Hello all! First time Husky owner here [=

chris661

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou very much for all your replies! I'll have a look at the dog feed calculator and see what's what.. The past few days I've been feeding her 3 meals a day of 70g and she seems okay on that, poo is fine. She's still looking for food but not as much. Here's some pics of her:

[ATTACH=full]40161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]40165[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]40162[/ATTACH]

One problem I am having is how much she likes to nip and bite. I've tried telling her off in a firm voice and giving her something else to chew on instead but she doesn't seem to be learning. I know it's early days yet (had her 1 week now) but does anyone have any tips?

Ah yes! Your baby reminds me very much of my Ivanna (now going on 11ys!). Attention span of a baby husky is about 2 seconds. Redirection will be the constant for at least another 2 months minimum. Reward profusely when good behavior is produced. Firm but gentle re-direction when "bad" behavior is produced. Be consistent in your training keep phrases very short one two words if possible. Think exactly what you want the Husky to know and figure the shortest easiest way to get the point across to her in short, be very concrete in your training or she'll lose interest fast and you will lose your sanity quickly. Big reward for good behavior is very important. Helps to reinforce the good behavior. Spend as much time as you can with her. Socialization is absolutely key to successful Husky handling. Take alook around this site for some great instruction and suggestions on behavior and training. Keep asking questions. One or the other of us will either have the answer or find it or let you know of places to look for it.

Welcome!! May you and your new baby grow young together for many happy healthy and fun-filled years! All the Best! :bananalama: :welcome5: :bananalama::cheerleader:

Carmen OFM

Hi Chris and Mischa and Welcome to the best forum you're ever going to find anywhere! I don't believe that no one has mentioned location and map so I will.

Since we're scattered all across the world and some of the questions and answers are going to depend on where you live, it helps a lot if you fill out the location item in the profile and also pin yourself to the member map at http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/memberMap/

Again, ask whatever you want, we have a great group of people here and we'll try to answer just about anything you want to ask.

(( before anyone asks, yes, I have it canned so I can grab it when I catch a newbie! :) ))