Neuter/Spay

Aya

Okay, obviously there are people out there that have neutered/spayed their pets, I might be a little uneducated in this area, but what is the advantage of doing this? I have always seen this as a cruel and wrong act ... I mean would anyone else like it if someone else decided to remove your reproductive organ ... I'm only asking because I met a person while walking Aya today and he recommended I spayed her, I looked at him in horror and replied "Definitely NO!". What came as a shock to me was he looked at me in horror and just shook his head, like I was giving Aya a death sentence or something - so I went home and google'd advantages of spaying - main thing I see is that it reduces aggression. I'm still against spaying because it is unnatural - does this make me evil and irresponsible? Should I consider spaying Aya (I kind of want to breed her so her lineage lives on)? Suggestions welcomed, please don't worry about insulting me I would like to hear all criticisms please.

There are more advantages to spaying - it reduces the risk for some diseases and cancer. And, what would be most important for me, eliminates the hassle of dealing with heats. You wouldn't have to worry about her moody behaviour and male dogs chasing after her.

Spaying/neutering seems unnatural to people in general, but dogs really don't care about that. If I had a female, I would definitely spay her, mostly for avoiding heats.

As to breeding Aya, you'd have to take into account many things before doing it and all can say is that if your only reason is that her lineage lives on, you shouldn't do it. You'd have to wait until she is at least 2 years old to breed her, you would have to do health testing - eye & hips, get the health history and temperament history of the dogs in her lines, but also of the male. You'd have to make sure that the male is a suitable match, health tested as well. Both dogs would need to have proven themselves as worthy specimens of the breed, either by working or showing. It's a long checklist - personally, I wouldn't breed just for the sake of it, considering how many unwanted dogs there are out there. I wouldn't want to bring in this world a litter of puppies that are not conform to the breed standard and that do nothing to improve the breed.

Most owners think that their dogs are beautiful and worthy of being bred, but the reality is that most huskies out there are not worthy of breeding, because of a mix of issues, like their build, potential health problems further down the line, unsuitable temperament and inability to do what they were bred for, ie pulling on a sled.

Notwithstanding all of these reasons not to breed, you'd also have to think about the well-being of Aya. Having a litter is not necessarily beneficial for females and with pregnancy, you have to consider the host of health problems you could encounter, which at worst might include losing her an the entire litter.

This thread has lots of useful info on the topic of breeding: http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/studding-information-sources.37278/

It's definitely worth a read.

All in all, I would be all for spaying her. Not doing so doesn't make you a monster, but I think it would make your life easier. Besides, dogs don't really care about this type of thing, so it wouldn't make an difference to her.

Yeah, I've read heaps on breeding, the owner I got Aya from is a professional breeder here in Melbourne, she owns over 20 sibes and competes them in competition and I regularly keep in contact with her. I don't really intend to breed Aya, just a thought to ponder if I ever really wanted a second sibe (and of course I will wait till she is at least 3-4 years old which was recommended). My older brother is also going to move out of home in a couple of years and he would love a sibe (he wants to take Aya with him but that isn't going to fly with me) - so it's just a consideration. In most case we will be buying from Aya's breeder because she has done a great job.

would anyone else like it if someone else decided to remove your reproductive organ

Dogs don't have a voice.

In the wild when a bitch comes into heat a dog will breed with that bitch and create more lives and the same goes when they are domesticated.

We are the dogs voice, we can reduce disease, cancer, health issues. We can reduce the number of unwanted dogs BY doing something about it before they are brought into this world.

Yeah, I've read heaps on breeding, the owner I got Aya from is a professional breeder here in Melbourne, she owns over 20 sibes and competes them in competition and I regularly keep in contact with her. I don't really intend to breed Aya, just a thought to ponder if I ever really wanted a second sibe (and of course I will wait till she is at least 3-4 years old which was recommended). My older brother is also going to move out of home in a couple of years and he would love a sibe (he wants to take Aya with him but that isn't going to fly with me) - so it's just a consideration. In most case we will be buying from Aya's breeder because she has done a great job.

Is your bitch AKC registered? main or limited papers? If she's on limited (pet) you cannot have a litter from her because the puppies will be unable to be registered but that doesn't stop you from doing the dodgy.

