When would you 'put down' a dog?

Smokey

I had to pts my first GSD saddest day of my life she was 14 yrs young...almost 2 yrs ago , but her hip's had gone, she couldn't see.....and life was no fun at all :( I remember the day like it was yesterday...and still feel so guilty about letting my very best friend go to rainbow bridge...although i know in my heart of heart's it was her time ....and she wanted to go run around again....i still think about her everyday...but know one day we will be back together !

there will never be an easy time to say goodbye to our beloved pets .....but know she taught me so much about compassion, and love ...that i have passed on to our now well loved pets...and know the time we do spend with them is a pure blessing for which i am truly grateful :)

shall meet my Lady again...and am looking forward to that day ....still remember the day she was pts after the awful event....... there was a cloud in the sky in the shape of a dog... she is looking over me is what i would like to think :) she protects my pack...hubby and kids included :) she was a true lady !

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just last Wednesday I was faced with the decision to put my 8 week old puppy on a respirator or have her put down. Her odds of survival were less than 50%, and even if she did survive, her brain injury would've likely left her unhappy/distant/unhealthy/etc. I didn't want the poor thing to suffer any longer so I thought it was the best decision to have her put out of her misery. It was a gut-wrenching decision. But at least I know my poor puppy is in a better place :cry1:

am so sorry for your loss...hardest decision no doubt :( and heartfelt love and wishes go out to you xxx

A few years ago we had to make that decision with our Great Dane. She developed cancer at 10 years old. She had surgery to remove it and within days she was the loving and happy dog she always was. The vet said we could try chemo but that it would make her very sick so we opted not to do it. A year later the cancer returned aggressively and we had to make the decision. That was probably the most difficult decision I have ever made, but I don't doubt it was the right one for her.

Chemo and radiation are probably an option in younger dogs, but I don't think it would have been a good choice for my girl.

Our opinion is each person has to deal with this issue on their own terms, our hearts go out to all who have had to go through this. We have been through this twice. Two in less than a year apart and one coming up on his first year. March 14th. Our first, Sasha had a ruptured tumor on her liver, and Dakota from complications of Diabetes. One was so unexpected, the other, the vet in our living room giving us only one option. Sucks really bad.:cry1::cry1::heartbeat::heartbeat:

I have had to euthanize quite a few of my dogs, at this point, and it's never an easy decision. Most have been quite old, generally 14-15, and have gotten to the point where I knew that they were suffering, and that they had reached a point where there were going to be so many more bad days than good, that I couldn't ask them to stay for my benefit. One younger dog had had a head injury, and as he was weaned off the powerful steroid and antibiotic he was on, he had a huge grand mal seizure; I'd known that his chances weren't good, so made the decision to euthanize him, rather than allow him to continue that way. Raf, whom I had put down at the end of January, had a perforated intestine, and his prognosis wasn't good.

I have to disagree with the post that had mentioned euthanizing because of lack of money; I currently am having financial difficulties due to being underemployed - which did not exist when Raf was born at my home almost 7 years ago. I had to make a decision whether to try surgery, with a strong likelihood that he would not make it anyway, leaving me further in debt by several hundred dollars, or euthanize him, and stop his pain. I chose to let him go - and believe me, it wasn't easy! With each of the dogs (and cats) that I've had to let go over the years, I've made sure I was there with them. I felt I owed it to them to make their transition from this life as easy as possible

As far as euthanization for extreme behavioral problems, where the dog is truly a danger to others, I feel that there are times when it would be kinder to the dog, providing that the owners aren't capable of safely and adequately working to rehabilitate the dog - and not all are. I definitely don't think that passing these dogs along to the average pet owner is fair to the dog or to the average new owner. There is something called "rage syndrome", as well, where the dog seems to have a switch that flips, for no apparent reason, causing unprovoked and unreasoning attacks... I believe that it would be fairer for these dogs to euthanize them - for their sake as well as those who might be harmed by them. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_6/features/Rage-Syndrome-In-Dogs_5639-1.html

Our opinion is each person has to deal with this issue on their own terms, our hearts go out to all who have had to go through this. We have been through this twice. Two in less than a year apart and one coming up on his first year. March 14th. Our first, Sasha had a ruptured tumor on her liver, and Dakota from complications of Diabetes. One was so unexpected, the other, the vet in our living room giving us only one option. Sucks really bad.:cry1::cry1::heartbeat::heartbeat:

It's never an easy decision to make as life is never easy. We all wish our dogs could live happily and healthily forever with us, but sadly this is not the case. Our dogs impact our lives just as much as we impact theirs. Dogs are the proverbial mirror of their owners. So may your two rest in peace... I'm sure they're in a better place and have left an equally positive impact upon your life :)

I have had to euthanize quite a few of my dogs, at this point, and it's never an easy decision. Most have been quite old, generally 14-15, and have gotten to the point where I knew that they were suffering, and that they had reached a point where there were going to be so many more bad days than good, that I couldn't ask them to stay for my benefit. One younger dog had had a head injury, and as he was weaned off the powerful steroid and antibiotic he was on, he had a huge grand mal seizure; I'd known that his chances weren't good, so made the decision to euthanize him, rather than allow him to continue that way. Raf, whom I had put down at the end of January, had a perforated intestine, and his prognosis wasn't good.

