20 Gallon Aquarium With Green Spotted Puffer Fish

Paranormal Wolf

I have 2 tanks up and running now; a 20 and 29 gallon. Like you my fish had all died except the puffer (most of old age) so I decided while lacking fish to re-decorate the tanks. I just finished decorating my 29 and after I get some fish I'll post pictures of it. I'm going to get goldfish: a black moor, pearlscale, oranda, and something else.

I had a bunch of goldfish in my 55 gallon tank in my kitchen - they got huge! The Black Moor I had was gorgeous! Make sure you go overboard with filtration!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bunch of goldfish in my 55 gallon tank in my kitchen - they got huge! The Black Moor I had was gorgeous! Make sure you go overboard with filtration!

Yeah I have a power filter on the 29 gallon that is for a 55 gallon tank lol I know how messy goldfish can get :D I've had a few over the years get almost a foot long but they were just the comets. My friend had a huge black moor but sadly he died a few weeks ago :( He has beautiful fins.

They eat snails and other crustations but they are also little piggies and can eat themselves to death so that may have been what happened :( They are neat little fish though, pretty interactive once they get to know their owners lol. Scrappy will follow our fingers through the glass. They are almost puppy like at times.

That's what I compared them too aswell, little puppies. It's something about their eyes and the way they follow you around the tank.

That's what I compared them too aswell, little puppies. It's something about their eyes and the way they follow you around the tank.

Yeah they do have a puppies face lol with their big eyes and cute little faces :3 Scrappy has gotten use to us and will follow us around the tank. He gets a brighter yellowish green spot on his head too which is a sign of happiness. The 3 little ones we got are still unsure about us so shy away when we are next to the glass. They are absolutely adorable because they are about the size of an oblong marble.

Yeah I have a power filter on the 29 gallon that is for a 55 gallon tank lol I know how messy goldfish can get :D I've had a few over the years get almost a foot long but they were just the comets. My friend had a huge black moor but sadly he died a few weeks ago :( He has beautiful fins.

I've had mine in a 55 gallon tank, and had several that were in the 5-6" range at a couple points in time. Most of mine were Oranda-types - none particularly well-bred fish, but fun, anyway!

Aw what a cute name LOL and btw how big would he get if he "puffed"? :rolleyes: Looking (and reading about) at all these exotic fishes reminded me that I once visit a pet shop and saw a mini stingray. God they're so cute! Like a flying saucer with eyes :wub:

I've had mine in a 55 gallon tank, and had several that were in the 5-6" range at a couple points in time. Most of mine were Oranda-types - none particularly well-bred fish, but fun, anyway!

I plan on having 4 in this tank and maybe next year moving them to a 55 gallon (which I've always wanted one). I have a smallish black moor at the moment and want to get a pearlscale, an oranda, and a ryukin :D

Aw what a cute name LOL and btw how big would he get if he "puffed"? :rolleyes: Looking (and reading about) at all these exotic fishes reminded me that I once visit a pet shop and saw a mini stingray. God they're so cute! Like a flying saucer with eyes :wub:

He was stressed out and puffed up once but didn't get too big. He did look like a little ball with fins though lol. I've seen some little stingrays before, they are beautiful!

We got 3 little tank mates for him, other puffers. We named the smallest one Kawaii, the medium sized one Mochi, and the bigger on Bizarro.

I plan on having 4 in this tank and maybe next year moving them to a 55 gallon (which I've always wanted one). I have a smallish black moor at the moment and want to get a pearlscale, an oranda, and a ryukin :D

Too bad you aren't closer - I have 2 that I'm not using at the moment - I would give you one!

Beautiful set-up! Do be careful and research for a marine tank--the chemistry can be tricky and the investment is big. Actually, the bigger the tank the more stable the environment when it comes to Marine set-ups. Then there's the decision whether or not to go reef style, fish only or combo the needs for each are unique to the biotope you choose. Temperature is a big factor depending on where the marine life you're keeping is located in the wild, some need cold water (chillers are needed) others are tropical often just the lighting is enough to provide the needed heat in fact they may be too hot which would again necessitate chillers to cool the water to the correct temp. Lighting is especially important if you're going to have some coral or tridacna clams in the mix. Then there's the proper chemistry for the coral and clams to get the needed calcium for their shells and the pH levels and salinity . . . It gets a bit complicated so research first what you want to set-up, then what it will take to set up what you want and the price $$$! These are the reasons I'm still with freshwater tanks rather than marine. BTW freshwater are a lot easier to transport than Marine if you find you have to move somewhere, the chemistry is not as complex as in the Marine environment. On the plus side, other than Discus or german Blue Rams you can't beat the vibrant colors or forms of marine life they really have BLING!! I wish you well and many happy years with your new hobby. It can be very rewarding! :clap: Carmen OFM