This thread is amazing, has helped me realize my own weakness. I do in fact see Aya as a 'perfect pup' - although I'm quite sure she has some faults, but they are cute faults in my eyes - I don't think I will be breeding her (just a thought really), and will go see a vet to discuss a perfect time to spay her. She is only 17 weeks of age so her heat cycle is some time away. I live in Australia so no she is not registered with AKC. If my brother wants a sibe we will have to ask Aya's breeder, but that is some time away as well. Thanks for some really helpful information guys, really appreciated.

Spaying will also prevent infections that can occur after seasons and phantom/false pregnancy. From what i've experienced it's not the most pleasant time for a female being in season, and i really don't want my girl to have to go through it twice a year for the rest of her life.

Sterilization - good for females, less pain and stress.;). Mine is now in the 1st season. So for three months sterilization;).I will do this hats late only coz vets in my area do not want to do this before. This has also good sides.

Spaying has lots of positive effects :) it helps your dog medically and mentally. First of all as you already know it reduces aggression level which would decrease same sex fights. Up next spaying reduces chances of cancer--LOTS of cancers. Breast cancer is one of it (I think). I guess since you already have enough links and comments to help you, let's take a look at the other side of spaying

Spaying negative effects: Idk about spaying, but neutering results in some additional kilos. Which means: your dog would get a bit fatter. Other than that your spayed dog could not enter the show ring since show dogs have to be un-spayed. Mentally, spaying would result in a lazier dog. Don't quickly expect a couch potato, tho! Because--spayed or not--that is still a Siberian Husky in your house!! :confused::P

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pros-and-cons-of-spaying-and-neutering-in-dogs-2/page1.aspx

prevention of cancer and pyometra are the main plus points

no seasons - means no stress for bitch AND owner - no bitch wanting to escape to find a mate - no worries bout accidental litters , no hassle from dogs who have escaped and come for miles hassling your dog - and no blood all over your floors ;)

ive just had my girl spayed (friday) and friday night she was very sleepy but saturday she was back to her old self - completely forgotten about what had happened to her

A mammary tumor is a tumor originating in the mammary gland. It is a common finding in older female dogs that are not spayed (the incidence rate is

one in 4 in unspayed female dogs over the age of 4), but they are found in other animals as well. The mammary glands in dogs are associated with

their nipples and extend from the underside of the chest to the groin on both sides of the midline.

Spaying – The Positive Side

• Spaying removes the risk of pregnancy.

Pet overpopulation is a serious issue and by allowing your dog to have litters, you are adding to the problem. Finding homes for yournew family additions is not as easy as you may think. Even if youchoose to keep the puppies, you now have the additional cost ofvaccines, parasite control, toys and food for several pets. In additionto costs, the health of the mother can be in jeopardy during delivery.Some new mothers can have serious complications delivering puppiesand can even develop health problems during nursing. All thesepotential problems can be avoided by spaying your dog.

• Spaying makes for a cleaner, calmer dog.

Without the drive to mate, your dog may be quieter and not prone toan incessant need to seek out a mate. The spayed dog no longerattracts males and their annoying advances and serenades. Dogswon't have a bloody discharge for several days while they are inheat. Without proper protective products, the discharge can stainsofas, bedding and carpets. Spayed pets are also easier to get alongwith. They tend to be more gentle and affectionate.

• Spaying keeps your dog healthier.

A final positive aspect of spaying your dog is that spayed pets tend to have fewer health problems. Spaying is the removal of the ovaries and uterus. Without these organs, ovarian cysts, uterine infections and cancer of the reproductive tract are no longer a concern. Studies have shown that dogs spayed before puberty have a significantly lower chance of developing breast cancer than unspayed dogs or dogs spayed later in life.

Pyometra is a result of hormonal and structural changes in the uterus lining. This can happen at any age, whether she has bred or not, and whether it is her 1st or 10th heat (although it becomes more common as the dog gets older). The main risk period for a female is for eight weeks after her peak standing heat (or estrous cycle) has ended.[1] Normally during this period, the cervix, which was open during her heat, begins to close, and the inner lining begins to adapt back to normal. However, cystic hyperplasia of the endometrium (inner lining of the uterus) – known as cystic endometrial hyperplasia (CEH) – may occur at this time for some animals, as an inappropriate response to progesterone.

Under these circumstances, bacteria (especially E. coli) that have migrated from the vagina into the uterus find the environment favorable to growth, especially since progesterone also causes mucussecretion, closes the cervix (preventing uterine drainage), and decreases uterine contractility.[2] The condition of the cervix is a major factor in the severity of the condition.

