Storms hit US

Val (Zebedee)

Living in tornado alley is and always will be a calculated risk. Our family is okay so far, though its been hell finding a time to take the dogs on walks, but my mom lost her car and the roof of her house yesterday, we're in for a nasty season.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using Tapatalk.

It's devastating. We have not had any tornadoes here in eastern Iowa, but not far in southern Illinois, parts of Indiana, and Ohio, they were not so lucky. I've seen what a tornado can do, after the fact, and it's scary. Hope everyone on the forum that may live in those areas, is safe and sound.

I heard about that.

It seems like we got the aftermath of it here in southern Ontario. Where I am (Sudbury), we got dumped with 20+ cm of snow overnight, plus another 10 cm of snow throughout today. Thunder + lightning in a blizzard looks pretty cool.

Where my parents are (St. Catharines), it didn't snow but it was REALLY windy tearing down powerlines and such.

Feel for the folk its affected but puzzled by it as well :confused:

Maybe one of you could explain !!!!!!!!!! I have never been to the US but its a massive place compared with the UK and I know if I lived somewhere that was hit by tornado's /earthquakes / floods / fires I would move and never understood why others don't and while we are on the subject why is it when ever we see it on the news all the houses have blown away have you never heard of bricks ???????????

Feel for the folk its affected but puzzled by it as well :confused:

Maybe one of you could explain !!!!!!!!!! I have never been to the US but its a massive place compared with the UK and I know if I lived somewhere that was hit by tornado's /earthquakes / floods / fires I would move and never understood why others don't and while we are on the subject why is it when ever we see it on the news all the houses have blown away have you never heard of bricks ???????????

The only safe place in a tornado is underground; wood will pierce even brick in a tornado, especially the higher end scaled ones. A tornado that's packing winds of 400Kph plus with the rotation and suction it has, nothing's going to last.

The only safe place in a tornado is underground; wood will pierce even brick in a tornado, especially the higher end scaled ones. A tornado that's packing winds of 400Kph plus with the rotation and suction it has, nothing's going to last.

Yeah I understand that but surely if all the houses where not made of wood in the 1st place there would not be as much of it flying around :confused: and that still don't explain where anyone would live in these types of area :confused:

Yeah I understand that but surely if all the houses where not made of wood in the 1st place there would not be as much of it flying around :confused: and that still don't explain where anyone would live in these types of area :confused:

That's what I say...if people don't like living in tornado alley...then move out!

Again, maybe they can't move out. Like they too poor to move somewhere else, or they have family ties there.

Bricks are still seriously dangerous. A tornado of violent intensity can clean a brick house from its foundation and all that brick becomes debris that's thrown around doing as much if not more damage than the wood. As it is, a lot of tornadoes lately have hit pretty forested areas so there's always wood flying around. But the homes thing is why there's so many people studying tornadoes lately, trying to build better homes that won't have the issues. What I don't get is why everyone doesn't have a basement in their home. Some people have storm cellars but to get to them you have to go outside the house. That's just... unreal to me. And trailers; I know they're cheaper than homes but honestly, they're not practical in that area of the world.

As for the people who live there... honestly, I don't know either. Family, it's their home, where they go to school... same as people who live along hurricane prone coastline, or in earthquake zones or volcano zones...