Studding - Information Sources

CourtJester

I am curious if anyone knows any good information sources about studding, I am going to ask my Vet for information and I have about a year before my fellow can be used for studding but I want to learn as much as I can before that time.

I am a big beliver in research and infromation gathering, Be prepared and all ;)

Are there any decent books out there?

What are your experiences ?

Clarification of Tests? Hip and eye tests etc...

Thanks in advance :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dogs shouldnt be bred from younger then years old - 3 to 4 years ideally

any reason WHY you want to stud your pup out?

never studded my dogs out or bred my girl - dont want to due to the amount of sibes in rescue so cant help much however i know an ideal hip/eye score is around 7 and under and that YOU have to be prepared to help out if the bitches owner needs it - if a pup needs taking back in the bitches owner cant do it you should - its not just letting a male have his way n thats the end of it - sum1 else will be able to give u more insight to what i can tho

Why do you want to stud out your dog? You'll find that many on this forum are against breeding (and for good reason; there's too many huskies out there already in the pound!).

How old is your dog now? Generally, they shouldn't be bred until they are ATLEAST 2 years old...though older is ideal.

I don't have any experience in this, but sutsibe is a breeder so she should tell you what you need to know.

dogs shouldnt be bred from younger then years old - 3 to 4 years ideally

any reason WHY you want to stud your pup out?

never studded my dogs out or bred my girl - dont want to due to the amount of sibes in rescue so cant help much however i know an ideal hip/eye score is around 7 and under and that YOU have to be prepared to help out if the bitches owner needs it - if a pup needs taking back in the bitches owner cant do it you should - its not just letting a male have his way n thats the end of it - sum1 else will be able to give u more insight to what i can tho

My vet said 1.5 - 2 years for breeding.

I am 100 % prepared to help out thus information gathering, I believe it's natural that is why I would like to Stud my dog.

Why do you want to stud out your dog? You'll find that many on this forum are against breeding (and for good reason; there's too many huskies out there already in the pound!).

How old is your dog now? Generally, they shouldn't be bred until they are ATLEAST 2 years old...though older is ideal.

I don't have any experience in this, but sutsibe is a breeder so she should tell you what you need to know.

I wont stud him for a couple of years, moreover I am only going to stud him once.

So...let me get this straight, the only reason why you want to stud him is because it's natural?

If we can't sway you otherwise, then I'd recommend waiting for sutsibe to respond.

You'll want to make sure the dam (the bitch) has a great/excellent hip and eye score as well...or the pups might get her genetic problems! Also, they both should have excellent temperaments and conform to the breed standard

So...let me get this straight, the only reason why you want to stud him is because it's natural?

If we can't sway you otherwise, then I'd recommend waiting for sutsibe to respond.

You'll want to make sure the dam (the bitch) has a great/excellent hip and eye score as well...or the pups might get her genetic problems! Also, they both should have excellent temperaments and conform to the breed standard

Exactly that just because it's natural for an animal to breed even once. To be honest I don't think it's far for you to judge me much like you seem to be just because I believe in such a thing. you seem to have a very condescending way of typing things.

Exactly that just because it's natural for an animal to breed even once. To be honest I don't think it's far for you to judge me much like you seem to be just because I believe in such a thing. you seem to have a very condescending way of typing things.

a breeder - ie you - using your dog for studd will be open to a lot of judgmental people - they will judge you and your dog, fact of life when it comes to breeding i'm afraid

a breeder should be judged for why they want to do it - when / if you do decide to studd him, you should expect to be judged and for your dog to be judged also, fact of life in the breeding circle i'm afraid

a breeder - ie you - using your dog for studd will be open to a lot of judgmental people - they will judge you and your dog, fact of life when it comes to breeding i'm afraid

Sorry, I have never seen the point in replying to a thread if your just going to insult the person in it seems pointless and a bit trollish, maybe I am just taking it to personally.