• If the cervix is open, the infected material can leave the body, and this is far easier and safer to treat. This is known as open pyometra.

• If the cervix is fully closed, there is no discharge from the vulva, and like in appendicitis, the uterus may rupture and pus escapes into the abdomen, causing peritonitis and possible rapid death. This is known as closed pyometra.[3]

Hi Aya!

Heat cycles are no fun to deal with. My Sibe Sarah had her first cycle in November and it was a full month of constant cleaning and care, protecting her from the males that camped out in my yard, worrying about aggressive males and carrying a stun gun when we took her out to potty, watching for signs of pyometra, handling her moodiness and attitude changes, etc. It really is a LOT of work, and if you aren't going to breed her it's work that isn't absolutely necessary over the course of the dog's life. We decided to wait to spay Sarah until after her first cycle to be sure her growth plates had closed but we're spaying her before her next cycle.

If you want another Sibe, I say go with the breeder. Because of the breed's history, only people very knowledgable regarding genetics and the breed standard are able to consistently produce healthy, quality pups. Unless you're ready and willing to spend several years learning the basics I wouldn't recommend even considering breeding Aya.

Another consideration is the life of each pup Aya produces. Can you be responsible for finding all of them solid, caring homes? If one of the pups ends up in a shelter or breed rescue can you bring the pup home and restore him to health before searching for another home? Multiply that by the number of pups in her litter--that's a lot of responsiblity. A good breeder not only is willing to do that, but makes returning the pup in the event of a life change or other disruption a requirement of the contract signed.

I know what you mean about wanting to see your precious lady reflected in a pup but honestly, it's not a good idea.

This thread is amazing, has helped me realize my own weakness. I do in fact see Aya as a 'perfect pup' - although I'm quite sure she has some faults, but they are cute faults in my eyes - I don't think I will be breeding her (just a thought really), and will go see a vet to discuss a perfect time to spay her. She is only 17 weeks of age so her heat cycle is some time away. I live in Australia so no she is not registered with AKC. If my brother wants a sibe we will have to ask Aya's breeder, but that is some time away as well. Thanks for some really helpful information guys, really appreciated.

Sorry, I didn't realize you wrote this until after I wrote my response to your opening post. Hope you'll stick around, and we'd love to see pictures of Aya!

For me, owning a spayed bitch is MUCH easier! When we got Siku, our first husky, we fell in love and toyed with the idea of breeding her cause she's such a wonderful dog. Then we started doing a bit of research and realized a few things a) we didn't know any health history about her family B) she has some major faults from the breed standard. So we bought Elara on a show on a show contract (meaning I would show her in AKC and possibly breed her if she did well and passed all her health tests). We got Siku spayed after a pyometra scare. Man I was freaking out about that! Anyway, things are so much easier when they're spayed. You don't have to worry about a stray dog mating with them (and boy do they come running!). We had a little black dog about dig up our fence to get into our back yard cause it smelled Elara in heat. I was a bout to kill that little dog! It about dug a hole big enough for my girls to get out! Plus Elara gets a bit moody when she's in heat and I can't bring her to dog parks or walk her around the block in fear of a male dog following us home when she's in heat. It's so much easier when she's out of heat. No blood, no moody dog, no male dogs trying to get in, but there's always that fear of pyometra for me. That just scares the heck out of me. Oh the joys of owning an unaltered dog! :sarcasm:

BTW, found out there is a shot you can give to males to make them steril and it only reduces their testosterone about 40% to 50%. It's called zinc- somthing I think. I'll have to look it up again if anyone's interested. Apparently it was sold in the US for a little bit, but the compnay was dumb and sold it for about the same price as a regular neuter and didn't do much advertising for it, so they took it off the market cause no one was buying it. But a new company is about to relaunch it in the US for much cheaper, so hopefully it will catch on. It would be a much easier way to sterlize dogs without having to neuter them.

Sorry, I didn't realize you wrote this until after I wrote my response to your opening post. Hope you'll stick around, and we'd love to see pictures of Aya!

Here you go:

post-11023-0-59131200-1389295705.jpg

post-6837-13586024238199_thumb.jpg

post-6837-135860242417_thumb.jpg

post-6837-13586024245182_thumb.jpg

post-6837-13586024272184_thumb.jpg