Poll: Off lead huskies by age

Ravenwolf

Roxy is actually really good offlead (in a secure area) and her recall is amazing. I think that is mainly because she's a bit of a wimp and likes to stay near me or my OH. However, i've seen the way she looks at birds and squirrels on lead and i know that her intention may not be to run away from us but in chasing something else it may happen without her realising, and i wouldn't risk that.

I didn't vote, this is just what we do :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mine where fine till about 6 7 months old then they found out that the world doesnt revolve around me and interesting things arent attracted to me....that was the end of that. even now....they dont do well on recall if there is something else more interesting

I have a 1 a 2 and 3 yr old and without the training collars I use (radius up to 1 mile) none of them are 100% reliable off lead. :angry2:

Storm my middle (Mummys boy ) is the most reliable but even he catches a sniff on a breeze and if it takes his interest - I am underno illusion he'd be gone too. :kimba2:

However, with these aids I always have them off lead as I know I can keep them safe 100% of the time - but admittedly I never set them up to fail this % - I am still extremely cautious and prefer being in familiar surroundings or have a good focal view before I will feel that confident enough to let them off lead.

Sorry, I couldn't really answer the poll for myself as I cheat but would be really interested in the results - esp in the younger huskies owners responses - as I have seen one my dogs run off at approx 9 months (reliable till that point) - thankfully in a v large enclosed area - but they didn't know that.....if not enclosed they'd be gone :cry1:- hence the training aids. I won't risk my furbabies safety for anything. :lovebone::lovebone::lovebone:

can I ask what training aids you mean?

I will never let mine offlead. On 100ft leads they have no interest in me or what im saying!

So on the 100ft leads they stay.

We dont live anywhere near an offlead park so they have to put up with what they get lol

can I ask what training aids you mean?

I will never let mine offlead. On 100ft leads they have no interest in me or what im saying!

So on the 100ft leads they stay.

We dont live anywhere near an offlead park so they have to put up with what they get lol

we do the same....may mean hours of untaggling but at least we go home with 2 dogs every time

I voted for 1-2 earlier then was almost literally dragged away from my laptop.....only just come back and read the description...please ignore that vote :rolleyes:

Hahaha! No worries! Heh, I can't even vote on my own poll! Wyatt is completely unreliable and while Scout is supremely obedient he is also half german shepherd so I attribute his obedience entirely to that!

Glala used to be off lead in secure environments but at some point (I believe she was 1-2 years old? I hadn't met them by then) she randomly decided to stop listening and has never since relearned that ability. :rolleyes: Dana (~9yrs by now) used to be off lead to but the only reason *I* am not doing it any more is because I now have a long lead for them. She's fairly good with recall commands and never had a moment where she didn't came immediately after calling her. Even though she has never done it before, I wouldn't be surprised she'd be off when she sees a cat in the distance. What I know is that I don't want to test it out. However, it's nice knowing when Dana gets loose there's no real problem or hurry to get them on the leash again. She has never shown any desire to run at all.

The last time Dana got loose by accident she stopped immediately, waited for me to catch up to grab the leash again and only then wanted to continue the walk :rolleyes:

Hahaha! No worries! Heh, I can't even vote on my own poll! Wyatt is completely unreliable and while Scout is supremely obedient he is also half german shepherd so I attribute his obedience entirely to that!

Same here. Kiska's mother (the husky) is definitely not reliable off lead so it's her GSD dad that's make her the way she is :)