Quit Smoking Commercial - Controversial?

Elyse

This australian commercial was banned in Austrailia, the US (and I believe other countries as well) because some people believe it went to far to illustrate its point. The real kicker? Apparently the kid's tears were real. See for yourself.

SfAxUpeVhCg

Personally, I think it's a wonderful message but it could have been brought about in better ways. Like, I know most people have a soft spot for children, and if I saw that commercial and if I smoked...it probably wouldn't make ME quit cause I don't really care about kids even if I'm related to them!

But still, I've lost loved ones due to complications from smoking, so I understand their point.

What do YOU think?

i don't think the commercial is over the top either. however, a kid can lose his/her parent(s) for any number of reasons. why did they chose to make quitting the reason for this commercial? and why wasn't the lady smoking or something. there is too much of a disconnect for me...

Good point...would've made more sense if she was smoking or at a doctors or something

I think the message is alright. My good friend just lost his Dad last April due to lung cancer from smoking, it was sad seeing him go through it, then I helped my friend go through his things to donate them to Goodwill and Salvation Army and helped him sell things, he couldn't go in his father's room, so Gloria and I were helping him. I understand what they were trying to say in that commercial, but whether it will be effective or not, its up to people whether it speaks to them or not. Maybe some will "get it" and others will carry on with their daily routine. Most people forget soon after seeing something like this, others will become callous after seeing it too many times.

i don't think the commercial is over the top either. however, a kid can lose his/her parent(s) for any number of reasons. why did they chose to make quitting the reason for this commercial? and why wasn't the lady smoking or something. there is too much of a disconnect for me...

It looked like they were in a subway/train station...usually you can't smoke inside buildings cause its illegal.

I don't think it would been as effective if they were outside, cause in places like that its practically a zoo and when you're a little kid you're absolutely terrified if you get lost/lose your parents. If they would have been outside, then the kid would have been able to find his parent easier because its not as congested, IMO. :)

This australian commercial was banned in Austrailia, the US (and I believe other countries as well) because some people believe it went to far to illustrate its point. The real kicker? Apparently the kid's tears were real. See for yourself.

SfAxUpeVhCg

Personally, I think it's a wonderful message but it could have been brought about in better ways. Like, I know most people have a soft spot for children, and if I saw that commercial and if I smoked...it probably wouldn't make ME quit cause I don't really care about kids even if I'm related to them!

But still, I've lost loved ones due to complications from smoking, so I understand their point.

What do YOU think?

Our "favorite" kids have four legs and fur!

I don't like how real the fear on that poor boy is. I mean either he is a darned good young actor or they made him really believe his mommy vanished :( I've felt like that before when I was young and it's not an experience I've forgotten to this day. You can't create that feeling. Other than that I think it's a good commercial. Heck they've put far worse things on tv they haven't banned one commercial among many isn't gonna make a difference.

Even though I knew what was coming, the ( apparent ) callousness of the situation bothers me!

Even given that the boy might be an excellent actor - able to cry on demand, the thought of someone just up and leaving a child in a place like that depot <<??>> angered me to the point that I seriously would have missed the reason for the commercial!

I'll stop ...

Most people forget soon after seeing something like this, others will become callous after seeing it too many times.

Continuing that thought, since people are so desensitized these days, sometimes it takes a really strong example to get a message across. I mean, people who smoke know it's bad, it's written on every side of the carton now. In Canada, I found my cousins carton and noticed they are putting graphic pictures of what smoker's lungs and etc looked like on them too. I don't know how effective any of it is.. Most of my co-workers smoke, many of them have children (young ones), and none of them seem to be bothered by any of it... We keep a radio on all day in the office, and occasionally a "stop smoking" commercial/message comes on- I've actually heard someone start yelling at the radio telling them they're liars lol. :facepalm:

So if something like this, or maybe something even more provoking, is what it takes to make people think about it, then I'm for it. I thought the commercial itself was pretty well done, very simple and to the point. I'd feel bad if the kid thought it was real though.

I think it would have been better if the Child vanished, with the message 'If you worry about your child when he's out of sight for a second, then why be so selfish as to kill him with Poison' or equally better a woman pouring cereal and putting in a drop of poison, then handing it to their child or lover, grandma etc anyone really then saying 'You would never intentionally poison your family, so why smoke near them?'