Am I being unreasonable?.....

grumps

Just had one of my neighbours at the door requesting that I don't allow my dog into MY garden because her cats come through it too often... I was stood with my mouth open and eyebrows so high they actually hovered over my head. When eventually I realised it was a serious request and not a bad joke I was actually speechless (which isn't like me at all). I'm afraid I offered some choice advice on how to keep her cat safe and shut the door in her face before I really lost it. Am I wrong in thinking her cats will be putting themselves at risk for wandering through or do I have a warped set of values for believing my garden, my dog my choice???

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no you are totally right, its YOUR garden!

I hate how some people with cats assume that their cat has right of way everywhere! Our neighbours cats used to come into our garden... Not anymore!

:confused: that's totally random and highly irritating. Is your yard completely fenced? It's really a dumb thing to say to your neighbor (her saying that to you that is) and I'd be worrying if all her bread was really in her basket :confused:

On the other hand if it is a concern for YOU they have planets and stuff you can put around your yard that will deter them if YOU feel it is necessary.

ur garden ur dog - what are you supposed to do - hopefully the cat is clever enough to smell the dogs and start avoiding ur garden

if ur worried tho just check the cat isnt in ur garden when u let ur dog out

i'd certainly check first anyway, but I thought it was a real liberty coming to my door and asking me to not allow my dog into its own garden because she expects her cats to have right of way. I know I couldn't bring myself to knock on someones door to ask something like that, i'd be ashamed of myself for even thinking it.

i'd certainly check first anyway, but I thought it was a real liberty coming to my door and asking me to not allow my dog into its own garden because she expects her cats to have right of way. I know I couldn't bring myself to knock on someones door to ask something like that, i'd be ashamed of myself for even thinking it.

yeh she takes the biscuit for sure - its ur garden u have every right to let ur dog out in ur garden

cat repellers ;)http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cat+repellent&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=9036920821&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=767176565621534339&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_slt2sbik3_b

These devices: I don't think they're really suitable for this situation. I can definitely hear them. I don't always hear them clearly but they always cause an insta-headache when they turn on. I once walked past a garden that had such device and the huskies where going nuts about it. They heard it too and definitely did not liked it :( I'm avoiding that street altogether as I absolutely can't stand that sound.

trying again!!

Shame you can't get repellants for stupid neighbours. - tell her you don't want her cats in YOUR garden anyway.

These devices: I don't think they're really suitable for this situation. I can definitely hear them. I don't always hear them clearly but they always cause an insta-headache when they turn on. I once walked past a garden that had such device and the huskies where going nuts about it. They heard it too and definitely did not liked it :( I'm avoiding that street altogether as I absolutely can't stand that sound.

theres a list of other things too - sprays and 'scare-cats' too

Check the by-laws in your area to determine if cats are even allowed to wander in your town/city. Most places (here anyway) it is technically illegal (and as far as I'm concerned stupid of an owner - average lifespan of an outdoor cat is only 3 years :confused:) to allow your cat to roam.

While it will help your case to inform her that letting her cat out is technically illegal, it's really a moot point. She lets her cat wander into the outside world at her risk. It is not your responsibility to protect her cat. Did she ask you and other neighbours to please stop driving your cars because you might run over her cat on the road (which is how a lot of them are killed)?

Her cats have no business in your yard. They shit in people's gardens, taunt animals in windows, kill no end of wildlife and insects in the neighbourhood (the domestic cat actually has the largest prey range of any animal on earth, if Animal Planet is to be believed!). If she's worried about your dog, so long as your dog is secured in your yard, you have done your due diligence and it's up to her to protect her cats. I'm sure your dog isn't the only one in the area, either.

Wow.

You're not being unreasonable at all! Hopefully the cat is smart enough to stay out of your yard when your husky is out - or else your owner might end up with a dead kitty! If that was the case (hopefully not), I don't think the owner could really do anything legally against you because a) Your husky would be secure in YOUR yard. B) Her cat would be on your property; therefore trespassing c) You warned her that your dog has a high prey drive and her cat might get killed.

This is part of the reason why I don't really like cat people - they think their cats should have rights to everything!

What's next!? Will they argue that the city should put crosswalks for their cats so they can cross safely!?

Ridiculous!

I was going to say i thought a husky was a perfect cat repellant!

Our neighbour had a little dog (pup at time) who dug a little hole under our fence and came into our garden continually, this was before we had dogs, he thought our garden was his territory and used to bark madly at my kids playing in it. The neighbour was not impressed with me going round and telling her to keep my dog out of her garden (i wasn't impressed!), anyway the dog got in there one morning when the window cleaner was round (wanted to attack him) and poor woman looked most sheepish when i pointed out that the dog either got under a hole in the garden or jumped the 6 foot fence. Never saw it again!