Studding - Information Sources

CourtJester

Poor Bings:( Glad you rescued the fella, tho. We checked around our area, and the hips are not too bad in price to have checked, but the eyes have to be done by an opthamologist, and in our area at least, there's no one close and its more expensive, but whether we studd him or not, we're going through the tests to be sure of his health, we have to go to the famous Purdue University to get his eyes done-hope everything turns out excellent in his tests

another reason we are getting Skyla done so he doesnt have 2 deal with the stress

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leo, can I just say, you have asked for information & opinions & that is what you're getting, whether you agree with what is being posted or not.

When we got our first husky, she was 10 weeks old. She is from a decent breeder, KC registered, I still see both parents & back then (6yrs ago) saw their hip & eye scores & they were perfect. I was foolishly told it is better for a female to have at least one litter before being speyed. I held on to that belief "planning" on breeding her for one litter around the age of 2 1/2 yrs.

It was around that time we met someone who races their dogs, they have a team of something like 15 huskies. He wanted to breed one of his dogs with our girl, keep our girl during whelping & while the pups were being weaned, when they would buy ALL the pups off us to have them race with their team when they were old enough! How good was that? A recognised, reputable breeder & racer wanted our girl to produce the next generation of his team. Can you imagine how gutted he was to hear we'd gone & got her fixed?? Why?? Because we learnt from other people that it was a myth, having one litter. They are dogs. They do not know mating (not sex!) is a natural instinct. Most hump for dominance, not breeding purposes.

So while some people on here are getting a little edgy with their replies, they are trying to help you see the bigger picture. If you have got show or racing homes lined up for your pups, sought out a suitable female to mate him with, are prepared to be out of pocket for vets fees & what can sometimes go wrong with the pregnancy & are doing it for the breed & not your back pocket, then fair do's & good luck, I hope you get all the advice you require.

If not, PLEASE remember, a lot of us help with husky rescues, moreover, a lot of us OWN rescued dogs that people thought would be a good idea to have litters from or are the result of litters that have not gone to the best places.

Finally, please be prepared to listen to advice, if you don't like a reply, do me a BIG favour?? Don't answer it making things worse all round, report the post (at the bottom of the offending post in question)& let staff deal with it, the last thing we want is a slanging match

I don't see anything wrong with breeding your dog, as long as it is done in a responsible manner, i.e. eye and hip tests, health history of the ancestors of both the bitch and the stud (you might say that this is unnecessary, since you already do health testing, but you really need to know whether there have been other diseases in their lines that could make them unsuitable for breeding), making sure that both the dogs have great temperaments and that there isn't a history of aggression in their lines. Finally, the dogs should have proven themselves worthy of being bred. Which means either showing them in the ring (proper conformation) or having a very good track record of working in the harness.

I don't think the reason for studding your dog would be that it is natural - dogs are not humans and as such, they don't want to have babies per se like humans do. All they feel is instinct when the bitch is in heat, which is basically just hormones. In any case, my point is that having puppies is not something that really benefits either the stud or the bitch.

Obviously, this is just my opinion on the matter, but I really feel that you should only breed your dog to improve the breed - and I know how much everybody loves their own dogs and to everybody, their dog is the perfect dog. However, not all dogs are worthy of being bred and realistically speaking, they would not better the breed, in fact to the contrary, despite what us, owners, like to believe. So that is why a dog shouldn't be bred just because it is natural, in my opinion.

We really like what everyone is saying and it just makes total sense to everyone's comments. Our hat is off to you.

We have a friend who runs Ripanco Kennels in Vermont, she has been a Siberian breeder for 30 years and has some of the best lineage of New England. I had just spoke to her a few weeks ago because we will be looking for a pup in the near future. We still have Kayak and that is how it will be for now, she had replied "I have stopped breeding because there are way to many Siberians out there that are in need of rescue and I don't want to add to that pool" and those are her true words. Disappointed? Yes. But so understood. But on top of wanting a pup, we too would like to rescue a few. It is natural for people to breed also, but we don't think every human should.

