Iditarod 2012 starts today!

elenamarie

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin and Rohn Buser are doing really well atm! :D

Yep, but they haven't done their 24 yet and a lot of strong teams have completed their 24s and are going to pass the Busers.

It's a really close race at this point. The top ten are bunched up together, within just a few hours of each other.

Earlier in the race another team was suspected of having food poisoning, and now another? What is going on?

Scratched Norwegian musher suspects virus caused her to drop out of race

The "health concern'' that forced Norwegian musher Silvia Furtwängler to drop out of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race on Wednesday in Nikolai appears to have been some sort of infection. Her daughter, Raffaele Furtwängler, on Thursday posted to the Team Silvia Furtwängler Facebook page, saying her mother believes she may have picked up the same virus that made some of her dogs sick.

"A bad viral disease caught first the dogs and later Silvia, too,'' the note said.

Other mushers have mentioned dog illness they thought might be due to contaminated food. Humans and dogs rarely fall victim to the same viruses, but contaminated food can host all sorts of pathogens -- both human and animal. Someone handling contaminated food could pick up one infection while the dogs pick up another.

Raffaele said her mother, who is apparently still in Nikolai, "also got fever and at least had to fight with balance disorders." Her dogs, the post indicates, had to be helped into Nikolai: "Nearly all dogs got fever and was laying down into the snow several times At least two miles in front of Nikolai, it looks like she and her team are not able to manage to get into the near checkpoint.''

Raffaele and her mother believed the infection was viral, but there was no confirmation of that.

"Hopefully no more mushers or dogs will get into the same viral disease,'' Raffaele added, a hope no doubt shared by everyone along the 1,000-mile trail between Willow and Nome. Silvia's Iditarod has been a bit star-crossed since her arrival in Anchorage. She lost a prized lead dog in the city, which caused some panic before the race. It was fortunately caught and returned.

Then came the sickness and, her daughter reported, a crash that forced a sick mother and team to limp toward Nikolai with a broken sled.

Hank and Karen have finished their 24s at McGrath and are back on the trail.

Wade Marrs has scratched in Ophir.

Mitch Seavey is in the lead right now, though the leader board doesn't yet reflect that. Aily Zirkle has left Cripple ahead of Seavey, though.

There's a group of 10-15 very good mushers grouped at the front. The run down the Yukon and along the coast is going to be something to watch!

DeeDee is in Cripple with her full team (16 dogs.) She's moved up to 9th place but it's very fluid right now.

Lance is down to 12 dogs and in 8th place.

The Busers have completed their 24s and are back on the trail in 32 (Sr) and 33 (Jr).

Karen and Hank are between McGrath and Takotna, in 57th and 56th respectively. Karen has a full team. Hank has dropped two.

How cool is that!

So glad you found something! Don't worry, I'm patient, I know you have a life. :D

Guy says he's a musher. Of course on the Internet anyone can say they are anything and based on his statements about Sibes I'm guessing he's a 15 year old playing like an adult. Ya never know though. . ..

I've read that Mother Nature has been an issue for several teams this year. A lot of Iditapuppies are coming out of this race. ;)

I'm very glad to have work for a while, anyway - although it is for a total of probably 6-12 weeks - still looking for something full time and permanent! I'll take what I can get for the moment. There are mushers - and then again there are mushers! He probably has some fast Alaskans, and does whatever he does, and can't see the bigger picture. If he's never put himself (and his team) into a place where fast doesn't cut it, and he really needs good feet, a good coat, and an efficient metabolism and where he doesn't have all the modern conveniences that help keep the Alaskans going... Well, I'm not surprised, then! Couldn't believe Lance's comment that his leader had been bred 17 times! :jawdrop:

Takotna checkpoint--howling dogs.

I was watching Tux, Ginger, and the cats during the video, and not a one batted an eye! :rofl:

I'm very glad to have work for a while, anyway - although it is for a total of probably 6-12 weeks - still looking for something full time and permanent! I'll take what I can get for the moment.

(((((Gigi))))) I hope something great comes along SOON!

There are mushers - and then again there are mushers! He probably has some fast Alaskans, and does whatever he does, and can't see the bigger picture. If he's never put himself (and his team) into a place where fast doesn't cut it, and he really needs good feet, a good coat, and an efficient metabolism and where he doesn't have all the modern conveniences that help keep the Alaskans going... Well, I'm not surprised, then!

I keep reminding myself that the Iditarod is a race, not a reenactment, but there's no doubt that most of the dogs on the trail could NOT have made the Serum Run, nor the mail runs, nor anything else commemorated by the race. I have nothing against the Alaskans but the way some of the mushers dismiss and denigrate the original sled dogs really hacks me off.

Couldn't believe Lance's comment that his leader had been bred 17 times! :jawdrop:

No kidding! Little wonder Lance was "slow as drool" early in the race. ;)

I was watching Tux, Ginger, and the cats during the video, and not a one batted an eye! :rofl:

LOL Sarah looked up once then went back to sleep. She's NEVER howled, not even once. :(

Based on GPS locations:

• Lance 16

• DeeDee 7

• Martin 35

• Rohn 27

• Karen 51

• Hank 58

• Pat Moon 56

Hank is down to 13 dogs in Ophir. Karen has 15 on the trail to Cripple. Lance is down to 12 and is in Cripple. Rohn and Martin have 15 each. DeeDee is smoking along with 15, she dropped a dog in Cripple. Pat Moon is down to 10 dogs in Ophir.

(((((Gigi))))) I hope something great comes along SOON!

I keep reminding myself that the Iditarod is a race, not a reenactment, but there's no doubt that most of the dogs on the trail could NOT have made the Serum Run, nor the mail runs, nor anything else commemorated by the race. I have nothing against the Alaskans but the way some of the mushers dismiss and denigrate the original sled dogs really hacks me off.

Thanks - I do too! I usually don't worry about what ignorant people spout off about - seems to me most of the mushers who are doing the winning keep putting Siberian back in their lines so that they do get/keep better feet and coats! Those who try for a too-houndy dog - won't win at anything more than a short sprint in warm conditions.

Here's a really funny older post from Karen Ramstead's blog - the challenges of carrying a dog not up to continuing in harness in the dog bag... http://northwapiti.blogspot.com/2010/02/wi-oh-wi.html