Studding - Information Sources

CourtJester

I both agree and disagree with you on this... There are many judges out there that do not, in my opinion, know nearly as much as they ought to know about judging Siberians, and you see them at all-breed dog shows, in particular. They do not know or understand what proper movement in a Siberian is, nor how important it is - and they don't care! At Siberian Specialties (shows just for Siberians - they exist for other breeds, as well), however, I feel that judges are more often selected who are Siberian breeders, or who otherwise have a good understanding of proper structure and movement, and the reasons for the breed needing to have them. There have been a number of kennels in the US where dogs have been quite successful both in the ring and on the trail... Something of which I'm very proud!

It's moreso the non Specialties that I meant really. As you said, the more... I'll say "public" shows have judges who don't know what a real quality Siberian is and don't understand much about movement or anything. I agree that they don't care, and that is where the problem is. They "read" the standard, and might understand it, but the Standard is on paper and reality is different. "Seeing is believing" I guess.

But the Specialties are as you said, the judges are Siberian people and know more about them and how they should move, etc. That said, I still don't think the show ring is the only place a dog should be judge as "qualifying" to be bred or not, but one part of a whole. A dog may look great and all in the ring, but might be horrible in harness. To me if a dog can't do what it was bred originally to do, then it shouldn't be bred at all. Conformation just gives the physical "okay" as it is per standard. But take a GSD; if in the show ring it places well, but can't even pass it's Temperament test, it's not a good representation of the breed.

I guess I've just heard too much from people about "show snobs" to trust conformation shows.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But the Specialties are as you said, the judges are Siberian people and know more about them and how they should move, etc. That said, I still don't think the show ring is the only place a dog should be judge as "qualifying" to be bred or not, but one part of a whole. A dog may look great and all in the ring, but might be horrible in harness. To me if a dog can't do what it was bred originally to do, then it shouldn't be bred at all. Conformation just gives the physical "okay" as it is per standard. But take a GSD; if in the show ring it places well, but can't even pass it's Temperament test, it's not a good representation of the breed.

I guess I've just heard too much from people about "show snobs" to trust conformation shows.

I agree that a dog should be proven on the trail, but practically speaking, that can be quite difficult, particularly for those living in southern cities! Even living in the Chicago area when I was going to races, it was tough! We'd have to drive a minimum of 6-10 hours to get to a race, either taking Friday off or leaving after work was done, often getting to the race site late Friday night or even shortly before the start of a race on Saturday. Leaving right after Sunday's race and driving home was brutal enough that the group I would go with would go to a few specific races a year, and make it a 3 or 4 day weekend! While I know a number of breeders who had no desire to run their dogs (yep, some were very snobby!), there are others who simply don't have the means to do so... It's a time, money, and labor-intensive thing to do!

I agree that a dog should be proven on the trail, but practically speaking, that can be quite difficult, particularly for those living in southern cities! Even living in the Chicago area when I was going to races, it was tough! We'd have to drive a minimum of 6-10 hours to get to a race, either taking Friday off or leaving after work was done, often getting to the race site late Friday night or even shortly before the start of a race on Saturday. Leaving right after Sunday's race and driving home was brutal enough that the group I would go with would go to a few specific races a year, and make it a 3 or 4 day weekend! While I know a number of breeders who had no desire to run their dogs (yep, some were very snobby!), there are others who simply don't have the means to do so... It's a time, money, and labor-intensive thing to do!

There's always going to be exceptions and allowances made for them. I don't mean to belittle those who can't have their dogs do what the breed was meant to. I know it's not always practical, especially nowadays with things how they are. There'll probably be even less dogs doing what they were bred to do than ever before because of things. But I still think it should be part of the deal if you're going to breed. If you've put the time in to get the dog and plan to breed, then you should be willing to prove your dog is worthy of being bred to by having it able to do the job it was bred to. That doesn't mean, for Sibes, going out and doing races every weekend in the winter; if the dog can get in harness, work with the team and pull for more than a reasonable set distance and do that well, then that's just another check in the box for acceptable.

But that's just my personal feelings on it.

We really like what everyone is saying and it just makes total sense to everyone's comments. Our hat is off to you.

We have a friend who runs Ripanco Kennels in Vermont, she has been a Siberian breeder for 30 years and has some of the best lineage of New England. I had just spoke to her a few weeks ago because we will be looking for a pup in the near future. We still have Kayak and that is how it will be for now, she had replied "I have stopped breeding because there are way to many Siberians out there that are in need of rescue and I don't want to add to that pool" and those are her true words. Disappointed? Yes. But so understood. But on top of wanting a pup, we too would like to rescue a few. It is natural for people to breed also, but we don't think every human should.

That is EXACTLY what the breeder of my Malakai said when I first went to view their pups! They had been breeding for over 8 years, and he was so saddened by the amount of huskies being advertised and in rescues that he just said enough was enough. Makes you stop and think if even the established breeders are giving up!

Hello. I haven't read all the replies so I am sorry if this has already been mentioned...but as with breeding a female, for a male there are risks. Granted, generally not as serious as a female but still risks.

Being used as a stud, as Nix mentioned, can impact their temperament later on...put it this way, if you only ever got to do the business once ...thoroughly enjoyed it...and then you were never allowed to touch a member of the opposite sex again...how frustrated would you feel?

Theere is a also a risk of being bitten. Yes the female needs to be receptive but receptive or not....they don't always want it and can be aggressive towards the male.

There is also risk of injury when the dogs are tied. I've no doubt you'll do your research and do everything you can to avoid this but it is still a possibility.

You also won't have as much control over where the pups go. Personally this...and the amount in rescue...was my biggest reason for not letting the OH stud ours. If I was going to be responsible for the creation of pups...i'd want to know exactly where they were going.

As well as all of this....another reason I used when I was getting my boy done (i had huge fights with the future in laws but I refused to back down)....a teenage husky is hard work....a sexually charged, male teenage husky who can smell a bitch in heat several miles away....eeek.

I don't know your family life but I want a family and that was not something I wanted around my potential future children.

I know not all of the responses you've had are what you want to hear but I really hope if you doo decide to breed that you ask for questions and advice here still.

I started a war :o, I will give that site a read thanks :D

LOL no you didn't :) these people are not arguing. They are not fighting each other. They are simply discussing about this one matter. The thread got so long because everyone have a different point of view :) And I must say; this thread is very interesting and informative! You have created yet another mini guidebook here ;) please let us know what is your final decision about studding btw..