I don't see anything wrong with breeding your dog, as long as it is done in a responsible manner, i.e. eye and hip tests, health history of the ancestors of both the bitch and the stud (you might say that this is unnecessary, since you already do health testing, but you really need to know whether there have been other diseases in their lines that could make them unsuitable for breeding), making sure that both the dogs have great temperaments and that there isn't a history of aggression in their lines. Finally, the dogs should have proven themselves worthy of being bred. Which means either showing them in the ring (proper conformation) or having a very good track record of working in the harness.

I don't think the reason for studding your dog would be that it is natural - dogs are not humans and as such, they don't want to have babies per se like humans do. All they feel is instinct when the bitch is in heat, which is basically just hormones. In any case, my point is that having puppies is not something that really benefits either the stud or the bitch.

Obviously, this is just my opinion on the matter, but I really feel that you should only breed your dog to improve the breed - and I know how much everybody loves their own dogs and to everybody, their dog is the perfect dog. However, not all dogs are worthy of being bred and realistically speaking, they would not better the breed, in fact to the contrary, despite what us, owners, like to believe. So that is why a dog shouldn't be bred just because it is natural, in my opinion.

I agree with everything except this; Finally, the dogs should have proven themselves worthy of being bred. Which means either showing them in the ring (proper conformation) or having a very good track record of working in the harness. I find this to be an Elitist attitude, and very prevalent amongst some pompous dog show exhibitors. Not saying that you are at all, please don't take it that way, but what ever happened to having a great quality Sibe as a pet, they COULD be shown-but the owners have chosen not to. As a pet of high quality after passing these tests, it does justice to the breed standard in bettering the breed if all measures have been taken and there are suitable matches, great results from the hip/eye, temperament etc have been met .

We really like what everyone is saying and it just makes total sense to everyone's comments. Our hat is off to you.

We have a friend who runs Ripanco Kennels in Vermont, she has been a Siberian breeder for 30 years and has some of the best lineage of New England. I had just spoke to her a few weeks ago because we will be looking for a pup in the near future. We still have Kayak and that is how it will be for now, she had replied "I have stopped breeding because there are way to many Siberians out there that are in need of rescue and I don't want to add to that pool" and those are her true words. Disappointed? Yes. But so understood. But on top of wanting a pup, we too would like to rescue a few. It is natural for people to breed also, but we don't think every human should.

We've rescued all our lives with two exceptions, one Red Heeler that lived to be almost 16-got him from a breeder in AZ and our current Czar Demon who we got from a breeder, completely agree though, we'd love to rescue a Siberian Husky sometime-so sad seeing any without a home and I'd be open to adopting, but there are situations to think about as well. We'd have ot adopt young because if not, there will be trouble with Czar and that dog unless its younger, second, due to the prey drive of the Sibe, we'd have to raise it from young not to eat our cats which we already have and aren't going to get rid of. We're responsible to the cats we've rescued also to not be put in harms way by us getting an older dog. But our case isn't everyone's

I agree with everything except this; Finally, the dogs should have proven themselves worthy of being bred. Which means either showing them in the ring (proper conformation) or having a very good track record of working in the harness. I find this to be an Elitist attitude, and very prevalent amongst some pompous dog show exhibitors. Not saying that you are at all, please don't take it that way, but what ever happened to having a great quality Sibe as a pet, they COULD be shown-but the owners have chosen not to. As a pet of high quality after passing these tests, it does justice to the breed standard in bettering the breed if all measures have been taken and there are suitable matches, great results from the hip/eye, temperament etc have been met .

Yes, but how do you know that you have a great quality dog? I personally don't think I would be able to tell whether my dog is great quality or not (well, I can tell that mine is definitely not great quality, but what if it were the other way round?) so that's why I am saying the owner may or may not be qualified to judge whether the dog is quality or not.

I mean, I am not saying that you should make a career out of showing or that it should become a life purpose... but it can be an indicator of the dog's quality for those that cannot judge that themselves.

I don't think that all dogs to be bred need to be shown, but it shouldn't be just up the owner to say whether they have a great dog or not.

