Buy or Build: Outdoor Kennel

Lavs

I bought my kennel panels....which turns out to be lucky for me since I'm relocating the kennels to a new spot on the yard this summer. The ones I chose are welded bar, powder coated...so far 4 years of WA weather hasn't aged them a day! Obviously the kennels have expanded with our pack, but this was right after we built them :)

post-8679-0-87805300-1388020131_thumb.jp

post-6615-13586023493983_thumb.jpg

I bought my kennel panels....which turns out to be lucky for me since I'm relocating the kennels to a new spot on the yard this summer. The ones I chose are welded bar, powder coated...so far 4 years of WA weather hasn't aged them a day! Obviously the kennels have expanded with our pack, but this was right after we built them :)

[ATTACH=full]40679[/ATTACH]

wow ok....so u have like patio stones covered with dirt so its soft but they cant dig. thats amazing looking really and its husky proof???

[ATTACH=full]40679[/ATTACH]

Wow they look great :)

If your out like me at DIY you buy them :D

I buried cattle panels under each kennel run, so there is a welded steel grid just a few inches below, so that prevents dig outs though I have never had an issue with that with my own (fosters are another story). I also added horse field fence fence (also welded grid style) to the tops to prevent jump/climb outs...The rest of the construction was patio/paver stones for the house pad and a front of pea gravel....brushed the pea gravel in between the pavers to lock them into place. Totaly husky and wolfdog secure. In 4 years I have only had one foster dog escape with an up and over maneuver which is why they were topped right after that and never again since. Relocating and adding another this summer and building a permanent roof over the runs. Our dog yard is a constant work in progress :)

I will take pics of the whole process this summer :D

I buried cattle panels under each kennel run, so there is a welded steel grid just a few inches below, so that prevents dig outs though I have never had an issue with that with my own (fosters are another story). I also added horse field fence fence (also welded grid style) to the tops to prevent jump/climb outs...The rest of the construction was patio/paver stones for the house pad and a front of pea gravel....brushed the pea gravel in between the pavers to lock them into place. Totaly husky and wolfdog secure. In 4 years I have only had one foster dog escape with an up and over maneuver which is why they were topped right after that and never again since. Relocating and adding another this summer and building a permanent roof over the runs. Our dog yard is a constant work in progress :)

goodness...wanna take a vacation to canada and do that in my yard too then? lol

It depends on your personal preferance. These days you can have your kennels built for you to your specs but I reckon that would cost you a fair bit, but it will save you the trouble of ensuring its put together properly (esp, if your like me and useless at DIY). But if you know what your doing with DIY and want to save a few pennies then doing it yourself maybe the better option.

yeaaah im lucky in that im pretty handy with stuff like that, and our neighbour is also our really close friend and a carpenter! and you know, mayyyyybe i could coax my fiance to pitch in too....not likely but i can dream.