Iditarod 2012 starts today!

elenamarie

Thanks - I do too! I usually don't worry about what ignorant people spout off about - seems to me most of the mushers who are doing the winning keep putting Siberian back in their lines so that they do get/keep better feet and coats! Those who try for a too-houndy dog - won't win at anything more than a short sprint in warm conditions.

Here's a really funny older post from Karen Ramstead's blog - the challenges of carrying a dog not up to continuing in harness in the dog bag... http://northwapiti.blogspot.com/2010/02/wi-oh-wi.html

Oh my, Wifi was definitely showing his Sibe-ness! :D Bet cleaning that bag out was a mess!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - I do too! I usually don't worry about what ignorant people spout off about - seems to me most of the mushers who are doing the winning keep putting Siberian back in their lines so that they do get/keep better feet and coats! Those who try for a too-houndy dog - won't win at anything more than a short sprint in warm conditions.

Here's a really funny older post from Karen Ramstead's blog - the challenges of carrying a dog not up to continuing in harness in the dog bag... http://northwapiti.blogspot.com/2010/02/wi-oh-wi.html

Did you watch the video where they're talking about the dogs returning to their native lands? If not you should. One of the mushers actually said that the best sled dogs are the dogs that trace most closely to the village dogs in Alaska and Siberia. By definition the mixed-breeding being done in the Alaskans gets then further and further from that origin.

Did you watch the video where they're talking about the dogs returning to their native lands? If not you should. One of the mushers actually said that the best sled dogs are the dogs that trace most closely to the village dogs in Alaska and Siberia. By definition the mixed-breeding being done in the Alaskans gets then further and further from that origin.

No, I didn't - do you have a link to it?

Oh crud, I forgot. I can't find a source for less bandwidth. :( Sorry.

Oh, don't worry! I DO watch videos, I just am rather choosy what I watch! Unfortunately, it means I miss a lot of really cool videos that other Husky Owners post of their fur-kids on the forum... :(

Oh, don't worry! I DO watch videos, I just am rather choosy what I watch! Unfortunately, it means I miss a lot of really cool videos that other Husky Owners post of their fur-kids on the forum... :(

Did you watch the one I posted? If so, what did you think? I thought the observations about the dogs were interesting, particularly since the observations are so radically different than the current breeding for the Alaskans. If I'm not mistaken that was a Seavey talking about the better dogs being closer to the true northern breeds, Sibes and village dogs particularly, yet his team are all Alaskans and look to be pretty mixed heritage.

Did you watch the one I posted? If so, what did you think? I thought the observations about the dogs were interesting, particularly since the observations are so radically different than the current breeding for the Alaskans. If I'm not mistaken that was a Seavey talking about the better dogs being closer to the true northern breeds, Sibes and village dogs particularly, yet his team are all Alaskans and look to be pretty mixed heritage.

I did look at it, and it was interesting! I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they'd have a variety of dogs along the spectrum, and would choose what dogs were going to race in a given race according to what they thought the weather conditions were likely to be... But yes - a lot of the Alaskans look very houndy!

I did look at it, and it was interesting! I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they'd have a variety of dogs along the spectrum, and would choose what dogs were going to race in a given race according to what they thought the weather conditions were likely to be... But yes - a lot of the Alaskans look very houndy!

I guess the problem with that is, the weather can change so radically over the 8-15 days on the trail, it would be nearly impossible to really know. Or am I wrong there?

Some of the Alaskans I've seen look like they're 85% hound-type! I saw one in a video a couple of days ago that looked like a doberman with a little more muscle. A lot of the Alaskans have the severely tilted pelvic bone that makes them faster but also causes issues with joints as the dogs age. I really don't like to see any dog with that insanely tilted pelvic bone because it will cause issues for the dog. But it does make the dogs faster before the joints start to fall apart.

I guess the problem with that is, the weather can change so radically over the 8-15 days on the trail, it would be nearly impossible to really know. Or am I wrong there?

Some of the Alaskans I've seen look like they're 85% hound-type! I saw one in a video a couple of days ago that looked like a doberman with a little more muscle. A lot of the Alaskans have the severely tilted pelvic bone that makes them faster but also causes issues with joints as the dogs age. I really don't like to see any dog with that insanely tilted pelvic bone because it will cause issues for the dog. But it does make the dogs faster before the joints start to fall apart.

There would be some guesswork involved, I'm sure, but extended weather forecasts can give some idea what the weather is likely to be. They have coats and booties for them, and there is straw at the checkpoints, anyway... Yeah, I don't like to see that kind of extreme modification for the sake of speed over the dogs' long-term welfare either! :(

Well folks, Lance says he's out of the running this year.

Sorry Mackey fans. Former champ says he can't win

Lance Mackey is 57 miles behind Iditarod leader Mitch Seavey. His go-to sled dog, Maple, is in heat and driving the rest of the team bonkers. Even the zipper on his jumpsuit is broken.

The Mackey comeback, it seems, will have to wait another year.

“I had similar issues last year. I’m down on dogs again,†Mackey said. “I had a goddamned breeding frenzy from the starting line that basically wore my dog team out.â€Â

He's not the only one.

