OMG adder bite

davidjk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear she's doing so well. My old rottie cross, Gus got bitten on the face in Suffolk when he was a puppy. We didn't realise until a good few hours later, when his nose swelled up. Took him to the vet, and he didn't seem that worried by it, gave him some tablets and he was right as rain after a couple of days.

Keep us posted on how she is tomorrow please.

Guest AllenM

Hey David glad Saskia is ok.. heres a little bit of info ive found just for everyones attention.

Adders

Dogs are relatively frequent victims of adder bites due to their nature of exploring undergrowth and their general inquisitiveness. Adder bites often occur when a dog is out on a walk and exploring the areas where snakes are basking in the sun. This makes them likely to disturb the snakes, either accidentally or due to their investigative actions. Dogs are frequently bitten on the face and limbs but bites can occur on any part of the body. Most snake bites tend to occur between March and October when the snakes are more active due to the warm weather.

The Common European Adder is fairly widespread throughout the UK. It can be found in a variety of habitats including woodland areas, moors, heathland, meadows, coastal dunes, hedgerows, and the banks of streams, lakes and ponds. The individual appearance of adders is variable but they can usually be identified by the dark V or X shape on the back of the head. Most adders also have a zig-zag pattern on their back which runs all the way along the body as far as the tail. Adders are quite timid in nature and will not usually bite unless they feel threatened or cornered.

If your pet is bitten by an adder (or you suspect that it may have been) you should seek prompt veterinary attention. Do not attempt first aid measures such as sucking out the venom or applying a tourniquet - these procedures are ineffective and may even cause further harm to your pet.

Where possible carry your dog back to the car to prevent the circulation of venom around the body.

Most adder bites result in pain and inflammation and are not usually fatal. However, if your pet is bitten by an adder it should be considered to be an emergency and prompt veterinary attention should be sought since in severe cases dogs may sometimes collapse and die following an adder bite.

The severity of signs seen in animals as a result of snake bites is variable and depends upon several factors; these include the site of the bite and the size of the animal (smaller animals being at more risk of severe problems due to the relative dose of venom to their bodyweight). Most adder bites result in pain and inflammation, but are not usually fatal.

The most effective treatment for adder bites is anti-venom; vets may be able to obtain this from the local hospital if required. Supportive treatment such as anti-inflammatory drugs, i/v fluids and antibiotics may also be given as and when they are needed by affected dogs.

Allen.

had a call fromt he vets this morrning, saskia is doing fine.

her face is a bit swollen still, and she might loose some skin around the bite area !!!!!!!!!!!!

but she was treated very rapidly, and the vet says she is in amazing condition considering what happened to her, and that if it wasnt for the fact that her face and kneck was swollen,she had bite marks and we brought in the adder corpse she would swear she wasnt bitten.

saskia has been exceptionally lucky it would seem.

we are allowed to collect her at 5pm

and she has to go back in 2 days to see how her skin is around her bite.

:party::laola::party:

SHES BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she has to be kept on a zero excercise routine, and has some antibiotics.

she was so happy to see me. the vet was explaining the situation to me, and saskia was licking my face constantly, she is so happy.

mind you then so am i.

micha was plese to see her also.

while we where there one of the nurses said another adder bite had come in from horsel common!!!

time to stay away untill winter i guess

Im glad you have Saskia back :)

Have you thought about writing or contacting the person/s who own the place where you go? If there are multiple bites in one area then that suggests to me that that particular area is hightly populated with adders and would think about moving several adders to another location to keep the population down.