I have to disagree with the post that had mentioned euthanizing because of lack of money; I currently am having financial difficulties due to being underemployed - which did not exist when Raf was born at my home almost 7 years ago. I had to make a decision whether to try surgery, with a strong likelihood that he would not make it anyway, leaving me further in debt by several hundred dollars, or euthanize him, and stop his pain. I chose to let him go - and believe me, it wasn't easy! With each of the dogs (and cats) that I've had to let go over the years, I've made sure I was there with them. I felt I owed it to them to make their transition from this life as easy as possible

As far as euthanization for extreme behavioral problems, where the dog is truly a danger to others, I feel that there are times when it would be kinder to the dog, providing that the owners aren't capable of safely and adequately working to rehabilitate the dog - and not all are. I definitely don't think that passing these dogs along to the average pet owner is fair to the dog or to the average new owner. There is something called "rage syndrome", as well, where the dog seems to have a switch that flips, for no apparent reason, causing unprovoked and unreasoning attacks... I believe that it would be fairer for these dogs to euthanize them - for their sake as well as those who might be harmed by them. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_6/features/Rage-Syndrome-In-Dogs_5639-1.html

The third paragraph in this thread response by Sutsibe we so totally agree with. There was an incident shared to us about a Malamute who had the same "switch that flipped" syndrome was an absolute beautiful dog, because of this "Rage Syndrome" this dog shelter in Alaska had to make the decision to keep everyone safe for example; the director of the clinic took him to her home where one moment he was the sweetest dog with her Siberians, and the next minute he would go into a mad state towards her. She even showed us a photograph of where she is laying with him outside hugging him like a big friendly bear. You would never have know this could exist in him by looking at this photograph. She stated it was one of the hardest things to do.:(

As everyone has said, this is always a very difficult decision, regardless of the reason. I had to do this for my 17 year-old husky about 5 years ago. While she was beginning to break down physically, she had been mentally gone for a while. It took me over 3 years to get to the place where I could make the decision, and even then it was very hard. In the end, all of us will likely have to make that decision. Sutsibe, I liked the way you put it, and I agree with your comments--good job.

As everyone has said, this is always a very difficult decision, regardless of the reason. I had to do this for my 17 year-old husky about 5 years ago. While she was beginning to break down physically, she had been mentally gone for a while. It took me over 3 years to get to the place where I could make the decision, and even then it was very hard. In the end, all of us will likely have to make that decision. Sutsibe, I liked the way you put it, and I agree with your comments--good job.

Thanks - the only thing harder for me than letting them go is seeing them suffer...

The posts in this thread make me tear up over and over! :(

I've never made the decision to put down any pet, but I know Suka still has quite a while left with us until I have to start worrying (he's 7 years old)...unless something goes terribly wrong.

As for the poll...I only voted for #2 and #5.

There is something called "rage syndrome", as well, where the dog seems to have a switch that flips, for no apparent reason, causing unprovoked and unreasoning attacks... I believe that it would be fairer for these dogs to euthanize them - for their sake as well as those who might be harmed by them. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_6/features/Rage-Syndrome-In-Dogs_5639-1.html

This is a very interesting article. Good find!

If there was no longer any quality to the life they are living then I believe it's time to let them go...When they can no longer enjoy the life they are living and there are no options for improving the situation other than perhaps keeping them so medicated/coma induced then what is the point of stretching it out? Though I have not been put in this situation yet I hope I will be able to recognize when they tell me they are ready.

With each of the dogs (and cats) that I've had to let go over the years, I've made sure I was there with them. I felt I owed it to them to make their transition from this life as easy as possible

And that, my friends, is the hardest thing of all.........

But, to be there as they cross and their next journey begins, silently begging their forgiveness for what you could not fix and re-assuring them of you love, but more importantly, being re-assured of their love, was the most comforting thing for me.

I know that physically, dogs cannot weep. But when my Bo passed, a miracle happened - a tear fell from my eyes to his and rolled down his cheek. To me, it was and is a sign from him....I'm forgiven and still loved and when I need him most, he is still here. Be it in the things that Ryn does or the feeling of a nuzzle when no one, including Ryn, are around, he is still with me in spirit.