20 Gallon Aquarium With Green Spotted Puffer Fish

Paranormal Wolf

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! And what a bloomin good name! lol :P

Mum would love to get a puffer for our tank but we cant :(

Ours is 200litres so 40gallons or something im guessing :)

Thank you :D Puffers are neat little fish and pretty smart as far as fish go. You have to be careful with them for a few reasons though. They don't play well with other fish except other puffers. They are predatory and will eat smaller fish and nip fins of larger ones. They also have a beak or sometimes called teeth that grow constantly like rodent teeth. They have to eat shelled food at least once a week to keep them worn down, if not about 2 times a year they will have to be hand trimmed. Also while sold as freshwater fish they can only be in freshwater for a short time and then moved to brackish and eventually full marine water as they grow.

hjp75 read the post above and it'll say why they won't do well in a tropical tank. Also what kind of fish and shark are you going to have in the tropical tank? I haven't had tropical fish for a while now lol but use to have a variety. I've had a few sharks before, red-tail sharks are really pretty I think. I also have a 29 gallon that I'm setting up for goldfish. Will post pics when its up and going.

Thank you :D Puffers are neat little fish and pretty smart as far as fish go. You have to be careful with them for a few reasons though. They don't play well with other fish except other puffers. They are predatory and will eat smaller fish and nip fins of larger ones. They also have a beak or sometimes called teeth that grow constantly like rodent teeth. They have to eat shelled food at least once a week to keep them worn down, if not about 2 times a year they will have to be hand trimmed. Also while sold as freshwater fish they can only be in freshwater for a short time and then moved to brackish and eventually full marine water as they grow.

Yh thats why we cant get 1. We have 3 other fish that we've had for quite a while and are pretty small so dont really wanna kill them lol

Our tank is marine :) but mum REALLY wants some sea horses really. They are just so expensive! But gorgeous to look at :)

Yh thats why we cant get 1. We have 3 other fish that we've had for quite a while and are pretty small so dont really wanna kill them lol

Our tank is marine :) but mum REALLY wants some sea horses really. They are just so expensive! But gorgeous to look at :)

I've not yet had a full marine tank, will when the puffer is full grown lol. They can live 10+ years. I do think marine fish are so pretty though. Would love to have a clown fish and anemone. What kind of fish are in your tank?

I've not yet had a full marine tank, will when the puffer is full grown lol. They can live 10+ years. I do think marine fish are so pretty though. Would love to have a clown fish and anemone. What kind of fish are in your tank?

We have 2 clown fish, 1 filefish, 2 blennys, 1 purple reef lobster, 5 pretty big snails and a red brittle starfish :) used to have an anemone but it was dying and if we didnt get it out it would wipe out everything in our tank :(

Gorgeous! I have 3 tanks, but only one is up and running currently, a 40 gallon. All of my fish started dying of old age, and I just let it go for lack of time and money. Currently down to a largish goldfish (white with a red cap, a huge plecostomus, and a little neon tetra...

Awwww hes so cute, you should get some more like him so he has a pack to swim around lol. I got those one time from Wal*mart, but they failed to mention they needed the salt in the water and they died. I cried lol cause they were soooooo cute!

Cool.

we had three green spotted puffers once and they were fantastic! They sadly died about a month after we got them though. Were in a freshwater tank with a tiny amount of salt to hopefully make it a bit brackish. Was very upset when they died, we had a heavy snail infestation and they ate tons of them, perhaps thats what killed them?

Love your puffer pictures. Tank looks great!

Gorgeous! I have 3 tanks, but only one is up and running currently, a 40 gallon. All of my fish started dying of old age, and I just let it go for lack of time and money. Currently down to a largish goldfish (white with a red cap, a huge plecostomus, and a little neon tetra...

I have 2 tanks up and running now; a 20 and 29 gallon. Like you my fish had all died except the puffer (most of old age) so I decided while lacking fish to re-decorate the tanks. I just finished decorating my 29 and after I get some fish I'll post pictures of it. I'm going to get goldfish: a black moor, pearlscale, oranda, and something else.

Awwww hes so cute, you should get some more like him so he has a pack to swim around lol. I got those one time from Wal*mart, but they failed to mention they needed the salt in the water and they died. I cried lol cause they were soooooo cute!

I had 2 but one passed away a few weeks ago :( I had had them both for over a year. I do plan to get another to put in with this one :)

What a beautiful fish. Can you get a picture of him puffed up? :P

I've always wanted fish in my house, might be time to start thinking about it. :)

I've only seen him puff up once. Its a sign of stress or illness when they puff :( so while neat I hope I don't see him do it again LOL. Their bellies will also go from white to dark grey/black when stressed.

Cool.

we had three green spotted puffers once and they were fantastic! They sadly died about a month after we got them though. Were in a freshwater tank with a tiny amount of salt to hopefully make it a bit brackish. Was very upset when they died, we had a heavy snail infestation and they ate tons of them, perhaps thats what killed them?

Love your puffer pictures. Tank looks great!

They eat snails and other crustations but they are also little piggies and can eat themselves to death so that may have been what happened :( They are neat little fish though, pretty interactive once they get to know their owners lol. Scrappy will follow our fingers through the glass. They are almost puppy like at times.