Beautiful set-up! Do be careful and research for a marine tank--the chemistry can be tricky and the investment is big. Actually, the bigger the tank the more stable the environment when it comes to Marine set-ups. Then there's the decision whether or not to go reef style, fish only or combo the needs for each are unique to the biotope you choose. Temperature is a big factor depending on where the marine life you're keeping is located in the wild, some need cold water (chillers are needed) others are tropical often just the lighting is enough to provide the needed heat in fact they may be too hot which would again necessitate chillers to cool the water to the correct temp. Lighting is especially important if you're going to have some coral or tridacna clams in the mix. Then there's the proper chemistry for the coral and clams to get the needed calcium for their shells and the pH levels and salinity . . . It gets a bit complicated so research first what you want to set-up, then what it will take to set up what you want and the price $$$! These are the reasons I'm still with freshwater tanks rather than marine. BTW freshwater are a lot easier to transport than Marine if you find you have to move somewhere, the chemistry is not as complex as in the Marine environment. On the plus side, other than Discus or german Blue Rams you can't beat the vibrant colors or forms of marine life they really have BLING!! I wish you well and many happy years with your new hobby. It can be very rewarding! :clap: Carmen OFM

Yeah I've been researching marine tanks on and off for a while and will do TONS more research as the time nears for my little guys to go full marine. They will definitely be in a bigger tank as they grow. They will most likely be the only fish in the marine tank as finding suitable tank-mates for green spotted puffers is tricky. They will eat or nip at almost any other fish other than puffers. I would love to add live coral but as I just start off with marine tanks will most likely use artificial until I have more experience. I've kept freshwater tanks for years, ever since I was a kid. I've had many varieties of tropical fish but find I prefer goldfish lol. There's just something about goldfish I love! A lot of people don't like them because they can be rather messy but as long as there's enough filtration I've not had a problem with a dirty tank. Mine rarely even gets cloudy at all and if so is quickly cleared up. When I get another tank (I can never just have 1; 2 in this case LOL) I'm thinking of setting up a cichlid tank with various colored blood parrot cichlids. I had an orange one for many years and it was a very entertaining fish.

We now have lake Malawi cichlids. They are great. I found the best effect to really show them off is White gavel/sand and large White rocks (cichlids love to hide and the gravel us part of their mating ritual, won't tell you too much about that as it's really rude!) the White really makes them stand out!

Yeah I've been researching marine tanks on and off for a while and will do TONS more research as the time nears for my little guys to go full marine. They will definitely be in a bigger tank as they grow. They will most likely be the only fish in the marine tank as finding suitable tank-mates for green spotted puffers is tricky. They will eat or nip at almost any other fish other than puffers. I would love to add live coral but as I just start off with marine tanks will most likely use artificial until I have more experience. I've kept freshwater tanks for years, ever since I was a kid. I've had many varieties of tropical fish but find I prefer goldfish lol. There's just something about goldfish I love! A lot of people don't like them because they can be rather messy but as long as there's enough filtration I've not had a problem with a dirty tank. Mine rarely even gets cloudy at all and if so is quickly cleared up. When I get another tank (I can never just have 1; 2 in this case LOL) I'm thinking of setting up a cichlid tank with various colored blood parrot cichlids. I had an orange one for many years and it was a very entertaining fish.

You've got the secret to successful goldfish raising! They do need well oxygenated water and they do eat a lot; what goes in must come out!! Efficient filtration is essential as well as good to excellent aeration the more space for the goldfish the better!

If you do decide on a reef-tank set-up keep in mind that puffers are coral eaters, especially the hard (calciferous) corals and if there aren't enough corals in the tank the puffers will eliminate them completely. FYI, Puffers or blowfish are considered somewhat edible but great care must be taken in the preparation otherwise the meat contains a very virulent neurotoxin that will paralyze and kill an individual within an hour after ingestion. This is especially true of the tiger puffer, the chinese and japanese sushi chefs are trained in preparing puffer. One slip in preparation and the chopsticks clatter uselessly on the dish, the first sign of poisoning. :jawdrop:There's no antidote either.:omg: So, keep them as pets but do not eat then unless you are trained in puffer preparation!:yikes: Carmen OFM

You've got the secret to successful goldfish raising! They do need well oxygenated water and they do eat a lot; what goes in must come out!! Efficient filtration is essential as well as good to excellent aeration the more space for the goldfish the better!

If you do decide on a reef-tank set-up keep in mind that puffers are coral eaters, especially the hard (calciferous) corals and if there aren't enough corals in the tank the puffers will eliminate them completely. FYI, Puffers or blowfish are considered somewhat edible but great care must be taken in the preparation otherwise the meat contains a very virulent neurotoxin that will paralyze and kill an individual within an hour after ingestion. This is especially true of the tiger puffer, the chinese and japanese sushi chefs are trained in preparing puffer. One slip in preparation and the chopsticks clatter uselessly on the dish, the first sign of poisoning. :jawdrop:There's no antidote either.:omg: So, keep them as pets but do not eat then unless you are trained in puffer preparation!:yikes: Carmen OFM

Yeah I've watched a few shows about chefs having to be trained to prepare puffer fish for consumption. I would be much to paranoid and chicken to try it though lol. With my luck I would get poisoned haha. The little green spotted puffers only get 6 inches so they wouldn't have much meat to begine with. Guess they could make a snack for someone who enjoyed puffer fish :P