His parents have excellent eye/hip scores and he is from good lines-and by that I'm not saying he's better than anyone else's-I'd never do that, I'm all against arrogance, but he is from great lines and his parents tested great-just waiting for his tests, but the lad is just too young right now to be tested. You also should know what you are looking for when picking a pup from a litter http://www.oomachuk.com/purchase_guide.html#CHOOSING%20A%20PUPPY

I get what you are saying and I am not saying that he is not a good stud dog, but even if he is from great lines, it doesn't guarantee anything, as genetics always have a degree of unpredictability (though it makes it very likely that he is a good specimen of the breed). Of course, dog shows have their flaws and problems and it may be that dogs that have won prizes in shows look in fact horrendous or are a very poor representations of the breed.

I don't regard it as something elitist as here, for example, you cannot breed your dog (under registration) unless he/she has participated in at least two CACIB dog shows and obtained acceptable results, from different referees.

I'm of two minds on the breeding issue.

First, to clarify; though Shila's in heat now, once she's out and the vet says it's good, I'm getting her fixed. I am also getting Orion done after he's a year to a year and a half. I'm not breeding them for several reasons. The main ones being there are enough dogs of Orion's pedigree out there, including his sibs, that it's not needed. Same for Shila. As well, breeding the two of them is completely out of the questions; to me they are too closely related (2nd cousins which isn't horrible but I'm particular when it comes to pedigrees and such). Plus, I can't do the whole puppy thing right now, just not in the time/space/omney for it. And... well, there's a ton more reasons.

That being said, I do want to have my own litter someday. Again, there's reasons for it. I will, definitely, be getting eye and hip scores as well as complete health checks before any breeding would be done. But I would breed to better the breed, not just because. And if I did not share the studding/breeding with someone, then all pups born would be staying with me. I'm of the belief that, in a "in house" breeding of any kind, if you can afford to let the animals do the deed, then it's up to you to care for them. Unless I'm splitting a litter, as I said, in which case my co-breeder will be picked very carefully before I agree to anything, and a contract worked out between us. As well, any dog I breed will have to pass my own personal tests for it, not just your standard health stuff. All my dogs will have to have, or at least have tried to get, their CGC. My dogs - being siberians - need to know how to work in harness. My dogs will also, if possible, be worked in/trained for competition in something other than sledding, because I don't intend to be a "pro" kennel where all I do is sled. However if that changes and I do reach some sort of competitive level, then my dogs at least have to have their SD titles before I consider breeding them. Note these are my breedable dogs, not the dogs that will be spayed/neutered.

I know a lot of people are against people breeding, and I understand why. Most times I'm against breeding, because most people breed for the wrong reasons; mainly they think they can get cash out of it.

That said, I've a friend in Kentucky whose dream is to have a Rough Collie kennel and to breed her own dogs. She's had collies of her own, she knows the breed inside and out and absolutely loves them. But she, too, also knows the score; breed to better the dogs, not your pocket. This is the way it should be.

The whole breeding issue is scary because it is such a hotbed topic, and there are so many dogs in rescues and elsewhere that need homes. But the fact is there are always going to be dogs in rescues, and there are always going to be people who breed for whatever reason. For those that do breed, we, as dog lovers, I think should focus on getting those who do breed to be ETHICAL breeders, so we don't add to the problem of unwanted dogs.

As to the OP, if you do plan to breed your dog, wait until they're older, not just for their sake, but yours. It'll give you time to be really, really sure you want to do this and are prepared for the consequences. Plus, if something happens - and ethically you and your breeding partner will share costs - you'll have that much more saved up to help out. Health tests are a must - hip, eye, etc - and if you can, spend that extra time developing your dog. Get it its Canine Good Citizen or equivalent, train it in obedience, maybe get it trained as a therapy dog, or agility or disc or something. The more you do with your dog to show his worth, the better a breeding prospect he'll be because he's now got proof he's more than just a "at home" dog. Just my opinion though.

Yes, but how do you know that you have a great quality dog? I personally don't think I would be able to tell whether my dog is great quality or not (well, I can tell that mine is definitely not great quality, but what if it were the other way round?) so that's why I am saying the owner may or may not be qualified to judge whether the dog is quality or not.