A fifth Iditarod victory is out of the question, he said. “Not even close.â€Â

Mackey blames himself. Maybe he should have dropped Maple, a favored lead dog, early in the race. There were other leaders, he said. Instead, his team dogs chewed at harnesses during stops and refused to snack, distracted by Maple.

Who does Mackey think will win instead? You’d be surprised.

“If I had to put my money on a darkhorse, I’d say Sigrid. Her teams looks incredible. Pete Kaiser looks pretty interesting. I hate to say Dallas Seavey. I really do, because he’s not my favorite guy.â€Â

(Mackey, who's not known for pulling punches, says he thinks Dallas is “cocky and obnoxious.â€Â)

Conversely, Mackey said Aliy Zirkle would be “the perfect person†to represent the sport with a win, but suspects the musher may fade late in the race.

Oh no! The Pretty Curly Tails are having the same problem! Seven of Karen's team are in heat. I was wondering why she was moving so slow so suddenly, this explains a lot.

When puppy love goes wrong

Sometimes, when a mommy sled dog and a daddy sled dog love each other very much ... they create a world of heartache for an Iditarod musher.

“Unfortunately, every time we stop, things go wrong very quickly,†Alberta musher Karen Ramstead said recently in Nikolai, where she reported seven of her Siberian huskies were in heat.

Ramstead separated the genders along the gangline. Females were moved to the front of the team, the males chasing behind. “We’re expecting puppies in 63 days or so,†she said.

It is springtime, after all. And as is often the case during the Iditarod, several mushers in this year’s race say they’re battling to keep the dogs focused – or at least separated – because one or more females on the team are in season.

Ramstead had to pause her race twice on Tuesday to sit out what she called "ties" along the trail. "I wouldn’t want to explain it too graphically," she said.

Other mushers have experienced similar problems. Rainy Pass got R-rated for top teams run by Hugh Neff and Lance Mackey, armchair musher Sebastian Schnuelle reported Monday morning.

“Iditarpuppies!†Schnuelle wrote. “Some good genetics there. Talk about born and raised on the trail."

A few days later, in Takotna, Colorado musher Lachlan Clarke said he had to move one of his all-star runners, General Thelma,out of the lead dog position because she’s in season.

For other teams, too many females in season can disrupt fragile race schedules as much as bumpy trails or bad weather. And not just for the person driving the dog team.

Parking next to a racer with dogs in heat can distract your own team, said Knik musher Ray Redington Jr., who was in 8th place Friday afternoon.

“If I were to have it, I would send (the dog) home," Redington said. “They have pills for that, for us to give them, that prevents them from coming into heat."

The leaders are running the Yukon, with the current leader, Aliy Zirkle, just pulling into Nulato.

Current standings for those we're watching are:

Lance 22

DeeDee 7

Martin 26

Rohn 25

Karen 52

Hank 53

Pat Moon 55

Word is that some parts of the Yukon are going to see temperatures in the -40s tonight.

Nooooo lance :(

7 in heat?! Bloody hell!

I think Lance is going to Nome. He was just saying he isn't going to win. Seven in heat at once on the Iditarod trail qualifies as a version of hell, and probably pretty bloody too! ;)

Aliy Zirkle looks like she may take the race this year. It's been a while since a woman won so that would be nice. DeeDee has dropped back to 10th in Nulato but she may just be resting her dogs.

Wow. The media are saying Lance Mackey's days of mushing greatness are behind him. Can't say I agree with their conclusion.

Iditarod reign of Lance Mackey comes tumbling down

As the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race sped west along the Yukon River, four-time champ Lance Mackey and his team were sliding toward a strange place in race history, a place where the once-dominant racer struggles to regain championship form. The history of The Last Great Race is a tale of seemingly unstoppable dynasties losing the magic and then battling on for years in an effort to regain it.

Great sprint racing champion George Attla, the Huslia Hustler, once summed up the vagaries of sled-dog racing well with the observation that a great lead dog comes along but once in a lifetime -- if a musher is lucky. Attla might have understated it. Perhaps the core of a great team -- a super lead dog plus a few others -- comes along only once in a lifetime. Certainly this seems to be the case for Iditarod: There have been any number of dominant mushers, but no one has ever really stayed atop the heap for long.

Rick Swenson from Two Rivers once ruled the trail. So too did the late Susan Butcher from Eureka; Doug Swingley from Lincoln, Mont.; Martin Buser from Big Lake; and Jeff King from Denali Park.

<snip>

Of the Iditarod's historically dominant players, Buser is the only one to regularly win over a long string of years with largely different teams. Buser strung four victories over 11 years starting in 1992 and ending in 2002. He has not come close to winning since. King, it must be noted, did manage to bounce back to win in 2006 after an 8-year absence, but then along came Lance Mackey.

Mackey won every race from 2007 to 2010. His reign was reminiscent of those of old like Swenson, Butcher and Swingley. It ended last year with a 16th-place showing.

Suddenly, the dominant, once-feared musher had become something of an also ran. He vowed he'd be back. But it's not looking that way.

On Saturday morning, behind 10 fading dogs with hundreds of miles yet to go, Mackey made his way down the Yukon River in 22nd place. To finish close to the top-10, Mackey will need an extraordinary surge. It may be tough to finish in the money, among the top 30. Once the magic goes, the whole complexion of the Iditarod changes.

<snip>