a question

FreedomSpirit husky

My Roxy has came into season about a week ago and she will be 10 months on the 5th of march too! So far, other than the basics I have found that she is has been quite clingy and doesn't want to be on her own at all! She is grumpy with most female dogs at the moment, even ones she knows and plays with often! She's been slightly off her food, but i expected that and she's had a very sensitive tummy! Other than that it's just the bleeding, i would cover any surface she sleeps or sits on with a towel, and if you have wood flooring be prepared for mopping! It will vary from dog to dog but there has been ALOT more bleeding than i expected so be prepared for it just incase. I've tried to help clean Roxy up a bit as it tends to get everywhere, but she won't let me near he back end at all, to even to stroke her but she is doing a good job of cleaning herself. Oh and be very careful on walks! Even if you are responsible other dog owners may not be!

I hope that helps a little bit, it's just what i have found over the last week!

Kiska was 1 year and 1 month old when she had her first season (it was probably this late because German shepherd's usually have their first around 14-16 months old). Unfortunately she came into season two days after an intact male labrador was dropped off at our house while his owners went on holiday for 2 weeks :confused: I spent most of the two weeks making sure he didn't get up to any funny business :P He wasn't too bad to be honest. Kiska bled for about 14-16 days (can't remember exactly) and didn't seem to have a period of time where she was appealing to males (or maybe I didn't notice it). If the male hadn't been there then the only thing I'd have had to have changed was having her wear season pants - she would have them on while she was in the house. I'd take them off if she was in her crate or in the garden/on walks to give her a break from them (she really didn't like wearing them :rolleyes: ).

My Roxy has came into season about a week ago and she will be 10 months on the 5th of march too! So far, other than the basics I have found that she is has been quite clingy and doesn't want to be on her own at all! She is grumpy with most female dogs at the moment, even ones she knows and plays with often! She's been slightly off her food, but i expected that and she's had a very sensitive tummy! Other than that it's just the bleeding, i would cover any surface she sleeps or sits on with a towel, and if you have wood flooring be prepared for mopping! It will vary from dog to dog but there has been ALOT more bleeding than i expected so be prepared for it just incase. I've tried to help clean Roxy up a bit as it tends to get everywhere, but she won't let me near he back end at all, to even to stroke her but she is doing a good job of cleaning herself. Oh and be very careful on walks! Even if you are responsible other dog owners may not be!

thank you for the info :D it realy helped

P.S to all thank you for all the replies :grouphug:

You can get something called 'bitch spray' from a pet shop. It's citronella spray and is useful for when you take her out. You spray it round her tail end and it masks her scent from interested males you may pass on the lead.

Both my girls are in season at the moment. We've had a couple of fights because they're both grumpy bums. The spray worked on splitting them up as well, a mouth full of citronella is not pleasant lol

You can get something called 'bitch spray' from a pet shop. It's citronella spray and is useful for when you take her out. You spray it round her tail end and it masks her scent from interested males you may pass on the lead.

Both my girls are in season at the moment. We've had a couple of fights because they're both grumpy bums. The spray worked on splitting them up as well, a mouth full of citronella is not pleasant lol

thanks for the info and it seem that our dogs have a birthday on the same day :D

Looks like everything has been covered lol I would like to add two things that I've had to deal with with Kiana's heat cycles. First is to keep an eye out for a split heat. Kiana's first heat was like this it's basically where they seem to go out of heat and then a week or two later start up again.

The other thing to watch out for is a false pregnancy. If she starts to mother a toy or nest then that is likely the starting point of a false pregnancy. It's really stressful on them and you should definitely see a vet if it happens as they can give her something to settle her hormones down again.