I mean, I am not saying that you should make a career out of showing or that it should become a life purpose... but it can be an indicator of the dog's quality for those that cannot judge that themselves.

I don't think that all dogs to be bred need to be shown, but it shouldn't be just up the owner to say whether they have a great dog or not.

I can 100% agree with that statement. We all have our "parent" eyes on for our fur-kids. To us they are flawless, perfect specimens of the breed, to have someone with an eye for the breed, not just for our wonderful pets and their stellar personalities, to unbiasedly tell you if your dog meets breed standard is not only rewarding but you can with confidence say it was not just my opinion that my dog is a breedable candidate. It also can give you an idea of your dog's weaknesses so you can appropriately choose a mate to help fix those weaknesses or at minimum not add to the same issues.

I also believe that an extensive researching of your lineage is warranted. Do you know what your lineage is consistent in? What maybe has cropped up from time to time? Are there any disorders further back to be aware of? All of these things to be considered before deciding it's time to go boy meets girl.

Before I got into showing, even before I really got into this breed, I had my first Siberian. A male, black and white, blue eyes. He's got a great personality and I thought that there was no way he should be neutered, he is just too stellar of a fine dog not to breed. I searched for a year, found a nice female. Red white, blue eyes, short racing coat. Thought she'd make some fine puppies someday, so we brought her home. Then I started researching, that's what got me to show for my first time...our female did fine until she was about 2 years old when she developed weak pasturns, our male was pointed out to be too small, too lean/long, high set snapped tail, eyes too round....the whole idea of breeding had to be tossed. By this time I loved my dogs there is no doubt, but I loved this breed so much more than to throw puppies of poorer quality into the mix.

LOL - yeah, this topic tends to do that with people. :D

I think it's nice everybody stayed civil, so it's not that much of a war - more like a healthy debate. Everybody has different opinions and you can't really make everyone agree. But it's always interesting to see what others think nonetheless and so far, this thread is a really good source of information for anyone considering breeding.

I think it's nice everybody stayed civil, so it's not that much of a war - more like a healthy debate. Everybody has different opinions and you can't really make everyone agree. But it's always interesting to see what others think nonetheless and so far, this thread is a really good source of information for anyone considering breeding.

I'm actually glad it's staying civil really. Any other time I've seen the topic come up elsewhere, it is a literal war, no joking with that at all. I'd rather the healthy debate than the "RAWR" that can go on.

I can 100% agree with that statement. We all have our "parent" eyes on for our fur-kids. To us they are flawless, perfect specimens of the breed, to have someone with an eye for the breed, not just for our wonderful pets and their stellar personalities, to unbiasedly tell you if your dog meets breed standard is not only rewarding but you can with confidence say it was not just my opinion that my dog is a breedable candidate. It also can give you an idea of your dog's weaknesses so you can appropriately choose a mate to help fix those weaknesses or at minimum not add to the same issues.

I also believe that an extensive researching of your lineage is warranted. Do you know what your lineage is consistent in? What maybe has cropped up from time to time? Are there any disorders further back to be aware of? All of these things to be considered before deciding it's time to go boy meets girl.

Before I got into showing, even before I really got into this breed, I had my first Siberian. A male, black and white, blue eyes. He's got a great personality and I thought that there was no way he should be neutered, he is just too stellar of a fine dog not to breed. I searched for a year, found a nice female. Red white, blue eyes, short racing coat. Thought she'd make some fine puppies someday, so we brought her home. Then I started researching, that's what got me to show for my first time...our female did fine until she was about 2 years old when she developed weak pasturns, our male was pointed out to be too small, too lean/long, high set snapped tail, eyes too round....the whole idea of breeding had to be tossed. By this time I loved my dogs there is no doubt, but I loved this breed so much more than to throw puppies of poorer quality into the mix.

I don't think everyone has parent eyes. I don't. Yes I love my dogs and think they're gorgeous and perfect, but I'm also realistic about them and I know their flaws, too. With them being young still, those flaws may straighten out, but they might not, only time will tell. I think more people need to start thinking like this though - ie thinking with common sense - than with their heart.

