone Park and have slowly grown into multiple packs across the states and now they're hunting them again. You know why they reintroduced them in the first place? Because they where all pretty much extinct in the US before that by -guess what?- people hunting them. People never learn... :banghead:

:eek: :cry1:

hi michelle ..is there anything that could be done to stop this dreadful slaughter of the magnificent animals ...i cant bring myself to view the paper cutting ...its saddening to think that in this day and age there are people who are still living in the dark ages over the wolf ...people could learn to be better human beings themselves ..if they did ther research on these animals ...would a world wide petion have any influence ...

Here's a petition. On a different important matter though, the wolf hunt in Idaho:

Live Bait Okay to Kill Idaho Wolves

Idaho State Senator Jeff Siddoway introduced bill S1305 into the statehouse this week. The bill will allow slaughter of wolves found molesting livestock, by any means. This includes shooting wolves from motorized vehicles, powered parachutes, helicopters or fixed-wing planes. Rifles, pistols, shotguns, crossbows, night scopes, electronic calls — day or night.

In Idaho, livestock consists of mainly sheep and cattle. The bill specifically includes the use of live bait.It’s not just wolves in Idaho that are in danger; any living creature could become bait if bill S1305 is passed.

[...]

“You can basically go after them [wolves] by any means possible. And when I say get ‘em I mean kill ‘em” said Siddoway in The Idaho Statesman regarding S1305. He also exclaimed “Some might use dogs as bait.” The bill cites no protection for any creature used as live bait nor does it set limits on what is considered live bait.

http://www.care2.com/causes/live-bait-okay-to-kill-idaho-wolves.html

This is just a disgusting example of mis-management and essentially murder to placate major corporations. Nothing I've found so far on the entire Little Smoky campaign has said that the wolf population is excessive - they're just killing them because their prey source is the endangered caribou, who are losing territory thanks to the oilfields! It basically works out to killing 100 wolves to save 4 caribou calves.

http://albertawilderness.ca/issues/wildlife/wolves/archive/2011-06-11-article-senseless-slaughter-of-wolves

Here is the timeline for the project.

http://albertawilderness.ca/issues/wildlife/wolves/history

Here's a petition. On a different important matter though, the wolf hunt in Idaho:

Live Bait Okay to Kill Idaho Wolves

Idaho State Senator Jeff Siddoway introduced bill S1305 into the statehouse this week. The bill will allow slaughter of wolves found molesting livestock, by any means. This includes shooting wolves from motorized vehicles, powered parachutes, helicopters or fixed-wing planes. Rifles, pistols, shotguns, crossbows, night scopes, electronic calls  day or night.

In Idaho, livestock consists of mainly sheep and cattle. The bill specifically includes the use of live bait.It’s not just wolves in Idaho that are in danger; any living creature could become bait if bill S1305 is passed.

[...]

“You can basically go after them [wolves] by any means possible. And when I say get ‘em I mean kill ‘em†said Siddoway in The Idaho Statesman regarding S1305. He also exclaimed “Some might use dogs as bait.†The bill cites no protection for any creature used as live bait nor does it set limits on what is considered live bait.

http://www.care2.com/causes/live-bait-okay-to-kill-idaho-wolves.html

hi jos ...thank you for the info ..ive had a bit of touble with internet that is why ive only just seen it and replied to you you can also pm me if its easier ..i have to go out know so will go through this at my liesure when i get the chance ...once again thank you ...irene

They're just creating new problems with this nonsense. Have they considered culling other predators to help the caribou population, probably not because the first thing everyone thinks is that 'wolves' are the problem.

It was already pointed out, but habitat loss is what is really hurting the caribou. Not any sort of predator could do that amount of damage unless it was overpopulated...which the wolf is not.

And, of course the population has stabilized because they are taking predation by wolves out of the question. Less are killed by wolves...but I bet you that more caribou are killed by habitat loss/disease by the pollution than predators.

Just DON'T mess with nature! It'll find a way!

For example, I believe polar bears are now endangered. Because of global warming/climate change, they are forced to adapt. And guess what? They are adapting and the population is slowly recovering.

We can't save all species, it's a fact of life, and because we (humans) are still not practicing more sustainable ways to get energy/fuel, then other species on the Earth will suffer.

It's sad, but there are millions of species on the planet...we can't possibly save them all. They either have to adapt or go extinct, because at this point I think we (humans) aren't going to change our ways. It'll cost too much money and the oil companies won't let an alternative sustainable source take up the majority of the market.

EDIT: Here's more info on the story...

http://www.theprovince.com/technology/Saving+Alberta+caribou+herds+futile+study/6200881/story.html