Hello all! First time Husky owner here [=

chris661

Hi I'm Chris, the owner of 8 week old Mischa. She's a lovely Siberian husky with very chunky paws. She's going to be a big one!

I've got a few questions, as a first time owner, that I'd love some advice on.

Firstly, how much to feed her? She is 4.75kg and on Burgess Supadog puppy but it advises to give her only 60g a day over 4 meals but it looks like hardly any! I've been giving her around 60g per meal over 3 meals and she wolfs it down without feeling bloated but she's usually looking for food a few hours later..

Also, at 8 weeks how long should she sleep for during the night? She's getting plenty of play time and usually gets into her bed herself but she wakes up around 2-3 times a night apart from one night when she woke up once.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

Welcoe to the pack, i look forward to seeing pics of your furbaby... Its been a while since ive fed a 8 week old, but am sure there will be plenty of people on here who can give you the proper advice on the amount to feed them... 60g for the day i would def say is wrong though... You will find the forums great for any and all quetions you have as everyone is very friendly here.. But i do warn you that everyone is Picture crazy hahaha

As for sleeping through the night, when my 2 were 8-12 weeks old, I would wake them up every 2-3 hours (ncreasing slowly every couple days) to take them to go potty, as part of there potty training etc

hi and welcome id say 60g per day is definatly wrong it should be more like 60g per feed so about 240g per day.asfor sleeping diva would wake 2-3 times during night until she was about 13/14 weeks then it went down to 1/2 times and the at 4 months she stopped waking for toilet and slept all the way through hope that helps you xx

:welcome:

60 g of food per meal sounds more right but just be careful as if she's anything like my Brooke she will just eat and eat.. and while they are pups this just means that they poop a lot more and sometimes end up with diarrhoea. Siberians normally don't need much to eat :)

Dont forget the pics as we all love pics :click:

Welcome! Yeh...the 60g a day seems pretty off. But like others have said...do keep an eye on her poops (you'll soon find poop is a major topic of most of your daily conversations)...solid poop good...runny poop...possibly over feeding.

As for the wolfing down..i remember when doing my research that sibes are one of the dog breeds that can 'eat themselves into a disorder'. Some of them do not know when to stop! And when growing, they are so hungry all the time! Also...if it turns out she's got the runs from over feeding, she'll actually be hungry because food is going straight through and she'll lose weight.

Our little girl is a greedy guts! She could eat herself into a coma!!!

Have a peep round all the threads on crate training etc. You'll really find a crate useful as she gets older.

Pics...are a must!! Oh and welcome again!

Hi and WavingWelcome.gif!

I looked up some info on the Supadog food the other day, and it has a lot of grains in it, which will mean that she needs to eat more of it to get what she needs from it - and will correspondingly need to go out to empty herself more frequently! Siberians tend to do better on a food that is higher in meat, lower in grain - especially grains like wheat, corn, soy, and brewers rice. If you decide that it would be worth trying a food with higher meat protein in it, there are a number of threads in the Food & Diet section, or post a question, and we'll be glad to put our bit in! :P

I just recently went through a 2month battle with diarrhea with my 4 month old puppy. It actually turned out that we were over feeding her (we were following the recommendations on the back of the bag). I also found this website with a dog food calculator which turned out to be correct for the amount i am feeding my puppy. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

Akira is 4 months old and she eats 2 cups/day of Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream.

Thankyou very much for all your replies! I'll have a look at the dog feed calculator and see what's what.. The past few days I've been feeding her 3 meals a day of 70g and she seems okay on that, poo is fine. She's still looking for food but not as much. Here's some pics of her:

post-9324-13865257538803_thumb.jpg

One problem I am having is how much she likes to nip and bite. I've tried telling her off in a firm voice and giving her something else to chew on instead but she doesn't seem to be learning. I know it's early days yet (had her 1 week now) but does anyone have any tips?

post-7020-13586022171329_thumb.jpg

post-7020-13586022172364_thumb.jpg

post-7020-13586022174724_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum Chris- Beautiful pup-

You are doing the right thing to correct her biting, just stick with it. It will take some time.

Also, you could walk stop the play when she bites. Just walk away from her. She'll get the idea sooner or later.

:welcome: to the best site ever , Mischa is soo cute :D

and i agree with Roxy1(George) on the "stop the play when she bites. Just walk away from her. She'll get the idea sooner or later."

it was the same with my furbaby Corra but she stopped when she got older .. you can also try and grab a toy and put it in her mouth

as of Corra she was 5 weeks when she left with us cuz the owner was pregnant and had to sell them fast , so i used the mommy dog method

when the puppy starts to nip and bite too hard you firmly say 'ouch' in a high pitch voice repeat 1 more time if the puppy bites again .

and if it still continues put the puppy on its back and hold it in place until it calms down ( gives in )

luckly i didn't have to go that far with Corra . thats how the mother dog does it any way:P

Thankyou very much for all your replies! I'll have a look at the dog feed calculator and see what's what.. The past few days I've been feeding her 3 meals a day of 70g and she seems okay on that, poo is fine. She's still looking for food but not as much. Here's some pics of her:

[ATTACH=full]40161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]40165[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]40162[/ATTACH]

One problem I am having is how much she likes to nip and bite. I've tried telling her off in a firm voice and giving her something else to chew on instead but she doesn't seem to be learning. I know it's early days yet (had her 1 week now) but does anyone have any tips?

welcome ...to the big husky family ...she is adorable ...puppies are like babies each one will need different amounts of food to satisfy them ...its trial and error ...be patient with your little girl ...and enjoy her :)