I do agree about the pedigree research. In my case, Seppalas are bottleneck and to me, we need a bit more in the way of new blood whether it comes from working show lines or another acceptable source. But that's just my opinion on it.

With all respect, I don't approve of conformation shows as the be all standard to judge a dog by. It should be only one of many things that prove a good dog, especially a working type dog. For example I've a friend with a GSD. This is what she said to me when discussing attitudes you'll find in the breeding/showing world.

This is why I'm starting so much to hate dog people. We can't just respect the dog for what it is anymore. We have to start breaking down purity and all that other BS to place value on dogs THAT DON'T EVEN BELONG TO US HALF THE TIME.

I get the same crap about my dog. The American-line/German-line rift is getting more and more disgusting by the day. Both camps believe the same crap about the other side's dogs. American-line enthusiasts think our dogs are ill-tempered brutes because they do bitework and we're just essentially training them to be more efficient menaces to society. They think our dogs are roached-back hip-dysplasia factories who move like mechanical toys and that their line is the best. German-line enthusiasts think the American-bred dogs are oversized hock-draggers whose hips are in danger of clattering out of their sockets at any given moment. They think the working ability has been bred so far out of them that you end up with a ticking timebomb of a bastard that will eat a baby's face at any given moment.

Both sides are right, and both sides are wrong. And it will be the detriment of the breed if we don't stop soon.

I'm only half looking forward to taking Discoe to the Detroit Kennel Club show this year. We only do obedience now, which is nice because I get that many fewer comments like "Is that a German Shepherd?" "Why does it look so different?" "German Shepherd mixed with what?" "It's not a REAL German Shepherd, though, is it?" "Is that a Tervuren?" (Discoe has nowhere near enough hair to even be in Tervuren territory, but I have gotten that). When I took her in the AKC ring, she was the only dog in her class and it was so quiet that it wasn't hard to hear people wondering to the people they came with "Why did she put that dog in the ring?" "That dog shouldn't be in the ring."

There's a simple answer to why "I put that dog in the ring."

To show people that there's more than one river to an ocean. That the American-bred is not the be-all end-all of the German Shepherd. I did what none of the American-line enthusiasts are brave enough to do with their dogs: I braved the opposing kennel club. Sure there are German dogs who do well enough to champion out in AKC. They're very far and inbetween, and there are far more who the judge will pass a second place ribbon to even when they're the only dog in the class just to drive home the point that SV conformation is not welcome in their house. But I did it anyway because they won't dare drag their dogs out on the trial field to fight man in a padded suit waving a stick around.

I look at Discoe and I know that there's nothing she "can't" or "shouldn't" do. I can slap a weight-pull harness on her, rip that off and throw her out on the Schutzhund field. I can run her off the field and into the SV show ring and expect a decent placement. I can then pull her out of the ring and run her through a Temperament test. When we're done with that, I can run her up to the library and children can read her Curious George. And once that book is done, I can drive her up to the nearest Petco and win the Best Trick Contest. All because someone three years ago or less told me there was something she wouldn't do. Something she couldn't do.

The point being, her dog, IMO at least, is better than any of those dogs that are just shown, precisely BECAUSE she can do everything else. To me that shows she would have the quality, temperament and intelligence to be a great all round dog, the type of dog that should be bred with the thought of "family/companion dog" in mind (which is different than breeding a GSD for protection work).

The Show Ring is just too full of elitism, to me, to use it as a proving ground for the validity of a dog.

Sorry... rather long winded. :confused:

I'm actually glad it's staying civil really. Any other time I've seen the topic come up elsewhere, it is a literal war, no joking with that at all. I'd rather the healthy debate than the "RAWR" that can go on.

I don't think everyone has parent eyes. I don't. Yes I love my dogs and think they're gorgeous and perfect, but I'm also realistic about them and I know their flaws, too. With them being young still, those flaws may straighten out, but they might not, only time will tell. I think more people need to start thinking like this though - ie thinking with common sense - than with their heart.

I do agree about the pedigree research. In my case, Seppalas are bottleneck and to me, we need a bit more in the way of new blood whether it comes from working show lines or another acceptable source. But that's just my opinion on it.

