Poll: Off lead huskies by age

Ravenwolf

In conjunction with the Off Lead thread (http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/huskies-off-lead.27263/) I am curious as to the average age of huskies that people do let off lead.

If your husky is reliable off lead, please answer the poll with their current age.

If your husky is not reliable - aka has poor to no recall - but you let them off leash anyway in secure or remote places, please do not reply to poll (but feel free to comment!).

If your husky is a mixed breed - with anything other than malamute or wolf - please do not reply to poll (but feel free to comment!).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your first option is stretching it a bit. from what I've seen here, it looks as if those less than a year (maybe 9 months) are apt to have a lot better "recall" than those who are over a year - those pushing the "teen age" years. Since you haven't much response yet, you might want to reconsider that option (if you can?)

Had to stop after a certain age (see my comment)

uh-hmmm .... I can't seem to find the related comment .....

I think your first option is stretching it a bit. from what I've seen here, it looks as if those less than a year (maybe 9 months) are apt to have a lot better "recall" than those who are over a year - those pushing the "teen age" years. Since you haven't much response yet, you might want to reconsider that option (if you can?)

Re - read it a couple of times more.:D

I don't think I can... I initially had it that way, but I didn't want to make too many options. Guess I should have left it!

Moderators - is there any way I can edit the poll?

LOL, you're supposed add the related comment if you select that answer! Man, I suck at polls.

I don't think I can... I initially had it that way, but I didn't want to make too many options. Guess I should have left it!

Moderators - is there any way I can edit the poll?

LOL, you're supposed add the related comment if you select that answer! Man, I suck at polls.

Don't beat yourself up over it; it's a great idea.;)

Oh, I agree, it's a great poll idea. I just had my one comment and I hope that didn't come across as being severely critical.

Not at all! Mazz graciously made the change to the poll for me - just kicking myself because I originally had it that way and second-guessed myself and removed it, only to have it recommended as a good idea in the first place, LOL!

we had Myshka from a 10 week old pup. From the age she could go out after her jabs, we went to the fields at the back of the house & she was off lead (before we knew any different!). This continued till she was around 18 months old when she developed selective hearing & only that a hawk was driving her away from the nest & it's babies did she come back to us for protection! She was being dive-bombed the full length of the farmer's field! Since then, she is only off lead in a secure dog park.

I have a 1 a 2 and 3 yr old and without the training collars I use (radius up to 1 mile) none of them are 100% reliable off lead. :angry2:

Storm my middle (Mummys boy ) is the most reliable but even he catches a sniff on a breeze and if it takes his interest - I am underno illusion he'd be gone too. :kimba2:

However, with these aids I always have them off lead as I know I can keep them safe 100% of the time - but admittedly I never set them up to fail this % - I am still extremely cautious and prefer being in familiar surroundings or have a good focal view before I will feel that confident enough to let them off lead.

Sorry, I couldn't really answer the poll for myself as I cheat but would be really interested in the results - esp in the younger huskies owners responses - as I have seen one my dogs run off at approx 9 months (reliable till that point) - thankfully in a v large enclosed area - but they didn't know that.....if not enclosed they'd be gone :cry1:- hence the training aids. I won't risk my furbabies safety for anything. :lovebone::lovebone::lovebone:

We have 100ft leads for non secured areas. Good job too as Bear will only ever come back when she's good and ready. That said mind you, she won't stray more than about 40ft away. Not too far but not close enough to grab either! She also will run over to other dog walkers given the chance, for a stroke and a lick. Am thinking maybe a 50ft lead would stop some of that!

Ice leaded at all times. He's pure sibe, only a puppy so that may explain why so far he currently recalls every time for his favourite treats but that's never been tested off lead, or with the temptation of a juicy bunny rabbit nearby. Not really worth the stress or the risk, sibes are tricky buggers and I frankly don't trust either of them, pure or cross breed.

So i'm damned to a life time of untangling 100ft leads and man do they take aaaaaages to untangle!

we had Myshka from a 10 week old pup. From the age she could go out after her jabs, we went to the fields at the back of the house & she was off lead (before we knew any different!). This continued till she was around 18 months old when she developed selective hearing & only that a hawk was driving her away from the nest & it's babies did she come back to us for protection! She was being dive-bombed the full length of the farmer's field! Since then, she is only off lead in a secure dog park.

So you could vote 'had to stop after a certain age' then. LOL at the hawk! That would have been a sight to see!

So huskies that do have good recall but still dont get to go off lead dont vote? :P

Haha! Well, if you would trust them to come back when they are off lead in an unsecured area and they have proven that reliability (above and beyond "I'm coming because I don't realize I'm free!" I've had Wyatt recall obediently before in that type of instance), then sure!