OMG adder bite

davidjk

as you know we re-homed saskia about a six weeks ago from a family that couldnt look after her.

since then she has got fitter and stronger, and then suffered a shoulder injury, then that recovered, and i have just recieved a phone call from my wife to say that saskia is at the vets because she got an adder bite whilst out on horsel common. i asked her to repeat what she had said because it didnt sink in

i dont know any more details yet, but my wife is at the vets with her, luckily the vets is just round the corner from where she was, and she is fit and strong so it shouldnt be a problem.

i cant believe how upset i am by this.

i will post more as i know

Update

not good news, she got bit on the face, which is a bad place to be bitten.

aparently the snake was basking in the path, saskia was out in front , and it bit her face, she then bit its head off and swalowed it , and was trying to eat the rest of it when my wife pulled it off of her.

the vets where being all gloom and doom aparently the anti venom is worse than the bite, but because she has been got on the face she needs it because she is having difficulty breathing.

it will be a few hours before we know anything more

update 2

well just got off of the phone to the vets, and becuase my wife got her to the vets swiftly(because saskia was eating the adder)

she got the anti toxin fast, and should suffer no long term effects, like kidney problems etc.

she is up and about and eating and going tothe toilet

she also didnt have an adverse reaction to the anti toxin either

the vet said she was very lucky, because face bites usually end up with them stopping breathing, becuase they dont realise the dog has been bitten.

so good girl saskia for trying to eat it, that action saved you.

we will be getting a call in the morning from the vets, and baring and unforseen circumstances she will be allowed home

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not good news, she got bit on the face, which is a bad place to be bitten.

aparently the snake was basking in the path, saskia was out in front , and it bit her face, she then bit its head off and swalowed it , and was trying to eat the rest of it when my wife pulled it off of her.

the vets where being all gloom and doom aparently the anti venom is worse than the bite, but because she has been got on the face she needs it because she is having difficulty breathing.

it will be a few hours before we know anything more

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to read that a few times :eek:

Wish I could offer you some advise but Ive never had one of my dogs bitten by a snake before, apart from when Gizmo nearly got bit by a grass snake in Wareham forest (but thats a completely different subject!). Really hope she pulls though, please please please keep us updated!!! The snakes venom glands are in the head and if she has swalled the head I would take extreme care and possible try to have it removed asap!

If it helps, I found this: http://www.vetbase.co.uk/information/common-european-adder-bites-dogs.php Hope this helps

Husky hugs from all of us here to Saskia, yourself and your wife

Let us know hoe she goes on

OMG David!!!!! :eek: I am so so sorry to hear about Saskia!!!! I really hope she pulls through and will be ok! Pease do keep us all posted.

Paws & fingers crossed for your family & saskia x x x x x x x x x x Grey sends her a big get well kiss and Huskyhugs x x x x x x x x MWAH :60:

Good link Amy added to Rep x x x x x x

well just got off of the phone to the vets, and becuase my wife got her to the vets swiftly(because saskia was eating the adder)

she got the anti toxin fast, and should suffer no long term effects, like kidney problems etc.

she also didnt have an adverse reaction to the anti toxin either

she is up and about and eating and going tothe toilet

the vet said she was very lucky, because face bites usually end up with them stopping breathing, becuase they dont realise the dog has been bitten.

so good girl saskia for trying to eat it, that action saved you.

we will be getting a call in the morning from the vets, and baring and unforseen circumstances she will be allowed home

well dogs learn quickly, she will be very wary in future, to be honest she probably scared it, and it reacted normally.

i was so upset earlier, it really surprised me, because micha is my first dog and i really think she is the best thing since sliced bread, but i dont feel quite the same about saskia, which makes me feel guilty.

but after a reaction like today i realise that i do care heaps and heaps for her.

thank you all for your kind words.

saskia has to be in for 24 hours on a drip, so she wont be allowed out till 3pm ish on wednesday.

i really hope all is ok, we have many adders in wareham forest, and its something im always aware of, those of you on facebook will have seen the pics claire posted. i Always try to move the smake with a long stick, or at least move them from the path, as its not only my pets that can be bitten.

our thoughts are with you, keep us informed