With all respect, I don't approve of conformation shows as the be all standard to judge a dog by. It should be only one of many things that prove a good dog, especially a working type dog. For example I've a friend with a GSD. This is what she said to me when discussing attitudes you'll find in the breeding/showing world.

This is why I'm starting so much to hate dog people. We can't just respect the dog for what it is anymore. We have to start breaking down purity and all that other BS to place value on dogs THAT DON'T EVEN BELONG TO US HALF THE TIME.

I get the same crap about my dog. The American-line/German-line rift is getting more and more disgusting by the day. Both camps believe the same crap about the other side's dogs. American-line enthusiasts think our dogs are ill-tempered brutes because they do bitework and we're just essentially training them to be more efficient menaces to society. They think our dogs are roached-back hip-dysplasia factories who move like mechanical toys and that their line is the best. German-line enthusiasts think the American-bred dogs are oversized hock-draggers whose hips are in danger of clattering out of their sockets at any given moment. They think the working ability has been bred so far out of them that you end up with a ticking timebomb of a bastard that will eat a baby's face at any given moment.

Both sides are right, and both sides are wrong. And it will be the detriment of the breed if we don't stop soon.

I'm only half looking forward to taking Discoe to the Detroit Kennel Club show this year. We only do obedience now, which is nice because I get that many fewer comments like "Is that a German Shepherd?" "Why does it look so different?" "German Shepherd mixed with what?" "It's not a REAL German Shepherd, though, is it?" "Is that a Tervuren?" (Discoe has nowhere near enough hair to even be in Tervuren territory, but I have gotten that). When I took her in the AKC ring, she was the only dog in her class and it was so quiet that it wasn't hard to hear people wondering to the people they came with "Why did she put that dog in the ring?" "That dog shouldn't be in the ring."

There's a simple answer to why "I put that dog in the ring."

To show people that there's more than one river to an ocean. That the American-bred is not the be-all end-all of the German Shepherd. I did what none of the American-line enthusiasts are brave enough to do with their dogs: I braved the opposing kennel club. Sure there are German dogs who do well enough to champion out in AKC. They're very far and inbetween, and there are far more who the judge will pass a second place ribbon to even when they're the only dog in the class just to drive home the point that SV conformation is not welcome in their house. But I did it anyway because they won't dare drag their dogs out on the trial field to fight man in a padded suit waving a stick around.

I look at Discoe and I know that there's nothing she "can't" or "shouldn't" do. I can slap a weight-pull harness on her, rip that off and throw her out on the Schutzhund field. I can run her off the field and into the SV show ring and expect a decent placement. I can then pull her out of the ring and run her through a Temperament test. When we're done with that, I can run her up to the library and children can read her Curious George. And once that book is done, I can drive her up to the nearest Petco and win the Best Trick Contest. All because someone three years ago or less told me there was something she wouldn't do. Something she couldn't do.

The point being, her dog, IMO at least, is better than any of those dogs that are just shown, precisely BECAUSE she can do everything else. To me that shows she would have the quality, temperament and intelligence to be a great all round dog, the type of dog that should be bred with the thought of "family/companion dog" in mind (which is different than breeding a GSD for protection work).

The Show Ring is just too full of elitism, to me, to use it as a proving ground for the validity of a dog.

Sorry... rather long winded. :confused:

:clap:Excellently put both by yourself and your friend! Well put, Laine! :up:

At least in the US, a dog's hips can't be certified as being normal until they are at least 2 years of age, so that is a limiting factor on when they should be bred. Both prospective parents should be of a quality such that breeding them would be likely to improve the breed, rather than simply producing puppies. Sorry, Attila, I'm going to have to disagree with you and agree with persephona on this one! The only way to "prove" a dog's quality is to have it compete, either under knowledgeable and respected judges in the dog show ring, or through working in harness. The Siberian is a working breed, and should have the physical conformation to be able to to the job for which it was originally bred. It's very difficult to know what to look for as regards to how a dog is put together without learning to evaluate them, and the prime places to learn this is at dog shows and behind a team! When I breed a litter, any pups NOT going to sledding or showing homes are sold with non-breeding contracts - my name and reputation are attached to those dogs for their lives - and for the lives of any puppies they might produce!