i dont agree sorry , i think my staffy might have been bred from but that was before we got him - my sibe Blaze was neutered n not studded out and my girl is getting spayed on friday - she has never been bred from and never will b - i belive its actually much worse for a dog to be bred from and then not be able 2 do it again then never be allowed to be bred at all , if uve never had sex - you wont miss it - but imagine only ever being allowed to have sex once n NEVER again - Bings my staffy gets VERY stressed out when Skyla is in season as he wants to mate with her but cant - its horrible to see how stressed out he gets from it

i dont agree sorry , i think my staffy might have been bred from but that was before we got him - my sibe Blaze was neutered n not studded out and my girl is getting spayed on friday - she has never been bred from and never will b - i belive its actually much worse for a dog to be bred from and then not be able 2 do it again then never be allowed to be bred at all , if uve never had sex - you wont miss it - but imagine only ever being allowed to have sex once n NEVER again - Bings my staffy gets VERY stressed out when Skyla is in season as he wants to mate with her but cant - its horrible to see how stressed out he gets from it

You can fix a dog so they can still have sex but can't have pups, I have done it with my ferrets so that he can mate with my female and get her out of season. I think you would miss sex if you never had it as your natural instincts is to do it.

You can fix a dog so they can still have sex but can't have pups, I have done it with my ferrets so that he can mate with my female and get her out of season. I think you would miss sex if you never had it as your natural instincts is to do it.

i fix my dogs so they dont have the desire to mate and add to all the dogs in the world already far far to many in rescues as it is

ud miss it more if u had it once n never again ;)

like i said when my girls in season its really stresses my male out cuz he tries to mate with her but cant - and its horrible to see how stressed out he gets from just being able 2 smell her in season :(

If this was said to someone in a real life situation if would essential be you saying 'your an idiot then if you believe that' I mean I may be wrong but it's how it comes across.

to be honest, it's a valid question and if the only reason to stud him is because it's natural, then is it really a good thing to be doing?

That'll help me in my decision about Czar, too. I don't want him to be stressed like Bings is :( We were thinking to Have a pup from Czar after finding a perfect genetic match hips/eyes scored and helping out the breeder with the pups as well. We were thinking of it to keep the breed standard going. He's far too young, and we have a long time before thinking of this. Before then, we will most likely have a young rescue (not threatening to Czar, as an older one could cause strife due to heirarchy issues) or another pup from a breeder. This whole issue is a hotbed for controversy as some would say not to breed if you're not showing them in dog shows or racing them(and we are not going to be involved in either most likely), but there are those better suited to answer your question than I.

That'll help me in my decision about Czar, too. I don't want him to be stressed like Bings is :( We were thinking to Have a pup from Czar after finding a perfect genetic match hips/eyes scored and helping out the breeder with the pups as well. We were thinking of it to keep the breed standard going. He's far too young, and we have a long time before thinking of this. Before then, we will most likely have a young rescue (not threatening to Czar, as an older one could cause strife due to heirarchy issues) or another pup from a breeder. This whole issue is a hotbed for controversy as some would say not to breed if you're not showing them in dog shows or racing them, but there are those better suited to answer your question than I.

Blaze doesnt seem as bothered as Bings but because we dont know bings background i think he might have been bred from before we got him which is why - now hes neutered he gets stressed out because he cant breed

Well is there a 'Good' reason to stud a dog, I mean most people do it for profit which I 100% disagree with. all comes down too opinions.

i agree, there's a good reason to breed if there's a genuine reason IE bettering the breed or to add to your own pack but totally agree with you about just doing it for money IMO that's so so wrong

Poor Bings:( Glad you rescued the fella, tho. We checked around our area, and the hips are not too bad in price to have checked, but the eyes have to be done by an opthamologist, and in our area at least, there's no one close and its more expensive, but whether we studd him or not, we're going through the tests to be sure of his health, we have to go to the famous Purdue University to get his eyes done-hope everything turns out excellent in his tests

Well is there a 'Good' reason to stud a dog, I mean most people do it for profit which I 100% disagree with. all comes down too opinions.

Exactly, like you have said yourself "it all comes down to opinions". No one is judging, insulting or calling you an idiot, it's just there opinions. It's hard when your reading typed discussions as they can be taken the wrong way, just like mobile phone texts as well. :)