As an example that all puppies in a litter from top quality parents not being equal, meet Merlin:

post-5861-0-24038100-1387536211_thumb.jp

Merlin and his littermates were out of a bitch I had named Hope, who was out of two top quality show dogs. Their father was the first AKC Show Champion to have completed an Iditarod (he also completed the Yukon Quest). This litter just turned 13 in January, and Merlin, whom I quickly sorted into the "lovely pet" category as a puppy based on how his parts fit together, is largely crippled by arthritis, despite having had a fairly cushy life. I'm grateful he never reproduced, based on how he looks now! His sister Ginny (whom I kept), still runs around and plays with her 8 year old daughter and year old grandson. His sister Echo, who lives in Alaska, was still running on a recreational sled team earlier this year, as I recall, and many of her descendants are winning in the show ring and on the racing trails in Alaska.

It's been my experience that a male that hasn't been allowed to breed isn't nearly as interested in bitches in season as one that has - even after both have been neutered, the male that's been allowed to breed is far more interested! Unneutered males tend to become very stressed when there are bitches in season around, and will often not eat for the better part of a week - and they can smell a bitch that is in season even if she's a mile away! I won't tell you to not "stud" your male, but I will say that you'll have a very difficult time finding a truly high-quality bitch to breed him to if his quality isn't proven in the ring or on the trail - there are so many good quality dogs available in those venues, that most breeders will choose to breed to a dog that is from kennel lines that they know. That way, they've often seen what that male's parents, grandparents, siblings, and other relatives look like, so they'll have a better idea what that dog might produce with their bitch... It's not snobbishness, nearly as much as knowing what they want to produce, and knowing that they need to have as much information available to them about the male they will breed to, to assure that their time and efforts are rewarded with the best quality pups they can produce...

post-1869-1358602290645_thumb.jpg

At least in the US, a dog's hips can't be certified as being normal until they are at least 2 years of age, so that is a limiting factor on when they should be bred. Both prospective parents should be of a quality such that breeding them would be likely to improve the breed, rather than simply producing puppies. Sorry, Attila, I'm going to have to disagree with you and agree with persephona on this one! The only way to "prove" a dog's quality is to have it compete, either under knowledgeable and respected judges in the dog show ring, or through working in harness. The Siberian is a working breed, and should have the physical conformation to be able to to the job for which it was originally bred. ...

Very insightful actually thanks for this :)

I both agree and disagree with you on this... There are many judges out there that do not, in my opinion, know nearly as much as they ought to know about judging Siberians, and you see them at all-breed dog shows, in particular. They do not know or understand what proper movement in a Siberian is, nor how important it is - and they don't care! At Siberian Specialties (shows just for Siberians - they exist for other breeds, as well), however, I feel that judges are more often selected who are Siberian breeders, or who otherwise have a good understanding of proper structure and movement, and the reasons for the breed needing to have them. There have been a number of kennels in the US where dogs have been quite successful both in the ring and on the trail... Something of which I'm very proud!

Thank you Gigi, I respect your opinion in this, I know you and I have discussed this before. I agree with them in conformation to what they were originally intended, sledding. I place more viability on that, than in the show ring-two separate worlds. I'm glad you came and gave us your thoughts on the matter, after all-you've been involved with this wonderful breed for 25 years, that says something! I feel like I learned so much with our boy that we could write a book, but in 25 years you should look into that! ;)

Thank you Gigi, I respect your opinion in this, I know you and I have discussed this before. I agree with them in conformation to what they were originally intended, sledding. I place more viability on that, than in the show ring-two separate worlds. I'm glad you came and gave us your thoughts on the matter, after all-you've been involved with this wonderful breed for 25 years, that says something! I feel like I learned so much with our boy that we could write a book, but in 25 years you should look into that! ;)

Lol, would love to, but there are already LOADS of books on the breed out there! ;) Anecdotes about my dogs and experiences would be a more likely topic for such a book!